OU coach gone: official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 12, 2007
Earlier Saturday night, SI Sooners inadvertently published a story reporting that Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning was being hired as the next head football coach at the University of Oklahoma. As of 8:30 p.m. Saturday night, Oklahoma has not named its new head coach. SI Sooners regrets the error.

Jan 14, 2006
Just read that Aranda let the Sooners think he was interested but wouldn't talk to them until after the game.

Then told them no after they waited on him.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Depending on the staff he picks up, I find this a very meh hire.
I love it. Venables will bring back the kind of mentality that they lost over these last half dozen years. They will be a very good solid defensive team who will recruit along with the best. So I expect quality defense like they have had at Clemson. Before you get your panties twisted, I didnt say I expect a clemson defense. But lets not forget that Venables was the king of defense over there so everything they did on that side of the ball since 2012, so I do expect drastic improvement on D on the field and in recruiting. He's an OU guy and the type of guy who his players really love. So they'll play hard for him.

If he get Lebby as OC, and Moffit as strength coach, then this will be overall a better staff than they had 2 weeks ago. Pretty excited at the potential of what is possible here. Especially if they manage to keep Williams.

Dec 9, 2013
No way this was a 1st 2nd or maybe even 3rd choice. If it was this was done last Monday or Tuesday to stop the bleed on transfer portal and decommits.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Depending on the staff he picks up, I find this a very meh hire.
I love it. Venables will bring back the kind of mentality that they lost over these last half dozen years. They will be a very good solid defensive team who will recruit along with the best. So I expect quality defense like they have had at Clemson. Before you get your panties twisted, I didnt say I expect a clemson defense. But lets not forget that Venables was the king of defense over there so everything they did on that side of the ball since 2012, so I do expect drastic improvement on D on the field and in recruiting. He's an OU guy and the type of guy who his players really love. So they'll play hard for him.

If he get Lebby as OC, and Moffit as strength coach, then this will be overall a better staff than they had 2 weeks ago. Pretty excited at the potential of what is possible here. Especially if they manage to keep Williams.
Yep, they’ll be a good defensive team for the guy they fired for having a bad defensive team.

And they’ll play hard for him because they didn’t play hard for someone else.

And the new second string staff will be better than the last best staff in college football.

And you’re super excited get your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, uh, whatever choice, you’re super excited to get a HC with ZERO career wins.

And you’ll be super excited to find out the real reason why Riley left. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Yep, they’ll be a good defensive team for the guy they fired for having a bad defensive team.
Do you have any documentation to back that claim?

No, that's not why they'll play hard for him.

And the new second string staff will be better than the last best staff in college football.
'Second string staff" isnt a thing though.

And you’re super excited get your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, uh, whatever choice, you’re super excited to get a HC with ZERO career wins.
No, I said I'm pretty excited at the potential of what is possible here. Especially if they manage to keep Williams.

We already know why though.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Do you have any documentation to back that claim?

No, that's not why they'll play hard for him.

'Second string staff" isnt a thing though.

No, I said I'm pretty excited at the potential of what is possible here. Especially if they manage to keep Williams.

We already know why though.
Well, it wasn’t because he was seeking a different opportunity.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2013
Houston

Wait Wait Wait, gimme a minute, Im still laughing about yesterday!!

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
So this was the hire that had all the ou bigwigs grinning like idiots a few days ago????? I'm not saying BV sucks but don't act like getting him was some sort of coup.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
So this was the hire that had all the ou bigwigs grinning like idiots a few days ago????? I'm not saying BV sucks but don't act like getting him was some sort of coup.
Yes, this is that hire.

Well considering what he's done on the recruiting trail and on the field with his defense, this is a very nice direction to be going in. OU playing sissified defense really didnt feel right and didnt feel like OU. Glad to get away from the finesse type of players that riley and grinch liked. All they really need now, like they did in 2015 with the riley hire, is a great OC. And Lebby could be that guy.

Get Lebby and Moffit (the lsu strength coach), and it's looking more like a coup. Like the kind of thing that will keep OU competing for championships.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I love it. Venables will bring back the kind of mentality that they lost over these last half dozen years. They will be a very good solid defensive team who will recruit along with the best. .
Wait....didn't they send him packing because their defense sucked ass, and they thought Mikey could do better?

Talk about delusional.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Wait....didn't they send him packing because their defense sucked ass, and they thought Mikey could do better?

Talk about delusional.
More like he didnt want to share a defense with stoops, he wanted to run the show and nepotism was too much to overcome. He left on his own volition, and nearly came back before the ink dried. But go ahead and rewrite history