Other Than Poke Bowl Game Thread.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Propaganda: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view. When repeated enough the information becomes truth.

I live in Texas A&M country so hear a lot of SEC sports talk and quotes on local sports shows. One thing I've noticed across the board: SEC coaches and officials always sell their conference in virtually every interview; there is always a brief starting comment selling the SEC: that it's the best, or such a strong conference, that all the teams are tough, or their play is "a notch above", etc. This is especially true in football and generally true across all sports. I don't think it is totally spontaneous (I hear common phrases repeated by coaches on different teams, so it may be contrived to a certain extent) but it's effective to people, recruits and others who listen over time.

It seems like I don't hear this as much from Big 12 coaches. I wish Big 12 coaches would take more opportunities to sell the conference as a whole and not just their team whenever they are interviewed.
I see some of that up here in the DFW area, but nothing like down there. The summer (2012) they made the move, I was part of the investment team for the new Cottages of College Station student housing complex. While in the activity center, I noticed not a TAMU theme, but an SEC theme complete with extensive logos and photos of all the other schools. But should also note that after the KU basketball game this week, ESPN interviewed a KU kid who played up the strength of the conference as a whole, even stating something like, "Any of the 10 teams could beat any of the others at any given time." Sure it was probably a comment meant to justify why they did not beat us by 50, but still thought it was a respectable touch.
I hear it about Big12 basketball a bunch lately.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
I lived in aTm country for 25 years. While I do think there’s some sort of “honor” schools feel to be associated with the SEC, in aTms case I think it’s something a little different. In the back of their minds and in their heart of hearts, they find it absolutely necessary to promote the SEC and the quality of its football in order to justify their move to the conference, and to provide an excuse for spending +$billion on facilities and coaches. That’s +$billion (mostly donations) for few if any incremental wins vs their time in the B12, and to be able to chant SEC, SEC, SEC. The most delusional fan base on the planet.

An interesting tidbit about aTm. A very good friend of mine was doing research on the school before his daughter chose her college destination. He told me over 97% (I believe) of the student population was from Texas. I guess whatever they’re selling in College Station has no attraction to the world outside of Texas. It is the closest thing to a cult in the world of higher education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's because it's a cult and they have weird traditions. Nobody likes the Aggies except the Aggies.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
He told me over 97% (I believe) of the student population was from Texas. I guess whatever they’re selling in College Station has no attraction to the world outside of Texas. .

I'll take a look, but I'd think that International students alone would account for more than 3%.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
He told me over 97% (I believe) of the student population was from Texas. I guess whatever they’re selling in College Station has no attraction to the world outside of Texas. .

I'll take a look, but I'd think that International students alone would account for more than 3%.
This was about 8-10 years ago, but I don’t know why it would change. My buddy’s concern was that his daughter wouldn’t get a real taste of other populations and cultures.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This was about 8-10 years ago, but I don’t know why it would change. My buddy’s concern was that his daughter wouldn’t get a real taste of other populations and cultures.

She might get a man with unusual proclivities as well
Might?

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The Texas A&M website fall 2021 Student Metrics page shows that 91.9% of enrolled A&M students are from Texas. Only 42 students from Oklahoma.

Accountability - Geographic Distribution of Applied, Admitted, & Enrolled (tamu.edu)
you forget how big Tx is as a State.
as for a different perspective I can assure you all Texans are not alike.
Your friends daughter would see quite a difference in students from East to West Tx, and Dallas-Houston is a big difference. Then add kids from mega 6A to kids from a graduation class of 50 ….. no need to leave Tx to get diverse

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The Texas A&M website fall 2021 Student Metrics page shows that 91.9% of enrolled A&M students are from Texas. Only 42 students from Oklahoma.

Accountability - Geographic Distribution of Applied, Admitted, & Enrolled (tamu.edu)
you forget how big Tx is as a State.
as for a different perspective I can assure you all Texans are not alike.
Your friends daughter would see quite a difference in students from East to West Tx, and Dallas-Houston is a big difference. Then add kids from mega 6A to kids from a graduation class of 50 ….. no need to leave Tx to get diverse
No, I’m not forgetting how big Texas is. But let’s not kid ourselves, the vast, vast majority of aTm students are not only from Texas, but either legacy students, or students from the same area and/or with similar backgrounds as the legacy students. Thus, the Cult of the Collie lives on.

