OSU v. Arkansas-Little Rock (Wrestling)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
So Saturday, Jan. 8th at 7:30 pm, we travel up the road a bit to Little Rock to "battle" the UALR Trojans who are coached by former Cowboy Neil Erisman. It appears to be streaming on their website here: Little Rock vs. Oklahoma State - Little Rock Athletics (lrtrojans.com) but may cost a one time fee of $9.99. It will absolutely be a blow out, and likely be another shutout. I'll probably pay just to support the UALR program, since it is a new program coached by a Cowboy, so keep that in mind. Also the development of the UALR program is fascinating and Jason Bryant has a great serial podcast about it, and the hiring of Erisman. Start with Episode 1. Rocked Up (libsyn.com)

As far as the Little Rock program they are relatively new to D1 as they are only in their 3rd season and as expected, aren't very good yet. With that said, they have had some bright spots both on the mat and in recruiting, mostly with the Bianchi brothers, Matt, Joe and Paul Bianchi. Paul was the first NCAA qualifier for the Trojans and has since graduated, but his little brothers are decent wrestlers and have followed in his footsteps to build the UALR program. UALR wrestles in the Pac 12, oddly, and wanted to be in the Big XII, but someone blocked them for some reason. Maybe someone knows the story. They are 0-2 this year (and only 3-22 all time), losing 32-13 to #13 Wisconsin and 25-18 to #59 Drexel who we blanked. They start 6 freshmen or redshirt freshmen, 3 Sophomores and 1 Junior, so they are extremely young. Here are the expected lineups:

125: #13 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (7-0) v. #99 Jayden Carson (7-6)
133: #1 Daton Fix (7-0) v. #114 Jaylen Carson (9-4)
141: #36 Carter Young (4-1) v. #111 Conner Ward (2-6)
149: #13 Kaden Gfeller (6-1) v. #145 Joseph Bianchi (9-4)
157: #18 Wyatt Sheets (6-1) v. #111 Chase Tebbets (6-4)
165: #8 Travis Wittlake (6-1) v. #68 Tyler Brennan (7-6)
174: #13 Dustin Plott (7-0) v. #58 Triston Wills (7-4)
184: #10 Dakota Geer (6-1) v. #132 Tanner Mendoza (6-4)
197: #1 AJ Ferrari (7-0) v. #158 Brooks Sacharczyk (5-8)
285: #42 Luke Surber (5-2) v. #60 Josiah Hill (9-4)

There is honestly not much to say here. We have the ability to get bonus points in nearly every match. On paper HWT is the only one even remotely competitive but Surber majored a guy that pinned Hill a year ago and our backup Austin Harris beat him 6-2 last weekend at the Scuffle UALR managed to somehow not make the podium (top 8) in any weight class (a limited amount of our backups put 4 on the podium) at the scuffle. Joseph Bianchi beat our 3d or 4th string guy (Joey Sanchez) 4-2. They will need to get better, and quick, to compete, but I do think Erisman is a guy that can do it.

Prediction: 2 pins, 2 techs, 2 majors for a 42-0 win. Honestly, anything less is a let down*.

*Caveat: if all of our guys go. Covid and Covid protocols have taken a ton of wrestlers out of duals lately and they will not take any chances on this dual.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021
Stillwater OK
I hope they go. I'm not overly excited about another shut out but I am looking forward to some more results. It has been a while, but the schedule gets a lot tougher. I know they made adjustments for covid and to give Daton matches, but I wish they would've kept the cowboy challenge.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
So not a ton to say about this dual, the most exciting thing about it was probably the jerky video for the first half of the match. All of a sudden screen goes out and 2 minutes later, perfect stream - almost like they called customer support and they said did you unplug it? I won't even complain about the $10 as hopefully it is going to the program in some way. So, with the jerky video, massive beat down and the Dallas Cowboys game on, I was only partially paying attention. With that said, here are the high (and low) lights.

