OU coach gone: official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Serious question. Has OU issued any junk bonds as part of their debt structure? If so, have their bonds taken a ratings hit with Riley leaving? How have they performed since announcing the move to the SEC?

Debt ratings analysts are historically very savvy regarding the ability of the issuer to service their debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Saban goes to OU. I don't think Bama would allow that to happen. (Meaning they would bring in all their big boosters to pay him 20MM a year)
Plus he has this little caveat in his contract. Nick Saban must be "paid at least as much as the average total pay of the top three SEC coaches or top-five NCAA coaches, whichever is higher."

LSU hiring Brian Kelly has implications for Nick Saban's Alabama contract (thecomeback.com)
If Saban goes to OU, he’ll require the same provision in his OU contract.

I think I might root for Saban to OU. It might turn out to be financial ruin for the Zeros.

BTW, I’m getting a sense OU is and is going to be in a very tough financial position for quite a while regardless of their coaching hire. At the end of the day, I think that’s why Riley left. OU couldn’t make the heavyweight financial commitment necessary to put OU at the top of the SEC food chain.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That is what Dean echoed on the SA yesterday. His insiders were wondering how that rumor ever began. Speaking of Dean.. he’s married to two of my other friends’ mother.
He likes being called dean the stream.

We’ll see but Saban has played other teams this way as well. He was talking to an LSU group during their search and the reasoning was the same things being said above.
I'm not worried about it and have no expectations on that front. It would be fun to see just for the fact of how it would rock the sport like the riley move did. I've kinda felt like nuking things this season would be fun, could be the final thing that brings out playoff expansion

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Why would you want a 70 year old coach anyway. He's to old to rebuild that mess and get a championship.
There's tons of reasons why a program would want him, but you only need one.

If Saban goes to OU, he’ll require the same provision in his OU contract.

I think I might root for Saban to OU. It might turn out to be financial ruin for the Zeros.

BTW, I’m getting a sense OU is and is going to be in a very tough financial position for quite a while regardless of their coaching hire. At the end of the day, I think that’s why Riley left. OU couldn’t make the heavyweight financial commitment necessary to put OU at the top of the SEC food chain.

Athletics budget is separate though, as far as athletics goes, OU is one of the highest revenue generators in the country. And there's no reason why coaching compensation cant be supplemented by donor money if money really was a thing. I suspect a hire of that magnitude would be appealing to the big money donors.

Dec 9, 2013
Well, put yourself in his shoes for a moment. What more could he possibly accomplish there? All he could really do is get on the nerves of fans fans and boosters who expect national championships every year.

If he left right now, there would be some hard feelings for a little while but they would get over it pretty quick with all those trophies. And he would find that all elusive “new challenge “that coaches say they are looking for when they quit for another job. He could be the first guy to win a championship at three different schools. Unless someone else has already done it that I don’t know of.
I’m not saying Saban or Dabo would not take the uo job. But it’s being widely reported that Lincoln asked for a lot of money to fund everything from recruiting (private plane access), assistant salaries, adding analysts on both sides of the ball and facilities. Not to mention he probably asked for a match in salary which is another $5MM. You are talking about a $20MM increase in budget when all is said and done. If Lincoln left in part because he didn’t feel like the admin was ready to compete financially, why would Saban or Dabo step into that when they have everything they need and can get at the snap of a finger?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I’m not saying Saban or Dabo would not take the uo job. But it’s being widely reported that Lincoln asked for a lot of money to fund everything from recruiting (private plane access), assistant salaries, adding analysts on both sides of the ball and facilities. Not to mention he probably asked for a match in salary which is another $5MM. You are talking about a $20MM increase in budget when all is said and done. If Lincoln left in part because he didn’t feel like the admin was ready to compete financially, why would Saban or Dabo step into that when they have everything they need and can get at the snap of a finger?
I heard those reports too, and I also heard OU was giving in and matched the package lsu made. But that usc came in with something much bigger.

If finances were an issue for them, then no, neither would want to be the hc. I just dont think financials are the issue. Especially when the sec money starts rolling in.