Dec 7, 2006

Texas and Texas A&M are required by state law to have 90 percent of their first year classes be Texas residents. I think there's ways they can game the numbers a bit but they're both pretty locked in to high numbers of Texas residents.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Texas and Texas A&M are required by state law to have 90 percent of their first year classes be Texas residents. I think there's ways they can game the numbers a bit but they're both pretty locked in to high numbers of Texas residents.
The percentage I quoted is the total enrollment, not just entries - so it doesn't change much through grad school. And I'm not surprised; Texas is a such a big state with a large population. Just based on what I know I bet at least 70% of A&M's student population is from the greater central Texas/Bryan/College Station area and Houston metro area and suburbs (Katy, Spring/Cypress, Woodlands, Pearland, etc). I lived in Houston for about 25 years, and the area where I lived was absolutely thick with Aggies.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
While I also think Texas a&m is weird, I don’t understand the hate…like it or not, Oklahoma a&m and Texas a&m have a lot of military history in common over the years. I think most of their “traditions” are silly as well, but there is a need for the type of education they offer and produce just like we do. Traditional aggrcultural and mechanical schools are still worthwhile. It would be interesting for you guys to do a unbiased study of what students from both schools have produced on the military front snd the engineering field. Once again, I can bash a&m as much as the next guy, but I also see the need for the contrasting educational environment they offer as opposed to places like Harvard and Berkley. Educational Brainwashing occurs in all spectrums, I just prefer to continue to live in a country that has all those options for its brainwashing.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The percentage I quoted is the total enrollment, not just entries - so it doesn't change much through grad school. And I'm not surprised; Texas is a such a big state with a large population. Just based on what I know I bet at least 70% of A&M's student population is from the greater central Texas/Bryan/College Station area and Houston metro area and suburbs (Katy, Spring/Cypress, Woodlands, Pearland, etc). I lived in Houston for about 25 years, and the area where I lived was absolutely thick with Aggies.
Ah , ya. Basic Math would tell you higher population areas would be represented in higher numbers. Excellent analysis

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
While I also think Texas a&m is weird, I don’t understand the hate…like it or not, Oklahoma a&m and Texas a&m have a lot of military history in common over the years. I think most of their “traditions” are silly as well, but there is a need for the type of education they offer and produce just like we do. Traditional aggrcultural and mechanical schools are still worthwhile. It would be interesting for you guys to do a unbiased study of what students from both schools have produced on the military front snd the engineering field. Once again, I can bash a&m as much as the next guy, but I also see the need for the contrasting educational environment they offer as opposed to places like Harvard and Berkley. Educational Brainwashing occurs in all spectrums, I just prefer to continue to live in a country that has all those options for its brainwashing.
I bought in to the aTm "cult"/hate as a student back in the early 90's. I was just going by what friends were telling me about visits to Bryan/College Station.

BUT, in the last 2 years, I've had to do some pretty close work and networking with an aTm campus extension group in biopharmaceuticals and have had to make numerous trips down to College Station... along with a number of on-campus recruitment trips to aTm... and it's completely changed my stereotype of them. Everyone I've come in contact with on campus has been great. AND (gawd don't throw stones) but I really like College Station. Like, I've actually considered living there (for a job) in the past year even.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I bought in to the aTm "cult"/hate as a student back in the early 90's. I was just going by what friends were telling me about visits to Bryan/College Station.

BUT, in the last 2 years, I've had to do some pretty close work and networking with an aTm campus extension group in biopharmaceuticals and have had to make numerous trips down to College Station... along with a number of on-campus recruitment trips to aTm... and it's completely changed my stereotype of them. Everyone I've come in contact with on campus has been great. AND (gawd don't throw stones) but I really like College Station. Like, I've actually considered living there (for a job) in the past year even.
Cults always look enticing...... Until you become a part of one.
Seriously though, no one is criticizing their education.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I root against A&M for their enormous sense of entitlement! They think and act like is if they are a blueblood despite accomplishing NOTHING. Believe it or not, they still looked down on us even as we had a 4 game win streak to end conference play. It’s weird it’s not on the individual level, most aTm fans that I know are good people, humble fans. But as a collective they think they are among the elite.

Now, it’s painfully obvious that they are trying to buy their way into prestige.