OSU vs Illinois State this weekend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
O'Brate is pretty, beautiful, amazing, spectacular etc....but it missed the boat in terms of what we actually needed to build a fan base.

The players and coaches got what they needed with the training facilities, the Admin got all the high dollar seating to maximize profit, but, in return, the average fan got squeezed out.

It has all this expensive shiny, show offish stuff but it ignores the average fan in terms of seating and accesibility to cheap, good seats like every college baseball facility should have.

We had a chance to really build a fan base with a new facility, combined with some really good teams, and we just made it a Country Club that is going to make it less accessible to the average fan.

We built a facility to maximize profit instead of build a fan base.

The problem is, the only way that place will be accessible to the average fan, like it absolutely should be, is if it is under attended which completely defeats the purpose of spending $70 million on a new facility.

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
O'Brate is pretty, beautiful, amazing, spectacular etc....but it missed the boat in terms of what we actually needed.

It has all this expensive shiny, show offish stuff but it ignores the average fan in terms of seating and accesibility to cheap, good seats like every college baseball facility should have.

We had a chance to really build a fan base with a new facility, combined with some really good teams, and we just made it a Country Club that is going to make it less accessible to the average fan.

The problem is, the only way that place will be accessible to the average fan, like it absolutely should be, is if it is under attended which completely defeats the purpos of spending $70 million on a new facility.
Kind of unfair to judge that during the pandemic. The stadium is open but by no means finished and has limited capacity. Let’s pump the breaks until we get to full capacity.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
As an old guy, I gotta say, it's fun listening to Holiday talk about his kids at work...

You danged kids get off my lawn!

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
O'Brate is pretty, beautiful, amazing, spectacular etc....but it missed the boat in terms of what we actually needed to build a fan base.

The players and coaches got what they needed with the training facilities, the Admin got all the high dollar seating to maximize profit, but, in return, the average fan got squeezed out.

The problem is, the only way that place will be accessible to the average fan, like it absolutely should be, is if it is under attended which completely defeats the purpose of spending $70 million on a new facility.
This is an unfair post. Let’s see what happens over the next few months before throwing in the towel.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I hope you're right about the potential of building an Arkansas type fan base....what I'm afraid of is that once the newness of the stadium wears off, it'll go back to being under 1,000 for the midweek and around 2,000 on weekends. The good news is that Josh has something built that should maintain momentum for quite a while--the product on the field will be good. Hopefully next year there will be no Covid restrictions and we can get 3-5K in the place regularly.
Here's what I think it boils down to. It takes a great game day atmosphere that people want to be a part of. It helps if the product on the field is good but some places draw well even with average results. It does help if the Pokes are electric and winning, and I see them building that in spades. The atmosphere has to be organic and engaged and usually starts with the students. More effort needs to be placed on making this their place, this is their peers on the field. In places that are well known for their atmosphere, it's usually a party, raucous student section and us olds get sucked into the fun. A few places it's the alum like the crazy cajuns and the hog callers but their students are still part of the catalyst. They need to court the students with specialty games, cheap tickets, cheap hotdogs, cheap beer all the time. Give them a reason, non baseball students, to become a fan of the event and hopefully the game. Then us olds will come to watch the motley fools, reminisce about our once carefree life and get caught up in the fun wanting to return time and again. I don't believe build it and they will come, I believe build an atmosphere and they will come and come from distances. If all they did was chase the dollar, they will have failed this program and the players, and they do talk about how pathetic the crowds are.
The corrals in the outfield are all frats and sororities. The beer and food flow and the area below them is pretty packed for Covid. They heckle the outfielders and get excited over great plays. I think the fuse is there and lit and as the weather gets better, it will blow up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk