OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Does no one here like wrestling, lol? Not a single thing about landing a Carter Young, a top 10 class of 2021 guy that will likely starter at 141 for us this year. He is coming home from Northwestern because some coaches were fired over COVID vaccine requirements.

Barring injuries we will be top 5 again this year, might have 7-8 all americans and an extremely young team.

If we end up getting Jordan Williams back in the fold, along with #1 overall Nik Bouzakis, we could be absolutely stacked at the lower weights in two years and only be missing a couple of pieces (HWT and 184?) for a real run at a natty.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
People care…just more care on the Oklahoma state rivals board than this one. Football runs this board right now and everything takes a backseat including wrestling. That is where you’ll find fans talk about wrestling regularly

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Sure lets talk about it...the reality is that our wrestling program has not been treated by the admin as the most successful college sports program in history. They don't have the funding, or the facilities of other program and while wrestling isn't terrible in the south, its not he same as it is in the NE. And maybe most importantly, they don't have a big time RTC. So yeah, I'd love to talk about why OSU has new facilities for golf, track, baseball, football, soccer and tennis before we get a measly million bucks for a locker room.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Sure lets talk about it...the reality is that our wrestling program has not been treated by the admin as the most successful college sports program in history. They don't have the funding, or the facilities of other program and while wrestling isn't terrible in the south, its not he same as it is in the NE. And maybe most importantly, they don't have a big time RTC. So yeah, I'd love to talk about why OSU has new facilities for golf, track, baseball, football, soccer and tennis before we get a measly million bucks for a locker room.
You have good points with most of what you say but the reason we don't have a big RTC is simply because John Smith does not want one. They are basically illegal under current NCAA rules, its just the NCAA does not care enough about wrestling to do anything about them. John has tried to stay true to the rules and it has cost us. However he has done other things in regards to recruiting that look like they may be about to pay off. If we don't win a title in the next few years then it will likely be time to ask John to retire because then it will show that what he is doing is not working anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
It is a shame that we have neglected both the Indoor Track and Wrestling programs. Hopefully that will change under the new Athletic Director.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
You have good points with most of what you say but the reason we don't have a big RTC is simply because John Smith does not want one. They are basically illegal under current NCAA rules, its just the NCAA does not care enough about wrestling to do anything about them. John has tried to stay try to the rules and it has cost us. However he has done other things in regards to recruiting that look like they may be about to pay off. If we don't win a title in the next few years then it will likely be time to ask John to retire because then it will show that what he is doing is not working anymore.
John not wanting an RTC in the past is obviously true, but I doubt we would have funded one anyway. I don't know this, but he doesn't seem to be a savvy fundraiser, or even really care much about that side of it, which is unfortunate, because the Big 1G Powerhouses have a giant headstart and have proven that they can be a revenue sport. With that said, Penn State under Cael has been a buzzsaw and won 8 of 9 nattys, and Iowa has won another 4, so its not like we are fumbling around in the weeds while a bunch of other teams have been winning.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
John not wanting an RTC in the past is obviously true, but I doubt we would have funded one anyway. I don't know this, but he doesn't seem to be a savvy fundraiser, or even really care much about that side of it, which is unfortunate, because the Big 1G Powerhouses have a giant headstart and have proven that they can be a revenue sport. With that said, Penn State under Cael has been a buzzsaw and won 8 of 9 nattys, and Iowa has won another 4, so its not like we are fumbling around in the weeds while a bunch of other teams have been winning.
Exactly, John is more of an old school coach and that includes fundraising. Unfortunately these things have hurt us but I do think that the new AD will get us a nice new facility in the future. At least they are now completely updating the locker rooms and making things much nicer from a recruiting perspective.

Dec 21, 2008
Question...
I thought John would retire after getting Joe through, then came Daton.
I thought he might step away after Daton, then comes AJ and little brothers.
I see Sam coming up in a couple years so that's at least another 6 yrs.

When do you see him stepping away and is Zach the heir apparent? With Chris staying #2?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Question...
I thought John would retire after getting Joe through, then came Daton.
I thought he might step away after Daton, then comes AJ and little brothers.
I see Sam coming up in a couple years so that's at least another 6 yrs.

When do you see him stepping away and is Zach the heir apparent? With Chris staying #2?
That is the big question and I am not sure. It very well might be he does not step down till he is not physically able to coach anymore (many many years from now) or when he is basically forced out. But I am not sure our AD and president care enough about wrestling to force out a legend even if it could help things (not saying it would help things, just saying if things went downhill from where we are).

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I agree we have taken wrestling success for granted. Not to pick on Smith, but a head coaching job is more than just techniques and motivation. I don't know if Smith has been effective in the fund raising and internal politics part of the job.

I feel like it was Holder's one unfinished task. If not for the vid I think he was nearing a major step with this.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
those sports got the big time donors to donate and they were earned thanks to Holder along with the respective head coaches. Colin Carmichael worked on Neal patterson real hard for he finally decided to donate. Holliday and Cecil, young and the Greenwoods. Boone specifically wanted to donate to football. If wrestling wants a new facility, they seriously need to find a donor that’s willing to spend. It’s how all the facilities were built here I know holder has tried but to no avail unfortunately

like others have said John is old school. He’s of the mindset kids should come Stillwater because “it’s OSU”. Unfortunately kids make decisions for various reasons. Hell most of these kids coming up were 2-3 years old when OSU won their last championship so all they see and know is penn state dominating. I will say John has slowly come around especially in the recruiting. Hiring Tyler Caldwell, and letting his assistants handle the recruiting.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
those sports got the big time donors to donate and they were earned thanks to Holder along with the respective head coaches. Colin Carmichael worked on Neal patterson real hard for he finally decided to donate. Holliday and Cecil, young and the Greenwoods. Boone specifically wanted to donate to football. If wrestling wants a new facility, they seriously need to find a donor that’s willing to spend. It’s how all the facilities were built here I know holder has tried but to no avail unfortunately

like others have said John is old school. He’s of the mindset kids should come Stillwater because “it’s OSU”. Unfortunately kids make decisions for various reasons. Hell most of these kids coming up were 2-3 years old when OSU won their last championship so all they see and know is penn state dominating. I will say John has slowly come around especially in the recruiting. Hiring Tyler Caldwell, and letting his assistants handle the recruiting.
The guy that donated the big $$ isnt really even a baseball guy, they just sold him on legacy. You cant tell me there isnt big $$ out there for wrestling, with as successful as we have been.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Say what you want about Holder but he could find the Elephants and squeeze them for all they are worth.