OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2014

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Kaden Gfeller is listed on the roster for next year. This is a new development.

https://okstate.com/sports/wrestling/roster/2022-23?&sort=class

If its true, I'd guess that he took some time to reflect and decided he can balance life as a new Dad and wrestling. I feel both excited and not excited about this - if he comes back with a chip on his shoulder, he can do a lot of damage. But I'm also excited to see the young middleweight guys (Voinovich, Jordan Williams, Travis Mastro, Mechler, Teague Travis) get a chance to get out there.

Sep 6, 2014
USA Wrestling won the World Championship for the 4th time this weekend but there definitely is an asterisk next to it with Russia and Belarus banned from the competition. Still a great job with 4 golds and 4 silvers in freestyle. Our greco team continues to be a disaster

Sep 6, 2014
Kyle Dake announced after over a decade he is leaving to go join........wait for it..........the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. Would have been nice to throw a bunch of money at him to come jumpstart the Cowboy Wrestling Club

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Dec 21, 2008
Much better complete schedule. Wasn't Wittlake a 2X AA before being hurt last year? So as a 4th yr wrestler, they rank him 24? Seems kind of ignorant and solely based on an injury filled season. Same with Sheets. AA then hurt last year so let's tank him also? Need to start getting these teen rankings into the top 8 AA preseason status. I really think our guys will finish around
Mastro 8th
Fix 1st
Young 15th
Voinovich 15th
157: Gfeller 8th
165: Sheets 12th
174: Plott #4
184: Wittlake 4th
197: Surber 12th
Hvy: Unranked
Would appear to be a top 3 team IMO

Sep 6, 2014
Much better complete schedule. Wasn't Wittlake a 2X AA before being hurt last year? So as a 4th yr wrestler, they rank him 24? Seems kind of ignorant and solely based on an injury filled season. Same with Sheets. AA then hurt last year so let's tank him also? Need to start getting these teen rankings into the top 8 AA preseason status. I really think our guys will finish around
Mastro 8th
Fix 1st
Young 15th
Voinovich 15th
157: Gfeller 8th
165: Sheets 12th
174: Plott #4
184: Wittlake 4th
197: Surber 12th
Hvy: Unranked
Would appear to be a top 3 team IMO

Wittlake is coming off a poor season AND moving up TWO weight classes which is practically unheard of. Do I think he will finish 24th? No, but they have to see how he does against the big boys before they rank him top 10 just because he was good at 165. It's a gigantic jump, it will be interesting to see how he handles difference in weight and strength. After the top 3 at 184 I think it is wide open

Dec 21, 2008
Why is he going up 2 classes? He has been very silently good for us. Injuries to him and Sheets have really killed the excitement around them because they are both great young men! Excited for Gfeller to return. Could be dominant this year

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Why is he going up 2 classes? He has been very silently good for us. Injuries to him and Sheets have really killed the excitement around them because they are both great young men! Excited for Gfeller to return. Could be dominant this year
Bumping Travis up is a variable. Plott is having success at 174, so bumping him up introduces another variable. The thinking is, let Plott continue getting comfortable at 174. I hope Travis does well at 184.

Aug 5, 2022
Tulsa
TW will be a small 184...that's for sure. I hope I'm wrong but I think he will struggle at that weight class. Yes, he was hurt last year but I don't know how you could rank him higher based on how he wrestled all year long. I hope we see a different mentality out of most of the team than what we saw last year.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
TW will be a small 184...that's for sure. I hope I'm wrong but I think he will struggle at that weight class. Yes, he was hurt last year but I don't know how you could rank him higher based on how he wrestled all year long. I hope we see a different mentality out of most of the team than what we saw last year.
Me too. Lots of reasons to think the mentality will be better:
Two problem children gone
Two additional coaches with OSU ties (Chandler Rogers and Gary Wayne Harding)
Gfeller back with new drive
Bunch of solid freshmen coming in
Several guys going to their more natural weights (Surber to 197, Sheets to 165, Gfeller to 157, Wittlake to 184)
Lowest NCAA finish in recent history means its time to prove we still deserve respect
I'm coming in from out of state to a few duals - just might be the X Factor we need (lol jk... but you never know! haha)

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Several guys going to their more natural weights (Surber to 197, Sheets to 165, Gfeller to 157, Wittlake to 184)
Lowest NCAA finish in recent history means its time to prove we still deserve respect
I'm coming in from out of state to a few duals - just might be the X Factor we need (lol jk... but you never know! haha)
Who was the other problem child?

Aug 5, 2022
Tulsa
I personally hate ESPN+ but that is the one thing I can appreciate it for. Getting to watch more OSU wrestling and softball than ever before. Just out of curiosity, what Freshmen are you referring to? I know Blankenship and Williams. I'm really anxious to see how Williams' talent translates at this level. Middle Ferrari obviously a bust and wasted scholly. Are there others I've missed? I'm really hoping so but some of the others I know about us signing are like state placers, etc. Not really what you would consider helping us get back into the elite.