Pastrana leaving staff for Florida

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
Multiple reports of basketball assistant Erik Pastrana leaving for Florida job. I know he's from Florida but I thought he and Boynton were tight, and Boynton brought him up to his first high major job. I am surprised by this one a bit. Not sure what the play from Pastrana here is.

Oct 30, 2007
I didn't see this coming. I hope it wasn't over money. Florida has deeper pockets than us, and the SEC just distributed an extra $23 million per school to help deal with the deficits from the pandemic. They may have offered him a raise we couldn't match. He may have just wanted to move back to his home state though, so who knows.

I hate it when we lose good assistant coaches to lateral moves. Hopefully Coach Boynton can find someone just as good or better to replace him.

Sep 23, 2010
I'm guessing it's a combo of money and moving back home. He also probably thinks he can land a small D1 job better in that region if he's in that region where most of his familiarity exists.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
That’s a shame, I loved him in those Twitter clips last year where him and Boynton did quick break downs of the incoming commitments tape. He was really cool and young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Both of the assistants that left Florida did so to take head coaching jobs. He might see this as an opp to get more exposure and a HC gig sooner. Also, assistants want to move and learn different aspects from various HC's.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Oh wow, according to the article Pastrana is the reason Cade Cunningham signed with Oklahoma State.

It’s a local article hyping up a hire, they’re going to link anything good that happened at the former job to him. We should all know the story by now of Boynton offering Cade as a freshman thinking he was already a senior that’s relationship is reason 1A he came here, reason 1B is Cannen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Oh wow, according to the article Pastrana is the reason Cade Cunningham signed with Oklahoma State.

Wordsmithing for the press release but did not take it as "responsible for". Could probably be said that all coaches do it to some degree, just not to the degree of a George O'Leary. I had a guy work on my architecture team for one day pushing out redlines for construction drawings at the 11th hour. Years later I come across his resume when I was at another firm, complete with photos of the project and his heightened responsibility. Resume padding is as old as time.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Having success as a program means that your best assistant coaches will have opportunities to progress in their careers. Since most of them probably aspire to move up, it stands to reason that we should actually want our assistants to get opportunities over time. If our HC is really good, he can bring in good assistants as needed to continue building the program.

Nov 6, 2010
Having success as a program means that your best assistant coaches will have opportunities to progress in their careers. Since most of them probably aspire to move up, it stands to reason that we should actually want our assistants to get opportunities over time. If our HC is really good, he can bring in good assistants as needed to continue building the program.
Good assistants with relationships with high level recruits.