OSU v. Columbia (Wrestling)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
So when I was a freshman at OSU, a girl I knew from HS called and asked if I wanted to go to a date party at Austin. I said sure, and thought, I'm going to get to check out UT and all the cool stuff in Austin. When I asked her for directions, it was to Sherman, TX (Austin College). Talk about a letdown. However, I did end up dating her roommate for like 3 months, so there's that. Anyway, that's what I first thought when I saw Columbia on the schedule for Sunday at 10 AM (CST), on ESPN+ - a dual between Mizzou and WVU on the same day? Woah. I very quickly realized that couldn't be the case and had to see what "Columbia" we were wrestling. Come to find out, it's the smart ones! The Columbia University Lions are an EIWA conference program. They are the opposite of a storied program, as they have had one top 4 conference finish in the last 20 years, and their last All American was in 2013. They are 1-1 on the year, with a 46-0 win over Long Island University and a 34-3 drubbing by #4 Michigan. They competed in the prestigious Cliff Keen Tournament at the beginning of December and had one guy finish 7th, 165 pounder Josh Ogunsanya. As we can see by their wrestlers, while they may not be title contenders, they aren't like ridiculously bad either. Will be a good warm up for West Virginia a couple hours later. Here's the expected lineups (with the caveat that COVID could change them significantly)

125: #12 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (8-0) v. #27 Joe Manchio (7-2)
133: #1 Daton Fix (8-0) v. #30 Angelo Rini (13-2)
141: #35 Carter Young (5-1) v. #21 Matthew Kazimir (12-1)
149: #10 Kaden Gfeller (6-1) v. #108 Danny Fongaro (12-8)
157: #17 Wyatt Sheets (7-1) v. #43 Kyle Mosher (5-4) or #34 Andrew Garr (8-2)
165: #8 Travis Wittlake (7-1) v. #16 Joshua Ogunsanya (9-3)
174: #13 Dustin Plott (7-0) v. #27 Nick Fine (14-5)
184: #9 Dakota Geer (7-1) v. #90 Brian Bonino (3-5)
197: #1 AJ Ferrari (8-0) v. #103 Joe Franzese (3-5) or #128 Sam Wustefeld (3-2)
285: #17 Luke Surber (6-2) v. #102 Daniel Conley (8-9) or #152 Jalen Stephens (2-7)

The matchups I will be watching closely are 125, 141 and 165.

At 125 Manchio beat Sam Latona 10-8 early in the year (who placed 6th at NCAA's last year). Latona has had a terrible year so far, but he's a good wrestler. Manchio was also a NCAA qualifier in 2020 (Columbia didn't wrestle last summer as Ivy League cancelled sports) and kept it close with Pat Glory in the EIWA tournament that year. Mastro needs to win this one handily to show he belongs in the AA conversation at 125.

At 141 Young Carter will be facing the best guy he's faced since losing his only match to #22 Jake Bergeland in his first start in November. It will be an opportunity to show out and improve his ranking substantially. Kazimir was also a qualifier in 2020 with his only loss this year to #19 Gabe Willochel, 6-3. I'm calling this a win for Young.

At 165 Wittlake has his work cut out for him with Ogunsanya. He's had bonus points in 6 of his 8 wins, including a 3 minute tech fall over #27 Tanner Cook. He's pinned his last two guys (admittedly scrubs) but he's a little dangerous. Wittlake is too, though. they have wrestled two of the same guys in the last year, #4 Shane Griffith and #11 Cameron Amine. Wittlake lost to Griffith 4-0 and Ogunsanya lost 12-4, both at beginning of season. Wittlake beat Amine in March 4-1 while Ogunsaya lost to him 3-1 in November. The good news is that Ogunsaya has lost to every guy he's faced this year at Wittlakes caliber.

The only other match that is close on paper is Plott v. Fine, but I do not think that Plott will have much trouble. He's beaten better guys this year and is just winning steadily, if not crazy impressively.

Even though we are ranked higher in every weight but 141 (which I think we will win), I think they get an "upset" or two here. I'm going to call the final score 31-3 IF our starters go. I was thisclose to giving them 6 points, but I am feeling homer-y tonight. We wrestle West Virginia almost right after at 12:00 Sunday (ESPNU) and I'll have a recap of that as well.

What are your thoughts on this, another lopsided match, but with some interesting matchups? Predictions?

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Quick question. How long does a dual usually take from start to finish?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 28, 2021
Stillwater OK
I expect this to be another shut out. I predict that this will be a continuation of the momentum that started at Air Force. I hope that everyone is back. Like all duals, for OSU to be where they want to be at the end, we need guys to step up. The big needs are Mastro, Young, Gfeller, Plott, and Surber. We need these guys to jump levels. That being said, I predict this is where Mastro makes it clear he is a serious all American threat.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Wait—- Chiefs play on Sunday. Free admissions so my floor seat can be taken by anyone who gets there early. Oh well I will be at the Chiefs game anyway. My guess is they probably won’t set up floor level anyway.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Wonderful— now ISU and NI have changed days and if Chiefs get to AFC Championship game at home I will have a conflict.

From OSU Ticket Office:

Oklahoma State has announced the following changes in the wrestling schedule for Sunday, Jan. 16 and the weekend of Jan. 29-30.

The Cowboys will host Columbia in Gallagher-Iba Arena this Sunday, Jan. 16 at 2 PM. The late addition to the schedule is an open match to the public. No tickets are required for entry and seating is first come, first serve. Doors will open at 1 PM.

There has been a swap in scheduled opponents for the Iowa State and Northern Iowa meets. The teams will swap dates, but the times remain the same. Oklahoma State will now host Northern Iowa on Saturday, January 29, at 7 p.m., and then Iowa State on January 30, at 2 p.m. Both matches will still be streamed on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

For fans who have already purchased tickets, the original ticket for Iowa State on Saturday will now work for Iowa State on Sunday and the ticket for Northern Iowa on Sunday will now work for Northern Iowa on Saturday. Anyone that purchased tickets for either match and can't make it may contact the ticket office for options if they can no longer attend.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Obviously people have seen that Columbia plans to travel to Stillwater on Sunday meaning the Mountaineers were the likely COVID culprits. It will NOT be televised so be there or be square. You should also know that Columbia wrestled #17 Lehigh really tough Friday and were leading going into the heavyweight match, where Jalen Stephens from Columbia was pinned by #4 Jordan Wood for the heartbreaking 20-16 loss.

Mancio (125) beat #16 Jaret Lane 4-3 further solidifying his status as a decent match for Mastro. Kazimir majored #36 Connor McGonagle 11-1 reinforcing the challenge Young Carter will be facing at 141. Ogunsaya beat #31 Brian Meyer 7-2 at 165. All three did their part to show up confident and ready to scrap with our guys.