OSU vs Texas Tech game thread Thursday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I don’t mean to be negative about HCMB. I’ve met him several times myself. He loves osu as much as any of us. I love that he is as much a fan of all our teams as we are. But at some point you’ve gotta be able to coach and I’m just not sure he is a very good coach. He needs to at the minimum have an assistant who can help him with his X’s and O’s deficiencies. Otherwise it’s gonna always be this way for him.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I don’t mean to be negative about HCMB. I’ve met him several times myself. He loves osu as much as any of us. I love that he is as much a fan of all our teams as we are. But at some point you’ve gotta be able to coach and I’m just not sure he is a very good coach. He needs to at the minimum have an assistant who can help him with his X’s and O’s deficiencies. Otherwise it’s gonna always be this way for him.
I'm willing to give him a pass for the last few years because its been an impossible situation with all the stuff hanging over the program. Next year has to be better or he's on the hot seat.

Oct 29, 2016
US
We're definitely finishing below .500. Unless Boynton strikes gold in transfers, combined with the team's utter lack of development, we'll once again finish below .500 next season. If that ends up being the case, OSU should (and will) hire a search committee, to find the next HC of OSU basketball.

Saying Boynton should get a free pass because of the obstacles, is a flawed argument. The obstacles are no excuse for the poor shooting, complete lack of movement, poor free throw percentage; could go on and on. Fact is.. Cade Cunningham masked many problems that would've otherwise existed had he played ball somewhere else. Last year would've been a losing season without Cade. Also, the recruits who play the majority of minutes this season this were recruited and committed before OSU was banned from post season play. In other words, Boynton has failed recruiting.

Looking at the current recruiting class, there's only one commit. And surprise, surprise.. he's a defender, not a scorer/shooter. Boynton offered him based on summer league play. In fact, his performance in high school ball wasn't how he achieved four star status. It was literally based on one summer. Ford also recruited someone like that.. Ray Penn. The same Ray who was booted off the team immediately after the conclusion of his freshman season. Also, his strengths is based on how good his teammates are. His recruiting profile says he is only as good as his teammates.

Boynton still has a chance to get things right. But if next year is a continuation of this year, he'll be looking for another job. I hope that isn't the case. Can't use excuses as a reason why our basketball program is a dumpster fire. Simple fact is.. Boynton needs an entirely different roster, a roster with actual talent, instead of relying on a team who have bench riding talent. Most of our players would he benchriders at most other Big 12 programs. That is evidence by how badly we've been destroyed in Big 12 play. The Texas game was a fluke.

Last edited:

VaPoke

Wrangler
Oct 14, 2013
Washington DC
Does anyone know the length of Boynton's contract?
Copied from THE OKLAHOMAN 3.21.21
"Eight days after the Cowboys’ NCAA Tournament run ended, Boynton agreed to a seven-year, $21 million contract extension that runs through the 2027-28 season, the university announced Monday afternoon.
The new deal will pay Boynton $3 million annually — a significant pay bump that no longer leaves him as the lowest-paid coach in the Big 12 — beginning July 1.
And it solidifies the future of the revived program under Boynton."

Sep 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/jacobunruh/status/1481816276477485062?s=21
Does Boynton understand that he's admitting that he is failing to get through to the players, motivate them and put them in the position of winning with this quote?

If it's not a talent issue per Boynton, then that means it's a coaching issue.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/jacobunruh/status/1481816276477485062?s=21

Does Boynton understand that he's admitting that he is failing to get through to the players, motivate them and put them in the position of winning with this quote?

If it's not a talent issue per Boynton, then that means it's a coaching issue.
I don't see it as that black and white. Does he just bench them all and not play the next couple of games to "get through to them"?
I enjoy his honesty, but don't you think it's hard to motivate them when you've had the rug pulled out from under you regarding post season? Can't believe that the Big12 pulled that crap so we don't even get to play in the conference tourney.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk