Other Than Poke Bowl Game Thread.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I was referring to marching yard lines and never changing the routine. They are fun to watch and very precise, but not difficult. I mentioned this once at Lewis Field and an Aggie took great umbrage.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Cults always look enticing...... Until you become a part of one.
Seriously though, no one is criticizing their education.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
The whole college experience is a part of education. I would argue that the entire college experience is actually as much as if not more important to one's education as are the classes and labs. The respect shown to elders at Texas A&M and the friendliness of students, Alumni and others at places like Oklahoma State are what set each apart even more than our degree programs. Our "saltiness" is what give each flavor...if "salt" loses its saltiness it's no longer good for anything.

I'm sure you actually agree with that statemen, so please don't take this as a critic of your post, just rather a fleshing out of something I feel is important and not really considered in discussions on a football board. In fact, I think it's one of the bigger, if not biggest, issues with the American experience right now. We, are, sometimes, throwing out the baby with the bathwater in terms of respect and courtesy regarding who we treat each other in our society. How we treat each other is actually more important, in my view, than being right.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
A&M band does basically the same show every game, every year. If they do something even slightly different there are audible gasps from the stands. I've been invited by friends to go to Aggie home games from time to time, and what they do is old hat just from the few times I have gone. Most of it is on the front row to turn at the right spot, and the rest follow the leader. The "salute to armed forces" show the OSU CMB has done in the past is 10 times harder than the Aggie band halftime show.

It's the classic for A&M and football/band: "no other school has had so much, done so little with it, and been so damn proud of it."

All that said I generally like the Aggie fans.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
On the band, I LOVE their band, it's unique in its style and the way they march...Call it easy and lacking in imagination, but IF it's so easy why doesn't anyone else even attempt it? Btw, I love the Cowboy Marching Band as well, but we are more like Tech than A&M in terms of our band...granted greatly improved over when I was in school, and I LOVED the moving formations we were doing a few years back...I'm sure as the pandemic wanes (hopefully) they can get back to where they were a few years back doing things like the bullet gallop and other moving formations. Now if you want to critize something, why not their yell leaders? That's pretty weird...but even that is an interesting tradition IMHO.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
On the band, I LOVE their band, it's unique in its style and the way they march...Call it easy and lacking in imagination, but IF it's so easy why doesn't anyone else even attempt it? Btw, I love the Cowboy Marching Band as well, but we are more like Tech than A&M in terms of our band...granted greatly improved over when I was in school, and I LOVED the moving formations we were doing a few years back...I'm sure as the pandemic wanes (hopefully) they can get back to where they were a few years back doing things like the bullet gallop and other moving formations. Now if you want to critize something, why not their yell leaders? That's pretty weird...but even that is an interesting tradition IMHO.
It’s only unique because they’re one of the few who still do it, military style marching used to be the standard but bands moved on to newer things (show band) which allowed for a broader selection of music and movement

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
It’s only unique because they’re one of the few who still do it, military style marching used to be the standard but bands moved on to newer things (show band) which allowed for a broader selection of music and movement
I was in band in high school and we went down to Texas for a marching band competition. It was like 20 years ago. Military style marching was still big then. We were the only band not doing it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm a bit old fashion and still love the military style and am not a big fan of "show band" style. Maybe it provides for a wider verity of music most University bands do that same style...thus it's boring and needs change. Just my opinion. I would go to an event just to see the Aggie Band...I wouldn't do that for any other University band accept maybe Michigan, Ohio State, or someone with a huge band like that. Maybe it's just me...but I prefer to see marching instead of just standing and playing....thus the term "marching" band...No?

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
The Texas A&M website fall 2021 Student Metrics page shows that 91.9% of enrolled A&M students are from Texas. Only 42 students from Oklahoma.

Accountability - Geographic Distribution of Applied, Admitted, & Enrolled (tamu.edu)
Also there is the top 10% rule in Texas. Meaning that if you are in the top 10% of your graduating class you are automatically admitted to any Texas university. They have a 'Blinn' team in Aggieland for kids who want to go aggie but can't due to this rule if they are not part of that 10% and are denied admission because of it. They go to Blinn community colllege and then will transfer to Aggie for their Sophomore year after all the kids who are top 10% but aren't in academically competitive high schools fail out.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
A&M band does basically the same show every game, every year. If they do something even slightly different there are audible gasps from the stands. I've been invited by friends to go to Aggie home games from time to time, and what they do is old hat just from the few times I have gone. Most of it is on the front row to turn at the right spot, and the rest follow the leader. The "salute to armed forces" show the OSU CMB has done in the past is 10 times harder than the Aggie band halftime show.

It's the classic for A&M and football/band: "no other school has had so much, done so little with it, and been so damn proud of it."

All that said I generally like the Aggie fans.
Yes. 8 to 5 matching is easy once you get it down. You literally just work it to muscle memory. Marching shows that make you go different step lengths to get places to make designs are infinitely harder because what is more important is the shape be maintained, not hitting the lines at certain points.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Everyone used to march like that. Most do what's considered drum corps style now. They make shapes and designs and it's about flare and content. Marching like military on parade is OLD.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I was in band in high school and we went down to Texas for a marching band competition. It was like 20 years ago. Military style marching was still big then. We were the only band not doing it.
I graduated in the 80"s and dci drill style, and Winterguard style guard units were common in the upper classes here in Oklahoma. In All State Marching Band at OU, Gene and Roland did some cool drills.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Yes. 8 to 5 matching is easy once you get it down. You literally just work it to muscle memory. Marching shows that make you go different step lengths to get places to make designs are infinitely harder because what is more important is the shape be maintained, not hitting the lines at certain points.

What the Aggie band marches is a 6 to 5, or 6 steps to 5 yards, commonly called a military "walking" gait. 8 to 5 (8 steps per 5 yards) is a shorter step and usually has a high knee lift and step out, making an inverted figure four, so it is sometimes called a figure four gait. 6 to 5 has no knee lift, just walk. But your point is correct, the 6 to 5 gait they use is the closest to normal walking, and it's the easiest marching gait to learn and do.

The Best Texas Aggie Band Halftime Ever - New Mexico Game at Kyle Field - 11/11/17 - Bing video

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

What the Aggie band marches is a 6 to 5, or 6 steps to 5 yards, commonly called a military "walking" gait. 8 to 5 (8 steps per 5 yards) is a shorter step and usually has a high knee lift and step out, making an inverted figure four, so it is sometimes called a figure four gait. 6 to 5 has no knee lift, just walk. But your point is correct, the 6 to 5 gait they use is the closest to normal walking, and it's the easiest marching gait to learn and do.

The Best Texas Aggie Band Halftime Ever - New Mexico Game at Kyle Field - 11/11/17 - Bing video
Yeah true, I forgot they didn't even march 8 to 5. I haven't paid much attention to them in a LONG time.