OU coach gone: official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Gundy just renegotiated his contract about a month ago. He's comfortable getting what he gets.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Gundy definitely sounded like he was way more concerned with legacy and the work left to do than I've ever heard him. I could be wrong, but I don't think salary is an issue for him. I think he sees a path to Bobby Bowden or Joe Pa (without the molestation scandal) status. Not the greatest of all time, but put their schools on the map where both have the resources and reputation to compete with just about anyone.

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
And honestly it makes no sense for him to leave right now or have announce it. They do kind of still have a shot to make the playoff. It just seems odd to me.
Who says he even wants to make the playoff? Lately coaches are throwing games so they don't have to deal with the hassle of possibly winning a national championship. Its a thing now...

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That can't be real, can it?
If it is, am I the only one who dislikes that the constant media pressure to reveal these things did keep him from being able to sit down with his players? Guy's been there for a while and honestly brought that school back to consistent play and relevance. I don't like that he left before the bowl game, but I also don't like that his players basically don't get to hear it from him when he's otherwise been phenomenal for that school. He has their best winning percentage since Lou Holtz and has them peaking after a decade, unlike Lou. I despise Notre Dame, but he left that place way better than he found it and clearly sees the writing on the wall that B1G and SEC have inside tracks to the playoff.

Aug 16, 2012
That can't be real, can it?
I read somewhere, maybe here, that Kelly was literally walking out the front door of a potential recruit's home when he was notified his departure had been aired on social media. If that is correct, then yeah, it makes sense that he needed to directly text the players ASAP before being able to speak with them in person.

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
As sooner fans told me about leaving for the SEC and OSU wasnt going....its all about the eyeballs. Should I text them about Riley leaving with its all about the eyeballs? Right?

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Don't think there's any real chance of it happening, but what if OU promoted OC Cale Gundy to HC? If OU came back for another year we could have a Gundy vs Gundy Bedlam! Also, if the new HC cleans house, I wonder if there is space for Cale Gundy on OSU's staff if he became available - and would he come if there was.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Don't think there's any real chance of it happening, but what if OU promoted OC Cale Gundy to HC? If OU came back for another year we could have a Gundy vs Gundy Bedlam! Also, if the new HC cleans house, I wonder if there is space for Cale Gundy on OSU's staff if he became available - and would he come if there was.
Cale will never come to OSU, he played at OU, and has never pursued a HC job when he has had a chance so no, not a chance on either.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
https://twitter.com/AllmericanMayes/status/1464668812456955904

Sounds like complete horse manure to me. They have been clearing house of higher level talent for a long time now. My guess is they over-spent on talent when they started up and have been losing money because of it. So they took a BS opportunity to fire him for "cause" just to not have to pay his buyout. If I'm right, I REALLY hope he is lawyering up.
He’ll be on the SicEm365 show today at 5. You can listen live on YouTube, Twitter and Spotify or download the app. I really enjoy this show. It starts at 3.