OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
Was Wittlake an ACL also? We was an AA the yr before I believe then struggled post injury then disappeared. He should be a top 5 guy I believe with his strength and experience. Him healthy then Plott then Haas should ignite some points and wins hopefully. Who’s filling in at 149? Hone?

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
This is such a misogynistic and backward take. Just because a man is a celebrity or attractive does not mean he can "have about any woman." This type of thinking is what lets perpetrators get away with crimes because, after all, "any woman would want it, right?". Violent sexual crimes are rarely about the sex. They are about abuse and domination and violence against the vulnerable in the most intimate way.
I'll brag on my niece a bit. She, and her twin sister, ran into AJ somewhere in Stillwater. He asked if he could take a pic with them. They did, but then he tweeted it out and changed it to sound as if they were all gushy, asking to take a pic with him.

He then reached out to my niece, but she didn't really have any interest. We've all been young an know how that just makes the person who rejected you even more attractive, especially for someone not used to being rejected, so he pursued a bit more. This story doesn't end with some horrible date rape type thing, but the point is, some girls have sense enough to avoid a train wreck.

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
I'd love a thread to follow that saga, or not to follow it in my case, and this one to stay about wrestling. Not that I am looking forward to that sport at this point. Been hearing wait until next year for 5 years.
I get that. It's been a tough adjustment to go from "which trophy will we challenge for" to "how are going to crack the top 10". The poor finish last year is reflective of the series of blunders over the last several years (too many season-ending injuries for our starters, the Joe Smith saga, the Ferrari fiasco, the refusal to use the transfer portal and play the RTC game, keeping Coach Guerrero around too long), so I hope that the cards are all out and we'll get back to it.

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
He’s not out. It’s nonsense. The “rumor” started by one person is Pat Popilizzo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Several good candidates from the OSU lineage. Pat Pop, Coleman, Pat Smith, Pendleton. However...
Do any of those guys want to come in and try to restore the glory?
Is Perry head coach material? I haven't seen it yet - but maybe he's being held back by John
Does it need to be someone from OSU or could we look outside at who's having success and try to nab somebody? Might hurt a few egos but I see no shame in going after folks from other programs.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
We have a healthy, successful and extensive coaching tree. I doubt we’d hire from outside of it, for many reasons. John Smith deserves to go out on his own terms, for sure. I do think some new feisty young blood would be a shot in the arm however.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We have a healthy, successful and extensive coaching tree. I doubt we’d hire from outside of it, for many reasons. John Smith deserves to go out on his own terms, for sure. I do think some new feisty young blood would be a shot in the arm however.

If John does retire then I hope we at least see if we can throw enough money at Cael to lure him here.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com

If John does retire then I hope we at least see if we can throw enough money at Cael to lure him here.
I mean, worth a shot I guess, but Cael ain’t leaving Penn State for OSU. Almost everything about that job is better than OSU. Money, recruiting area, attendance, recent success. If he’s looking for a challenge he’d go back to ISU.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I mean, worth a shot I guess, but Cael ain’t leaving Penn State for OSU. Almost everything about that job is better than OSU. Money, recruiting area, attendance, recent success. If he’s looking for a challenge he’d go back to ISU.

There were some rumors on some of the PSU boards that there was some friction between Cael and the administration there, but I also doubt he comes here. I would think you have to try though just like they did with Gable.

Dec 21, 2008
Why not offer Jordan Burroughs $300,000 or DC a nice contract? JB is a world name similar to John. Young, energetic, would be a HUGE start to his post wrestling career before Nebraska can throw a contract at him. DC brings a toughness and new energy we’ve been missing a long time. We got cute with singlets and a new mat. That stuff is dumb. Go get the tough ass recruits that don’t care what the wear or on what design. 90+ yrs if tradition with orange singlets and we want to get cute when Fix gets there and we sign with Ed Hardy. Get back to the roots of success and get a big name coach!

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Why not offer Jordan Burroughs $300,000 or DC a nice contract? JB is a world name similar to John. Young, energetic, would be a HUGE start to his post wrestling career before Nebraska can throw a contract at him. DC brings a toughness and new energy we’ve been missing a long time. We got cute with singlets and a new mat. That stuff is dumb. Go get the tough ass recruits that don’t care what the wear or on what design. 90+ yrs if tradition with orange singlets and we want to get cute when Fix gets there and we sign with Ed Hardy. Get back to the roots of success and get a big name coach!
Not sure we could pay DC enough to come back. Think he does very well commentating for the UFC. I'd prefer we go after either a coach with experience or an OSU alumni to take over for John.

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
This is kind of my thought as well. If you keep it in the OSU coaching tree you're limiting your candidate pool to like... 6 guys. Pat Smith, Pendleton, Coleman, Cormier, Pat Pop, Branch, mayyyybe Hardell. Maybe Dieringer. Granted you only need one HC, but to revive a historic program I would hope that we consider Burroughs or Sanderson or Zain or some other superstar that's had post-grad success and is hungry for this particular challenge.

Keeping the head coaching job in the OSU family feels "cute" in the same way that new singlets feel "cute". It's okay if that person is the best person for the job and there's success. But if you're talking about like... Cael Sanderson or JB (not in the family, both massively successful) vs Dean Heil (in the family, less successful) as HC? I sure hope that'd be a clear decision. Let's not let the past dictate too much of the future.

Speaking of the family... what about Mark Perry (Stillwater, Iowa, ASU) coming to be HC at OSU. That would be some hilarious intrigue.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2014
This is kind of my thought as well. If you keep it in the OSU coaching tree you're limiting your candidate pool to like... 6 guys. Pat Smith, Pendleton, Coleman, Cormier, Pat Pop, Branch, mayyyybe Hardell. Maybe Dieringer. Granted you only need one HC, but to revive a historic program I would hope that we consider Burroughs or Sanderson or Zain or some other superstar that's had post-grad success and is hungry for this particular challenge.

Keeping the head coaching job in the OSU family feels "cute" in the same way that new singlets feel "cute". It's okay if that person is the best person for the job and there's success. But if you're talking about like... Cael Sanderson or JB (not in the family, both massively successful) vs Dean Heil (in the family, less successful) as HC? I sure hope that'd be a clear decision. Let's not let the past dictate too much of the future.

Speaking of the family... what about Mark Perry (Stillwater, Iowa, ASU) coming to be HC at OSU. That would be some hilarious intrigue.
Mark Perry is a phenomenal coach

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com

No one is saying we shouldn’t at least make the call to those guys, but you are talking about guys that are in better jobs. Why would Cael leave PSU for anything but a challenge (which he’s have way more ties to ISU to do)? Why would Cormier leave his gyms, commentating etc, for less money and more work? JB is a huge name, but 1) he’s not finished wrestling quite yet and 2) can he even coach?

Several of those OSU guys are running excellent programs and are excellent young coaches. It’s nonsense to think they aren’t top 10 coaches just because they wrestled here.

I’d take several of those guys over anyone that is actually coaching today other than Cael and maybe Brands.

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Several of those OSU guys are running excellent programs and are excellent young coaches.

I’d take several of those guys over anyone that is actually coaching today other than Cael and maybe Brands.

I think that's exactly the point - OSU should consider non-OSU coaches for the next HC in addition to the current former OSU wrestlers that are coaching. And it shouldn't be Chris Perry or Zack Esposito by default just because they're already on the staff - if one of them is the best person for the job, then yes. But it shouldn't be an OSU guy if it's just convenient or they've been "groomed" for the job. Results and qualifications have to weigh more than family lineage. All IMO of course.

Dec 21, 2008
I like Branch. I like Coleman. I don’t know Pop. I just don’t feel these 3 take OSU to that top 3 national spot. We need to swing big. $300k isn’t that much money to get us back to prominence. Anyone in the wrestling world besides Cael and Brands would love to take over OSU wrestling. It has slowly wilted. Needs a big overhaul of excitement. Daton winning 3 silvers has crushed our national momentum chances we had. Left bad tastes each tournament. DC is from Louisiana I would bet $ he would jump all over that head coaching job! That’s a Yankees job. He can always go back to the UFC or his gym or his HS to coach. Taking the reigns from John and giving us an international boost is what we need.