Perspective for this holiday weekend.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
I think we all get caught up in the pageantry of college football and other sports as well and forget the most important things in life. I’m thankful to be a small part of one of the greatest fan bases in all of America and also a part of this great message board family.
https://twitter.com/_alexbyington/status/1463691609296584706?s=21

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yep, it's fun even though it can be agonizing. This season has been an awesome ride no matter how it turns out. In the words of the great philosopher Tae "we need to whoop some ass".

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Also thankful for the most boner-ific college baseball stadium I've ever seen!

Thankful to be loyal and true, boys and girls!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I think we all get caught up in the pageantry of college football and other sports as well and forget the most important things in life. I’m thankful to be a small part of one of the greatest fan bases in all of America and also a part of this great message board family.
https://twitter.com/_alexbyington/status/1463691609296584706?s=21
Man, he's bordering on a Gundy rant. Almost got there. Almost.

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
Only a small handful of times in school history have we gone into the final game of the regular season with a realistic shot at a national championship. Regardless of what happens the next two weeks, don't forget to enjoy the moment and remember what got us here.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The evolution of the popularity of college football and the addition of the CFP is both good and bad.
When your team is in the hunt for the CFP, coverage and praise of your team is expansive and wildly fulfilling. Fun to wake up every day with pride and anticipation.
When your team is out of the CFP but still in the hunt for a conference championship, coverage of your team is moderate to good but mostly short of fulfilling. You wake up every day with the hope of winning the conference and spoiling someone else’s party.
But when youre both out of the CFP and the conference race, your team is mostly forgotten and only mentioned when you can spoil another teams season. As a fan you feel ignored and irrelevant to the rest of the college football world and wake up every day just wanting the season to end. The teams with CFP hope get all the attention and coverage, unlike the years before the addition of the CFP. Really sucks for 100 or so teams every year.

Enjoy the ride Poke fans, we don’t get this opportunity every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The evolution of the popularity of college football and the addition of the CFP is both good and bad.
When your team is in the hunt for the CFP, coverage and praise of your team is expansive and wildly fulfilling. Fun to wake up every day with pride and anticipation.
When your team is out of the CFP but still in the hunt for a conference championship, coverage of your team is moderate to good but mostly short of fulfilling. You wake up every day with the hope of winning the conference and spoiling someone else’s party.
But when youre both out of the CFP and the conference race, your team is mostly forgotten and only mentioned when you can spoil another teams season. As a fan you feel ignored and irrelevant to the rest of the college football world and wake up every day just wanting the season to end. The teams with CFP hope get all the attention and coverage, unlike the years before the addition of the CFP. Really sucks for 100 or so teams every year.

Enjoy the ride Poke fans, we don’t get this opportunity every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While this may be reality, it should never be our reality. When we make bowl games and have winning seasons it's still a great deal of fun for the fans and players. Even when we lose, we should applaud good effort. A follower / fan of a football program doesn't have to ONLY care when his team is winning at the very highest of levels. In fact, I'd argue that's not even fandom. I can't think of a season I just wanted to end...always hoping that we play better the next game, that we see a glimmer of hope at one of the main positions like QB...college football fans aren't just fans of the team but of the culture and the University where they may have attended or their family attended, somewhere they work, or some other attachment to the school gives them pride and inserts them into a "family." These aren't fleeting things like wins and losses...We should be Thankful college isn't pro football; this is the difference in it. I personally really don't have that much interest in Pro football because I'm not a part of a culture there and the culture there seems like a far different thing. Oklahoma State University...which has a football team AND an amazing culture of learning in many ways, not just involving books...on the other hand, I'm very interested in. "We" are shaping hearts and minds into a "Cowboy Culture" that strives to serve it's fellow man (and woman) and to better society in doing so.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2008
Canyon Texas
While this may be reality, it should never be our reality. When we make bowl games and have winning seasons it's still a great deal of fun for the fans and players. Even when we lose, we should applaud good effort. A follower / fan of a football program doesn't have to ONLY care when his team is winning at the very highest of levels. In fact, I'd argue that's not even fandom. I can't think of a season I just wanted to end...always hoping that we play better the next game, that we see a glimmer of hope at one of the main positions like QB...college football fans aren't just fans of the team but of the culture and the University where they may have attended or their family attended, somewhere they work, or some other attachment to the school gives them pride and inserts them into a "family." These aren't fleeting things like wins and losses...We should be Thankful college isn't pro football; this is the difference in it. I personally really don't have that much interest in Pro football because I'm not a part of a culture there and the culture there seems like a far different thing. Oklahoma State University...which has a football team AND an amazing culture of learning in many ways, not just involving books...on the other hand, I'm very interested in. "We" are shaping hearts and minds into a "Cowboy Culture" that strives to serve it's fellow man (and woman) and to better society in doing so.