My prediction was 2 pins, 2 techs, 2 majors for a 42-0 win (If all of our guys wrestled). 2 guys didn't and we had 1 pin, 3 Techs and 2 Majors, so I still wasn't very far off on bonus matches, but we did end up losing two for a 35-6 final. Let's talk about the losses first, both from backups that were plugged in for what I believe were COVID issues (correct me if I'm wrong)

149: Joey Sanchez might be our 3rd or 4th best guy at 149, but we don't want to pull a redshirt for one or two duals. Sanchez has some talent and sometimes can look really good, but sometimes stinks it up. Here he didn't look great against (with a grain of salt) one of their better guys. If you get the nod to the big show, you should show up and he didn't. C'est la vie.

174: Our 157 pounder Jalin Harper goes at 74 for some reason (only available that could make weight?). O'Colly beat writer pulled up this obscure fact: Wills beat Harper in the 2018 Kansas State finals. Wow, lol. Wills also was at OSU for a year before heading to UALR. Was not aware of that either. Anyway, Harper was clearly overmatched strength wise and did what he could to avoid bonus points, and does, losing 7-1. Could've been much worse.

Elsewhere it was mostly domination. Mastro has looked better for sure and came away with an 8-3 win. Wittlake looked really lethargic and won "only" 9-4. Fix probably could have easily pinned his guy but came away with a TF. Geer just utterly dominated his guy with a first period shut out tech. Sheets looked solid too and just wore his guy plum out. AJ was up big and pinned his guy in the first, so that's always a show. No shush needed either as the record UALR crowd was mostly there to see us. They did get a little loud for the Wills/Harper match.

Sheriff "Star" of the Game: Geer for just taking Mendoza's man card in the 1st. HM to Surber, Major decisions by heavyweights not named Gable, Cassioppi or Parris aren't easy to come by and this guy outweighed him by 50 pounds. He didn't allow him to overpower him and got some nice technical takedowns.

Cowboy "Boot" of the Match: Wittlake. Come on man, let's score some points.

Next match is a double header next Sunday vs. Columbia(?) and West Viginia in Morgantown. I haven't seen anything on streaming yet, but it's a Big XII dual so hopefully something pops up. A couple of good matchups with WVU I will preview later in the week. 8-0 Baby!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
We’ve got some of the most knowledgeable wrestling coverage I have ever seen this this year from the Stillwater/OSU media. It’s really nice not reading articles where they don’t understand basic wrestling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
So not a ton to say about this dual, the most exciting thing about it was probably the jerky video for the first half of the match. All of a sudden screen goes out and 2 minutes later, perfect stream - almost like they called customer support and they said did you unplug it? I won't even complain about the $10 as hopefully it is going to the program in some way. So, with the jerky video, massive beat down and the Dallas Cowboys game on, I was only partially paying attention. With that said, here are the high (and low) lights.

My prediction was 2 pins, 2 techs, 2 majors for a 42-0 win (If all of our guys wrestled). 2 guys didn't and we had 1 pin, 3 Techs and 2 Majors, so I still wasn't very far off on bonus matches, but we did end up losing two for a 35-6 final. Let's talk about the losses first, both from backups that were plugged in for what I believe were COVID issues (correct me if I'm wrong)

149: Joey Sanchez might be our 3rd or 4th best guy at 149, but we don't want to pull a redshirt for one or two duals. Sanchez has some talent and sometimes can look really good, but sometimes stinks it up. Here he didn't look great against (with a grain of salt) one of their better guys. If you get the nod to the big show, you should show up and he didn't. C'est la vie.

174: Our 157 pounder Jalin Harper goes at 74 for some reason (only available that could make weight?). O'Colly beat writer pulled up this obscure fact: Wills beat Harper in the 2018 Kansas State finals. Wow, lol. Wills also was at OSU for a year before heading to UALR. Was not aware of that either. