osu vs asu

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 20, 2007
Woodland Park, Colorado
I took my grandson to see his first osu football game and the gameday atmosphere was awesome. It was everything I could have expected and more. The only thing that put a damper on the game was the rain in the second half. We had to leave early and finish it on the radio so that neither he nor I got sick from sitting in the rain.

As for the game itself it was awesome to get the win and I think asu is a good football team. Not a great football team but a good football team. I really miss knowles running the defense and unlike last year we don't make the necessary adjustments at halftime to lock a team down from scoring. It's a different team and I get that we have a young secondary and we will get better but there is a certain amount of coaching that plays a part. I think the offense is going to have to go win some games this year once we reach big 12 play. With that being said we have some incredible receivers and I think the backs are going to get better and better.

We have really one more game to develop the identity of this football team but I think it's going to come down to how sanders handles himself on the big stage in those big moments. I love sanders and I've been a huge fan of his since watching him play during a high school game in wichita falls texas after he had already committed to the cowboys. He took over that game and I feel like he's going to have to do that this year if we are going to have a really successful season.

I hope we have a complete game next week in all phases. The big 12 overall seems pretty balanced this year. It's to early to tell the overall strength of the conference but it just feels pretty balanced to me.

Go Cowboys!!

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
I asked the same thing last week...so will ask again...why are they not giving ANY snaps to frosh phenom Talyn Shettron?...

Mar 7, 2020
Oklahoma City
Offense: B 34 points...Found some rhythm in the run game...One int and some drops keep this from being an A.

Defense: B Great on 3rd down. 3 sacks. A few too many chunk plays given up.

Special Teams:B+ Good punt and kickoff coverage. A bobbled punt

Overall: B Good solid win over a P5 opponent and put it in gear after ASU cut the lead to 3.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
Offense: B 34 points...Found some rhythm in the run game...One int and some drops keep this from being an A.

Defense: B Great on 3rd down. 3 sacks. A few too many chunk plays given up.

Special Teams:B+ Good punt and kickoff coverage. A bobbled punt

Overall: B Good solid win over a P5 opponent and put it in gear after ASU cut the lead to 3.
I would gave the Offense a C. Besides the INT, SS had a few passes that was not very good. imo, it felt like a dozen drops(#8 just didn’t have a good night) and the dumb penalties.

Rest I agree.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I would gave the Offense a C. Besides the INT, SS had a few passes that was not very good. imo, it felt like a dozen drops(#8 just didn’t have a good night) and the dumb penalties.

Rest I agree.
Honestly he should have thrown 2 more that were dropped. One of them could have been a pick six.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006

Rest I agree.
He has had 5 drops in the first two games. I know he is coming back from a tough injury -- but that is not a good stat.
Like @PF5 said above, would like to see Shettron. Wondering if we are looking to potentially redshirt him or if he is not fully back from his injury.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
#8 has always had an issue with drops. He has elite speed and he's a good route runner, but below average hands. Shettron is that dude, but Gundy and co. are always very hesitant to play true freshmen unless forced like last year.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
#8 has always had an issue with drops. He has elite speed and he's a good route runner, but below average hands. Shettron is that dude, but Gundy and co. are always very hesitant to play true freshmen unless forced like last year.
#8 sounds like a perfect fit for the Philadelphia Eagles

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Overall, I’m giving the offense a B. Sure we struggled a bit in the 1st quarter but made the right adjustments and took control of the game.
What I was most impressed with was the improvement in run blocking and DR turning into a beast.
Sanders has developed and is doing a great job in distributing to multiple receivers. He’s not perfect but definitely improved. Tempo helps his game.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
Honestly he should have thrown 2 more that were dropped. One of them could have been a pick six.
I agree…he also had couple of passes that was either poorly throw or mix communication with the receivers…hope we get it fixed before Big 12 play.

He has had 5 drops in the first two games. I know he is coming back from a tough injury -- but that is not a good stat.
Like @PF5 said above, would like to see Shettron. Wondering if we are looking to potentially redshirt him or if he is not fully back from his injury.

Havent rewatch the game yet but it felt like he dropped more than 5 against ASU. Hope we get Bray back by the Baylor game. I’m curious about Shettron as well.IMO, he should be getting some PT right now to see if its worth burning the redshirt or not. That if he is fully recovered from his injury.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Our starting QB missed one of those games. It does skew the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You’re right it does, obviously there’s a lot of factors that go into it.
I will say though the 315 yards that SI threw was the second highest of the season. I’m not sure how much more production we would’ve had with Sanders in it. I guess we’ll never know.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
not as fun fact:
OSU defense through first two games:
2021: 683 yds, 39 pts (MoSt, Tulsa)
2022: 900 yds, 61 pts (CMU, ASU)
Well the stats don’t lie. Doesn’t really tell the story though. We had our first string in the entire games in 2021. Most of CMUs production came in the 2nd half after we pulled the starters being up 51-15.

But I digress there is a regression as we thought there would be. Losing 4 starters to the NFL and 2 more to the portal… as well as the defensive coordinator. Though my suspicion is that regardless who DC is we would have regression just from a straight talent loss.

I also think our success on offense makes it a little more difficult on the defense.

Mar 8, 2010
The most of impressive part of the offense for me was the fourth quarter during crunch time. When we had to put the game away we were able to and we ran successfully when they knew we were going to. Maybe we were better conditioned but championship teams do what it takes in the fourth quarter if the game is still in doubt.