OSU Wrestling @ NCAA Championships - Pittsburgh, PA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
What’s hurt us the most is recruiting parity. Kids are choosing Cornell and Rutgers and Michigan now. Osu needs a spark BAD! Hiring a Burroughs or a Cormier etc. yes we are recruiting “above avg” but we are not making it hurt for kids to turn us down. They turn us down easily. Besides JO and Ringer and Perry we haven’t done much the last decade! Just like football using Barry, kids do not know who John is besides he was world champs that’s about it. This is a YouTube generation not a VHS society. Wrestling has changed and what we are doing is NOT the right recipe. Personally as a teen I would rather wrestle for Coleman than John. Yes that is insane but it’s a what have you done lately generation and these teens have not seen osu win ever! How long do we think John has left? Does he wait through Daton 4 more yrs inc his RS yr? Who would be top 3 candidates people would want to see once he retires?
On Cornell, they have a lot to offer as far as education. Obviously wrestling does not have the scholarships or revenue that football and basketball have. Cornell sells its education. I remember Coach Spates and Coach Koll coming to duals and tourneys in Oklahoma and specifically Skiatook. Of course everyone and their dog was trying to get Sammy Francis, so we had tons of Coaches watch us just for him. My best friend wrestled for Cornell, as did quite a few Oklahoma kids. In 1990 they took 6 kids. It is a hard sell for a non revenue sport.

Oklahoma highschool wrestling needs to be the top in the sport again. Plus the conference is a issue as well for wrestling. OSU, ISU, and ???? Losing UO (because they suck), Missouri, and Nebraska really hurt a lot.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
My opinion is ou has given up on wrestling. Bad crowds/teams.

It is now easier to get NCAA Titles thru their men's/women's gymnastics.

The men don't draw that great, but better than wrestling. (In their old gym)

The women sold out Loyd Noble Arena for one of their meets. Forget who the competition was.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We owned the sport for decades. Iowa took it over during the Gable years. Now Penn State is building a dynasty that appears to be gaining momentum.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats to the Cowboys on a great season.

From our Saturday recap...

Oklahoma State coach John Smith said, “We had a great season, and sometimes great seasons end when you’re striving for more. We definitely want more than what we got, but man, we had a good season and a good tournament. In the end, there was a lot of effort.

“We had a few mistakes here and there that were critical.”

Oklahomans went 5-2 in the consolation semifinals and medal round, with OSU’s Preston Weigel finishing 16-1 with a third-place finish at 197, and OU’s Dom Demas a fourth-place medal at 141.

Nick Piccininni finished fifth at 125 for the Cowboys, and 184-pounder Will Geer seventh, despite entering the weekend as a 26-seed.
More Saturday notes...

This was the first time the NCAA has seeded all 33 wrestlers at each weight class.

The only wrestler seeded in the bottom half — Nos. 17-33 — to place was Oklahoma State 184-pounder Will Geer.

The sophomore transfer from Edinboro upset the Nos. 2, 3 and 7 seeds en route to all-America honors.
Here's a gallery of photos from the weekend.
5c98dd41f22af.image.jpg 5c98dd43adc16.image.jpg

And if you're up for a bit of nostalgia, I also looked up photos from our and Associated Press' archives of the national champions (team and individual) since 2001. One of my favorites: Mark Munoz from 2001:
5c92a06d3086c.image.jpg

Once again, congrats on a great season.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
What’s hurt us the most is recruiting parity. Kids are choosing Cornell and Rutgers and Michigan now. Osu needs a spark BAD! Hiring a Burroughs or a Cormier etc. yes we are recruiting “above avg” but we are not making it hurt for kids to turn us down. They turn us down easily. Besides JO and Ringer and Perry we haven’t done much the last decade! Just like football using Barry, kids do not know who John is besides he was world champs that’s about it. This is a YouTube generation not a VHS society. Wrestling has changed and what we are doing is NOT the right recipe. Personally as a teen I would rather wrestle for Coleman than John. Yes that is insane but it’s a what have you done lately generation and these teens have not seen osu win ever! How long do we think John has left? Does he wait through Daton 4 more yrs inc his RS yr? Who would be top 3 candidates people would want to see once he retires?
So coming back around on this and why I respectfully disagree...

1) OSU hasn't really lost any major recruiting battles to Cornell, Rutgers, or Michigan in the last several years that I can recall. We lose to Penn State and Ohio State, of course, because they have elite facilities and great coaching that has put some superstars out there... but we've done the same. We're only three years removed from Alex Dieringer, who is poised to make another run at the national team this summer and will probably be on the Olympic team in 2020, where he would likely medal. There's also a strong possibility that Fix, Wittlake, Brock, Chandler, White, Hughes, and a handful of others could be on the Freestyle or Greco teams for the Olympics... so we're producing top flight guys out of our room and have a great chance to "make it hurt" when a kid chooses a lower level school over us. Hell, if we have lost a guy to Missouri or Michigan or Cornell then they haven't won a trophy in the last few years while we have a trophy for 4 out of 5 years.

2) A generational recruit, AJ Ferrari, has publicly stated several times that he spends a lot of free time watching John Smith matches on YouTube and that John Smith is one of his idols... this is a 17 year old... So there's that. Coleman Scott and Tony Ramos aren't out-recruiting OSU at North Carolina. Period. And they never will.

3) Wrestling has changed.... these guys at the top are all very evenly matched and they all know each other extremely well. Styles are opposed... but frankly I don't think there's much difference between OSU's style and Penn State's style. OSU only had 5 AA's this year and still came in 3rd because we scored a ton of bonus points this season. Kaid Brock and Joe Smith squeezed some in there too.

4) I think John Smith is going to coach for at least 5 more seasons at OSU... Probably 7 to get through these 2020 & 2021 recruiting classes that are set up to be top 2. 7 seasons would put him at 60 years old and 36 years at the helm for OSU... and I firmly believe that the last two recruiting classes plus the next three will produce at least 4 more team national titles for OSU. I think John is going to realize his goal of having 10 AAs on multiple teams and win championships that way.

5) As to a successor to John Smith... I think that it needs to be a young guy that was a superstar. Alex Dieringer would be my pick if you asked me to make it today. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to go outside the family and hire a David Taylor or Bo Nickal for it... in fact, I think we should make a run at getting Bo Nickal in our room as soon as possible. It won't happen because we don't have the funds or facilities right now, which IS THE FAULT OF THE FANBASE... but I think he would be a very beneficial piece to our puzzle.

6) We have to change the perception within our own fanbase. We are so beaten down by "nobody cares about wrestling and golf" that I think a solid majority of our fans actually believe that. If we can flip that perception, fill up the arena, and get people giving to the program then I think we have the infrastructure to very firmly establish that we are one of, if not the, top program in the sport for all time. With basketball attendance, we hear "well the team isn't good. That's why people don't go to games" but then we can look at our wrestling program, who has lost 62 duals in 28 seasons, and they have trouble drawing more than 6k people per match... There's a major disconnect there. And it's not price either, as tickets are virtually free.

Overall... Things really aren't that bleak at all. I'm not happy about finishing third either... and I'm not happy with the way that Derek White and Daton Fix wrestled on Saturday night... but I have 100% confidence that we will see continued performance moving into next year, where a couple of Olympic Redshirts will likely keep us out of contention for a title, and then into the 2021 season where I 100% expect us to win a title.

You can find more info on future lineups and why I'm confident here: http://orangepower.com/threads/wrestling-recruiting-and-lineups-moving-forward.257000/

Jun 14, 2011
So coming back around on this and why I respectfully disagree...

1) OSU hasn't really lost any major recruiting battles to Cornell, Rutgers, or Michigan in the last several years that I can recall. We lose to Penn State and Ohio State, of course, because they have elite facilities and great coaching that has put some superstars out there... but we've done the same. We're only three years removed from Alex Dieringer, who is poised to make another run at the national team this summer and will probably be on the Olympic team in 2020, where he would likely medal. There's also a strong possibility that Fix, Wittlake, Brock, Chandler, White, Hughes, and a handful of others could be on the Freestyle or Greco teams for the Olympics... so we're producing top flight guys out of our room and have a great chance to "make it hurt" when a kid chooses a lower level school over us. Hell, if we have lost a guy to Missouri or Michigan or Cornell then they haven't won a trophy in the last few years while we have a trophy for 4 out of 5 years.

2) A generational recruit, AJ Ferrari, has publicly stated several times that he spends a lot of free time watching John Smith matches on YouTube and that John Smith is one of his idols... this is a 17 year old... So there's that. Coleman Scott and Tony Ramos aren't out-recruiting OSU at North Carolina. Period. And they never will.

3) Wrestling has changed.... these guys at the top are all very evenly matched and they all know each other extremely well. Styles are opposed... but frankly I don't think there's much difference between OSU's style and Penn State's style. OSU only had 5 AA's this year and still came in 3rd because we scored a ton of bonus points this season. Kaid Brock and Joe Smith squeezed some in there too.

4) I think John Smith is going to coach for at least 5 more seasons at OSU... Probably 7 to get through these 2020 & 2021 recruiting classes that are set up to be top 2. 7 seasons would put him at 60 years old and 36 years at the helm for OSU... and I firmly believe that the last two recruiting classes plus the next three will produce at least 4 more team national titles for OSU. I think John is going to realize his goal of having 10 AAs on multiple teams and win championships that way.

5) As to a successor to John Smith... I think that it needs to be a young guy that was a superstar. Alex Dieringer would be my pick if you asked me to make it today. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to go outside the family and hire a David Taylor or Bo Nickal for it... in fact, I think we should make a run at getting Bo Nickal in our room as soon as possible. It won't happen because we don't have the funds or facilities right now, which IS THE FAULT OF THE FANBASE... but I think he would be a very beneficial piece to our puzzle.

6) We have to change the perception within our own fanbase. We are so beaten down by "nobody cares about wrestling and golf" that I think a solid majority of our fans actually believe that. If we can flip that perception, fill up the arena, and get people giving to the program then I think we have the infrastructure to very firmly establish that we are one of, if not the, top program in the sport for all time. With basketball attendance, we hear "well the team isn't good. That's why people don't go to games" but then we can look at our wrestling program, who has lost 62 duals in 28 seasons, and they have trouble drawing more than 6k people per match... There's a major disconnect there. And it's not price either, as tickets are virtually free.

Overall... Things really aren't that bleak at all. I'm not happy about finishing third either... and I'm not happy with the way that Derek White and Daton Fix wrestled on Saturday night... but I have 100% confidence that we will see continued performance moving into next year, where a couple of Olympic Redshirts will likely keep us out of contention for a title, and then into the 2021 season where I 100% expect us to win a title.

You can find more info on future lineups and why I'm confident here: http://orangepower.com/threads/wrestling-recruiting-and-lineups-moving-forward.257000/

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
CTeam I agree with everything except the support issue, We had more in attendance for a wrestling event than we did for any other event except football. I would like to see more funds put into the wrestling facilities we are historically the best wrestling program in the nation we should look like it with our facilities and our promotions. The one event that was promoted was a sellout, it works and we should be exploiting the hell out of our championships. It would be awesome if there was an event put together in Tulsa or OKC like the Southern Scuffle or the Reno tourney and use it to bring in the best talent.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
CTeam I agree with everything except the support issue, We had more in attendance for a wrestling event than we did for any other event except football. I would like to see more funds put into the wrestling facilities we are historically the best wrestling program in the nation we should look like it with our facilities and our promotions. The one event that was promoted was a sellout, it works and we should be exploiting the hell out of our championships. It would be awesome if there was an event put together in Tulsa or OKC like the Southern Scuffle or the Reno tourney and use it to bring in the best talent.
I agree. When they promote it, people come... I just want to see it on a more regular cadence.

The facilities will come... just need to get one of the blue hairs that has socked away millions to make the move. I know Holder and co. are working on it and that it's priority one.

I think we should do it one bigger and host a "Southern Scuffle" of sorts in Dallas or Houston. The sport is on the rise here and there were a ton of kids on my flight back to Dallas yesterday that couldn't stop talking about how awesome the tourney was.

I also very strongly believe that we need to make the leap and start a women's wrestling team and accelerate the process to make it an NCAA sport. Coach Smith is already heavily involved in it, and OKCU has an excellent program. Move it to Stillwater, get Helen Maroulis to be the coach. Kick off that revolution and establish the brand.

Dec 21, 2008
Thank you for the insightful reply. I know you were traveling so thanks for taking the time to give a detailed discussion.

1) didn’t actually mean head to head battles I’m just saying NE guys have a lot more options to stay closer to home at very good educational institutes where 15yrs ago top guys wanted Iowa or OSU. We are the best school west of the MS River but to the east there are numerous competitors now. Great for the sport but harder to pluck guys like Espo, JO, Coleman etc.
2) AJ has me stumped. We felt like his #1 then he moved now he retweets a ton of Rutgers and having 2 champions helps them a lot. Suriano should be the fave next yr. any timeline on him? And why is he not wanting to take Bo’s spot? He not like PSU or they not like him?
3) 5 AAs is unacceptable in my opinion with the team we had. I know G is/was hurt so that’s one. Wyatt is young that’s two. Lineup shuffle screwed us in the end costing Joe a 33 seed. Idk what’s up with Kaid besides being undersized. In my opinion he looks like his IQ has decreased (could be bc if desperation or feels undersized and just tried things). He’d have big leads all yr then get put to his back in a stupid scramble. Jacobe didn’t wrestle well. Luckily Weigel was able to finish so high and Dakota surprised me and a lot of people which is encouraging.
4) Glad to hear so many years. Feels like the youth coaching movement has sparked him a little bit
5) My big question is coaching pay. How much do Chris and Zach and any others make? I’ve never seen an asst pay scale. Would be sick if we could drop $100,000 on Bo’s lap and get him in the room. For some reason I felt like John makes like $400k or something and others didn’t make much at all. I like Alex a lot! Great competitor, face guy, high character and international fame. Would be interesting to see if Branch or Pop or Coleman would be top candidates?
6) attendance has stunk for a long time. What makes duals is rivalries and having guys like Johny and Mocco where you want to see a big slam or some show boating after a pin. Most of our duals are verrrry boring. Teams like Air Force and Utah Valley and Northern CO don’t spark any interest. Similar to basketball playing NW Louisiana State and Panhandle State. When Daton pins an unranked guy from AF it’s not very exciting then the team score is like 42-3. I almost wish OSU could host a tournament like you mentioned and get some RS guys from the big schools and guys coming off injuries just to let us have something to watch all day. Trying from Tulsa or OKC for an hour dual sucks. Rivalries like PSU and Iowa are the only reasons fans will travel

Once again thanks for updates, insight, replies and glad you made it through the riots!

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
@crimsonhater

1) We still do get east coast guys though... Piccinnini and Geer are the two guys in the lineup now. Next year you'll have Shommers on that list too. In recruiting we have Mastrogiavanni and hopefully his brother coming in from Blair Academy. We are still able to go to the east coast and pick guys up... and a lot of that is because of Espo.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with most of our lineup being made of Oklahoma guys. The Oklahoma guys are really damn good, and the level of high school wrestling in the state has stepped up big time. Fix is Fix. Brock, Joe, Chandler, White, Jacobe, Gfeller, and Boo have all been incredible wrestlers for us. Seriously. And they were all top recruits. The class with Brock, Joe, and Boo was the #2 class in the country! Our 2020 class has Dustin Plott and Konner Doucet in it, both Oklahoma guys that are towards the top of the national rankings.

Also... John Smith has coached more individual national champions and All Americans in his time at OSU than Rutgers has produced in their entire athletic department history.... Point that kind of thing out to Ferrari and I think it's hard to ignore.

2) I just don't think he's necessarily interested in Penn State, probably because they won't commit to his brothers. He trains with Rutgers guys now, so that's probably why they would be the favorite... but at the end of the day he idolizes John Smith and says he always wanted to wrestle at OSU and we are probably willing to get some scholarship money freed up for his brothers. It's a priority for us for sure.

Suriano is a senior next season and Ashnault is gone. With Fix probably redshirting, I guess Suriano might win another one next season but a fully healthy Stevan Micic at Michigan is a huge obstacle as is Desanto.

3) Jacobe and G were both hurt and it for sure cost us big. Those two should have for sure been AAs. Joe got a rough draw and needs to work on finishing... would be shocked if he doesn't at least AA next year... probably more. Brock also got a rough draw and I know for a fact that he is pissed about his season and wants next year to be special since it's his last.

4) I at least want him to see a new facility get started... he's earned as much time as he wants, frankly.

5) I know they're all very adequately compensated and not all of that information is public.

6) Most of our duals are boring because we dominate them. Even Cornell, Princeton, Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa State, and those other big brand name schools. We wrestle an insanely hard schedule as it is... and I promise you that Coach Smith would love to get PSU and Ohio State on the schedule as well... they just won't do it. At least the Brands are men enough to.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
@crimsonhater

1) We still do get east coast guys though... Piccinnini and Geer are the two guys in the lineup now. Next year you'll have Shommers on that list too. In recruiting we have Mastrogiavanni and hopefully his brother coming in from Blair Academy. We are still able to go to the east coast and pick guys up... and a lot of that is because of Espo.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with most of our lineup being made of Oklahoma guys. The Oklahoma guys are really damn good, and the level of high school wrestling in the state has stepped up big time. Fix is Fix. Brock, Joe, Chandler, White, Jacobe, Gfeller, and Boo have all been incredible wrestlers for us. Seriously. And they were all top recruits. The class with Brock, Joe, and Boo was the #2 class in the country! Our 2020 class has Dustin Plott and Konner Doucet in it, both Oklahoma guys that are towards the top of the national rankings.

Also... John Smith has coached more individual national champions and All Americans in his time at OSU than Rutgers has produced in their entire athletic department history.... Point that kind of thing out to Ferrari and I think it's hard to ignore.

2) I just don't think he's necessarily interested in Penn State, probably because they won't commit to his brothers. He trains with Rutgers guys now, so that's probably why they would be the favorite... but at the end of the day he idolizes John Smith and says he always wanted to wrestle at OSU and we are probably willing to get some scholarship money freed up for his brothers. It's a priority for us for sure.

Suriano is a senior next season and Ashnault is gone. With Fix probably redshirting, I guess Suriano might win another one next season but a fully healthy Stevan Micic at Michigan is a huge obstacle as is Desanto.

3) Jacobe and G were both hurt and it for sure cost us big. Those two should have for sure been AAs. Joe got a rough draw and needs to work on finishing... would be shocked if he doesn't at least AA next year... probably more. Brock also got a rough draw and I know for a fact that he is pissed about his season and wants next year to be special since it's his last.

4) I at least want him to see a new facility get started... he's earned as much time as he wants, frankly.

5) I know they're all very adequately compensated and not all of that information is public.

6) Most of our duals are boring because we dominate them. Even Cornell, Princeton, Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa State, and those other big brand name schools. We wrestle an insanely hard schedule as it is... and I promise you that Coach Smith would love to get PSU and Ohio State on the schedule as well... they just won't do it. At least the Brands are men enough to.
CTeam, your post brings up something I have been thinking about lately. Do we have more injuries compared to other top programs and if so do you think it is due to the insanely tough schedule that we wrestle. It just seems this year more than ever we had SO many injuries and critical ones that really cost us. I don't pay as much attention to other programs so maybe that is the thing but I just don't see teams like PSU or Ohio State having these type of injury issues. If true then maybe John should look into ways to alleviate this like Gundy did.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The facilities will come... just need to get one of the blue hairs that has socked away millions to make the move. I know Holder and co. are working on it and that it's priority one.
Love him or hate him, but nobody can deny Holder has a pretty good track record of doing this.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
CTeam, your post brings up something I have been thinking about lately. Do we have more injuries compared to other top programs and if so do you think it is due to the insanely tough schedule that we wrestle. It just seems this year more than ever we had SO many injuries and critical ones that really cost us. I don't pay as much attention to other programs so maybe that is the thing but I just don't see teams like PSU or Ohio State having these type of injury issues. If true then maybe John should look into ways to alleviate this like Gundy did.
Iowa had the exact same problem this season. Ohio State has faced it in the past too. Actually I'm pretty sure that year Ohio State won the title, Penn State had injury issues too on top of their roster turnover.

And I think it is the "wrestle anybody, anywhere" mentality that we have. Frankly, I would rather continue to do that than go with a soft schedule.

Chandler's injury was a bit of a freak deal and I think it was the first time in his career that he had really been hurt.

Weigel's injury was pretty severe during the Bedlam dual. It's a miracle that he came back from it.

Boo has a bum shoulder.... it's really serious at this point and it's going to take a lot of grit for him to come back from this one... if it were my son I would probably encourage him to get his degree and move on.

Gfeller wrestling up and facing really, really good dudes all season for sure cost him at the end of the season. He just got worn down... and it's a real shame because up to the Mizzou dual I would have expected him to be in the semifinals. I thought we might get that after his great performance at Big 12's, but that's just not the way it fell... he will be there though. I fully believe that G will make a finals in his career.

Jacobe got hurt in practice before NCAAs.

Nobody will confirm it but I'm pretty sure Joe has a bad knee.

Dec 21, 2008
You are the man! Greatly appreciate all the insight and updates. Knowing all this gives the fan base a lot better perspective of the in the now and future. Hearing guys are frustrated and were injured allows others and myself to take a breath and look at the big picture. Body language and results were not good so I am glad those aren't becoming the norm as success has been at a minimum the last decade or so. After that 2006 team, I believe we have only had national champions in 13 years now? That is CRAZY! Coleman, Ringer, Chris & JO. Hopefully having some OK studs who have competed on national level and having Espo's success in the northeast will help a ton.

Has there been any talks with DC or Johny or Couture about possible donations? There may be some behind the scenes stuff but it feels like we don't have a lot of historic type stuff present at our duals. An occasional plaque presentation feels about it. Would love if wrestling could create the light show basketball did at HoCo and hoops with the display of the old courts and banners etc shining down on the floor. Need to embrace our tradition which you said is in the works.

Will Kaid take 133 next yr?
Any update on facility plan?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So since the last team title in 2006... here's our individual champs.

2019: none
2018: none
2017: Dean Heil
2016: Dean Heil, Alex Dieringer
2015: Alex Dieringer
2014: Alex Dieringer, Chris Perry
2013: Jordan Oliver, Chris Perry
2012: none
2011: Jordan Oliver
2010: none
2009: none
2008: Coleman Scott
2007: none

So yeah... we've had some blanks in there and the last two years have been rough. At least we had finalists this year though... but I can assure you nobody out there is happy with the results. I think a big part of the body language is that they're coached to not show their disappointment out there... just shake their hand and get off the mat.

DC and Hendricks really haven't earned that much in their careers to fund a new facility or anything like that. I'm sure they've been called, but the money just really isn't there. Couture might be able to put some towards it, as his career has been much longer and he was a much bigger name, but being retired... IDK. Those guys don't have "FU" money. It would need to come from one of the billionaires. Frankly I think it will end up being Boone... honestly Gundy wouldn't be a bad one to see if he would be willing to give to it as he's a huge OSU wrestling fan.

They do talk about our arena being the most historic and our program being the dynasty of dynasties at the beginning of duals...

Where Kaid wrestles depends on wether or not Fix takes the Olympic Redshirt. I think Fix does take the OR... but Brock really had trouble cutting down to 133. I think he just needs to hit the weight room hard this summer and make another run at 141, which is a pretty wide open weight class. Brock could hang with Yianni if he just gets a little more strength.

I don't know anything about the facility plan. I really, really hope that it involves tearing down and rebuilding the Hall of Fame at the old football practice fields on the east side of GIA. I think Minnesota has to be the model that we are going for. Couple the below with the National Wrestling Hall of Fame? Man oh man it would be incredible.

https://theguillotine.com/2018/11/gophers-first-practice-in-their-new-facility/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reox5KN8bzo

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
So since the last team title in 2006... here's our individual champs.

2019: none
2018: none
2017: Dean Heil
2016: Dean Heil, Alex Dieringer
2015: Alex Dieringer
2014: Alex Dieringer, Chris Perry
2013: Jordan Oliver, Chris Perry
2012: none
2011: Jordan Oliver
2010: none
2009: none
2008: Coleman Scott
2007: none

So yeah... we've had some blanks in there and the last two years have been rough. At least we had finalists this year though... but I can assure you nobody out there is happy with the results. I think a big part of the body language is that they're coached to not show their disappointment out there... just shake their hand and get off the mat.

DC and Hendricks really haven't earned that much in their careers to fund a new facility or anything like that. I'm sure they've been called, but the money just really isn't there. Couture might be able to put some towards it, as his career has been much longer and he was a much bigger name, but being retired... IDK. Those guys don't have "FU" money. It would need to come from one of the billionaires. Frankly I think it will end up being Boone... honestly Gundy wouldn't be a bad one to see if he would be willing to give to it as he's a huge OSU wrestling fan.

They do talk about our arena being the most historic and our program being the dynasty of dynasties at the beginning of duals...

Where Kaid wrestles depends on wether or not Fix takes the Olympic Redshirt. I think Fix does take the OR... but Brock really had trouble cutting down to 133. I think he just needs to hit the weight room hard this summer and make another run at 141, which is a pretty wide open weight class. Brock could hang with Yianni if he just gets a little more strength.

I don't know anything about the facility plan. I really, really hope that it involves tearing down and rebuilding the Hall of Fame at the old football practice fields on the east side of GIA. I think Minnesota has to be the model that we are going for. Couple the below with the National Wrestling Hall of Fame? Man oh man it would be incredible.

https://theguillotine.com/2018/11/gophers-first-practice-in-their-new-facility/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reox5KN8bzo
Holder has said wrestling is going to be one of the next for facility improvements, hopefully he follows through and soon. Frankly that Minnesota facility does not look like it would cost that much and we should be able to do better than that if the athletic department gets behind this.