OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I think Surber could bring us some points from that weight class. We really are in bad need of our next great heavyweight though. It’s been a while.
Do you believe we’re also in need of our next coach? I enjoy following the program in terms of mat success, but likely not enough as many of you do. It appears to me we’re underperforming and to a certain extent just treading water, and as a part of that I believe our brand is definitely not what it used to be. So, I think it’s time to move on and begin a new chapter, but that’s just me.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Do you believe we’re also in need of our next coach? I enjoy following the program in terms of mat success, but likely not enough as many of you do. It appears to me we’re underperforming and to a certain extent just treading water, and as a part of that I believe our brand is definitely not what it used to be. So, I think it’s time to move on and begin a new chapter, but that’s just me.
No, not yet at least.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
I think Surber could bring us some points from that weight class. We really are in bad need of our next great heavyweight though. It’s been a while.
I am one of the biggest John Smith fans there is. This alone, with what we publicly know NOW (not what we might know in a week), is not enough to fire an all timer. And I doubt he wants to go out on this bad note. HOWEVER, if these recent changes the team has made doesn’t start picking up our chances to be competitive for a title, the honorable thing to do is for him to resign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Would love to some day see DC come back and coach. Maybe pull back Coleman Scott from UNC?

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
I've been an avid fan since the 90s. I absolutely believe it's time for a new chapter. However, I don't think that means firing John Smith. He's admitted that he's been resistant to some new developments in the sport, but those things have been changing. He should get at least a few years to right the ship and try his hand playing the new games in college wrestling.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
How good is this Hayden Simpson kid from Guthrie that won the 220lb 5A State Title? It says he’s had some good success in Junior Greco-Roman. It also says he’s signed with the Pokes and is an early graduate that could be on the team this coming season. Is he good enough to beat out Doucet and start if Surber goes down to 197 or is he a definite redshirt? Been a long time since we had a good heavyweight!

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
How good is this Hayden Simpson kid from Guthrie that won the 220lb 5A State Title? It says he’s had some good success in Junior Greco-Roman. It also says he’s signed with the Pokes and is an early graduate that could be on the team this coming season. Is he good enough to beat out Doucet and start if Surber goes down to 197 or is he a definite redshirt? Been a long time since we had a good heavyweight!
Not good enough to beat Doucet, but he will be needed because if Surber does go down to 197 then Doucet is the only heavyweight unless we grab a transfer.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Probably not. He has potential but has not been highly ranked or recruited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Doucet is pretty good. A pinner. Very strong. Would be very happy to see him in the lineup.

Heavyweights, by and large, take a long time to develop. There are obviously exceptions... but Derek White was an NCAA finalist and we didn't really see him until his RS junior year. We need to be more patient with these guys... which is why I'm excited about Doucet.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Doucet is pretty good. A pinner. Very strong. Would be very happy to see him in the lineup.

Heavyweights, by and large, take a long time to develop. There are obviously exceptions... but Derek White was an NCAA finalist and we didn't really see him until his RS junior year. We need to be more patient with these guys... which is why I'm excited about Doucet.
Good info, thanks!
I would love it if Surber could somehow squeak his way into the top 10 by the end of the year at 197. If he could make it to the NCAA’s at that weight and score some points it would soften the blow of losing Ferrari.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Good info, thanks!
I would love it if Surber could somehow squeak his way into the top 10 by the end of the year at 197. If he could make it to the NCAA’s at that weight and score some points it would soften the blow of losing Ferrari.
Agree. If that's the plan.

I'm a big Luke Surber fan. Great kid. I'm also a big Konner Doucet fan. Also a great kid. I'm also a big Kyle Haas fan!

Log jams are hard. I think we will see more guys wrestle even better. Losing Ferrari is a blow to the points... but ultimately it's good for the team as a whole. He was not the most popular.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I believe that Surber is all American material at either weight; however, it might be another year before he is ready at heavy. I think he could all American this year at 197.
I think Surber could be really good for us at 197 if he is able to cut down to it now. He has added a lot of muscle bulking for heavyweight so that may be easier said than done.

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Agree. If that's the plan.

I'm a big Luke Surber fan. Great kid. I'm also a big Konner Doucet fan. Also a great kid. I'm also a big Kyle Haas fan!

Log jams are hard. I think we will see more guys wrestle even better.
Surber goes hard. I love his competitive spirit no matter the score. I think he could do really well at 197 as long as the weight cut doesn't kill his energy after spending a year and a half working to put ON weight. Plus imagine how much smaller his opponents would feel to him after going toe to toe with some really large dudes! Don't know much about Konnor or Kyle but both have been talked up for a few years now. I do know that Kyle Haas looks like a grown@$$ man, not a college kid lol

Dec 7, 2006
My understanding from the twitterverse is they were able to collect his DNA from on the woman as evidence. Assuming that's true he's about to go to prison.
I have no insider info but there's a lot more to proving sex crimes than DNA. Ferrari's defense will be she consented (or that he had a reasonable mistake of fact as to consent), not that it didn't happen. The jury will obviously decide but these are hard cases to prove because it's usually he said/she said, and that's not going to get you anywhere close to beyond a reasonable doubt.