PAC 12 Expansion talks again

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
At this point the Big 12 has a better chance at robbing the Arizona schools than the Pac has at picking off any Big 12 schools.

Yes, Because Bob Bowlsby seems to be a forward thinking individual; And I'm sure both schools would love to not have a guaranteed game in Los Angeles EVERY year with all of the talent they snag from the Southland?

I wouldn't want us to consider a move to the Pac 12 without 2of the three of Texas Tech, Houston or TCU (no way in hades Baylor gets an invite and Texas is the main problem with the Big 12)

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yes, Because Bob Bowlsby seems to be a forward thinking individual; And I'm sure both schools would love to not have a guaranteed game in Los Angeles EVERY year with all of the talent they snag from the Southland?

I wouldn't want us to consider a move to the Pac 12 without 2of the three of Texas Tech, Houston or TCU (no way in hades Baylor gets an invite and Texas is the main problem with the Big 12)
Ain’t happening

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I agree it ain't happening. I feel like the guy in the 90's telling everyone to legalize marijuana and just tax it.

I feel OSU is relegating itself to a beta role in the current Big 12; Which is a fragile conference at best. I feel like everyone that lives within the Big 12 states can't see what a cluster-F it really is.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I agree it ain't happening. I feel like the guy in the 90's telling everyone to legalize marijuana and just tax it.

I feel OSU is relegating itself to a beta role in the current Big 12; Which is a fragile conference at best. I feel like everyone that lives within the Big 12 states can't see what a cluster-F it really is.
And yet you are advocating joining the cluster f of all cluster f of conferences? Whatever bad the big 12 has going, the pac is worse.
The only way they merge is if some pac schools leave and join the big 12

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

So every time the Big 12 Commish gets trashed for having no.....fill in the blanks, I"m amazed at the lack of realization that he has exactly the power that the schools want him to have, and that's it. People said the same things about Dan Beebe. The Commish has changed, but the schools remain. Do the math there.

As for 'forward thinking', I hope to god you're not referencing Larry Scott with that comment. Dude's so out of touch he shows up at their football media days talking about how they need to emphasize the Olympic sports more.

For the record, I was actually excited about the possible move to the PAC12 a few years back, but now, not so much.

Sep 9, 2013
WVU's tier 3 rights are 9-9.5 million a year. that was in 2019, the last year i could find.
Now add that 9.5 to the Big 12's payout per team:
School payouts

Big Ten: $54.3 million

SEC: $45.5 million

Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million

Pac-12: $33.6 million

ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

WVU is making 20 million a year more than Clemson and FSU, and 4 million a year more than Bama and LSU.
Dont know how much Cowboys get in tier 3 money, but they are not in top 4(OU, Texas, Kansas, and WVU). But they still get 3-4 million(guess).

Now, who wants to head off to the PAC, which has no fans? Because the new TV deals will care less about markets and more about streaming customers. A team Like Texas Tech or Iowa State will have more payout than big market teams with very few actual fans. Can we say almost all of the west coast.

Big 12 is ideally situated with state schools making up most of the conference. No clue why the big 12 took TCU when it replaced the 4 teams that left, but that was a mistake. I like TCU, but the Big 12 should've invited another school with large fanbase. UCF has like 60000 students, most in US.

Anyhow, the Big 12 is going to be fine. Texas and OU make out like bandits with tier 3, and WVU, Kansas, and likely others do more than just fine. Tier 3 rights are in addition to conference payout that is already higher than PAC and ACC.

Why would Texas or OU go anywhere to make less money and have more travel? They won't.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Disagree, and curious why it hasn’t happened then.
In terms of the Arizona Schools?

1. Draw lines between the conferences. There are a lot of social political doings there. Arizona is a closer fit to the Big 12 than the Pac in this regard.
2. Arizona is closer to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and probably even ISU than it is to most of its conference.
3. Nobody left in the Big 12 will ever go to the Pac. Ever.

Nov 6, 2010
I do really think our conference needs to add 2 more teams. We probably are stable enough to attract at least one Pac team if not two, but with all the rest of the schools in the country as options, I think we should easily be able to find two schools that would add value.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Because of politics?
Because of the major differences between Arizona, Colorado and Utah?

Because of Coronavirus?
California, Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Colorado all had a lower death rate per million than Oklahoma.
(Arizona had one of the highest death rates, because of the significantly older population)

Why wouldn't Oklahoma State want to be in the Pac 12?
If there is an SEC or even ACC invite, we should absolutely take it! (there won't be a Big 10 invite)

I think sticking in the Big 12 and hoping for the best with Bowlsby is pretty similar to betting on us covering Bedlam; It may feel good, and I'd love for it to work out. Recent history would indicate it's not smart money.
if anything of this capacity were to happen it needs to be 4 PAC12 schools joining the Big12, or even just the AZ schools. btw, the PAC is a much bigger crap show than the Big12.....

Last edited:

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I do really think our conference needs to add 2 more teams. We probably are stable enough to attract at least one Pac team if not two, but with all the rest of the schools in the country as options, I think we should easily be able to find two schools that would add value.
I don't see any Power Five school leaving their conference for the Big 12 with Bowlsby in charge and Texas not allowing a Big12 Network.

UCF and BYU are the two most marketable brands not in a P5 conference - aside from Notre Dame which is casually joining the ACC.

Houston is cool, but brings nothing to the table. Cincinnati is the fourth biggest brand in their own city (Ohio State, Kentucky and Louisville)

Sep 9, 2013
Obviously someone on this board is unaware of the MAJOR recruiting violations at arz state, which will result in herm edwards being fired, and the AD. ARZ state isnt in the sec, and they are not a blue blood. The NCAA WILL make an example out of them.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Obviously someone on this board is unaware of the MAJOR recruiting violations at arz state, which will result in herm edwards being fired, and the AD. ARZ state isnt in the sec, and they are not a blue blood. The NCAA WILL make an example out of them.
Did you scoop this info in the Denny's parking lot on Broadway?

Sep 9, 2013
Did you scoop this info in the Denny's parking lot on Broadway?
i read news articles, i dont just look at the pictures.

Quick google, but ive read a few articles--this is bad stuff.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ing-violations-during-dead-period-per-report/

Big 12 fans also need to keep in mind that Amazon Just obtained the exclusive rights to TNF for the NFL. If ESPN and Fox dont pony up the cash for the big 12 in 2024, Amazon, which is sitting on 1.6 trillion in cash, will.

I mean if Amazon wanted to make it happen, it could get LSU, FSU, Clemson, and Arkansas to join the big 12.

Money talks and Amazon has it. It will be interesting to see what Amazon does when the PAC 12's tv deal expires, which will be the 1st of the power 5 conferences.

Last edited: