OU Wrestling Drops Bedlam in Norman

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Regardless, they had to wrestle us because they're in the Big 12 and that was a conference dual. OU didn't duck us... they just decided to not host us as an out-of-conference matchup.
From dictionary.com:

Ducking: to avoid or evade a blow, unpleasant task, etc.; dodge.

Deciding to not host us, whether OOC or in-conference, when we've traditionally wrestled home and home, is ducking us. Fresno State could have forfeited and save their wrestlers some humiliation. They didn't, they nutted up and took it. Good for them and puke on the goons for sticking their tails between their legs.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
you must not follow wrestling much, their "slob" coach is excellent, it is just a rebuilding job and why embarrass themselves twice against their rival if they don't have to and hurt morale and recruiting? I'm not saying I agree but I actually can understand his thought process.......and he will have 0u as a top 10 team again in less than 5 years
God, what a wimp. We played them for decades in football constantly getting the crap kicked out of us, but did we start whining about how it affected our recruiting and team morale? HELL, NO!! We took the whipping and tried to get better. Never did we whine about anything, but WANTING to win once in a while.
That ou coach is a pu**y. What's worse is that there's no outcry from the AD or swooner fans, which just goes to show you how cowardly they all are. They only come out when the times are good.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
"The problem this year is when you have had two dual meets with Oklahoma every year for 50 years, this past weekend was a weekend we were scheduled to have a dual meet so we had to move some things around. We didn't have that. I think it's only a one-year situation where that's the case, so you can't really add someone and expect to go back to them when you bring them here and we have to go back down to Oklahoma next year. For that reason, we added some tournaments and we haven't normally had those on the schedule. I think you'll see that next semester will be nice for us with the standpoint of being able to wrestle at home."

This was from John Smith he said it before the Wyoming dual, not sure why the DOK made it sound like it just happened. It's just not that big of a deal and ultimately it could pay off for the Pokes because with their schedule they faced some real (for college sports that is) adversity as a result, still probably fighting for 3rd but his guys have been through the grinder.
The guy at OU would have been t3 for anyone who was looking for a coach so I think it's a bit silly to label him based off this. I guess we will have to see but I expect they will be back competing at a high level in short order.
OU has an excellent technical teacher involved now and they have money, money always shortens the lead time and if he doesn't get it done then I expect they will move on.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Only 1 automatic NCAA qualifier for ou by my count and even he wrestled below seed.
I don’t believe a single wrestler even met seed.

And their home run hire of a coach sat in his chair, emotionless. I would be irate if I were an OU fan. Every single one of OSUs coaches is involved. Not a one is quiet...especially not HCJS.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Only 1 automatic NCAA qualifier for ou by my count and even he wrestled below seed.
They got three: 125, 165, and 174. But their best finisher was fourth.

What's really sad is that as awful as they were, they did the best of the full conference members aside from us. OU, ISU, and WVU finished 6th, 7th, and 9th. As a group, those three only scored 16 more team points than we did ourselves.

Jul 11, 2007
They got three: 125, 165, and 174. But their best finisher was fourth.

What's really sad is that as awful as they were, they did the best of the full conference members aside from us. OU, ISU, and WVU finished 6th, 7th, and 9th. As a group, those three only scored 16 more team points than we did ourselves.
You're right. I was looking at the wrong year for automatic qualifiers apparently.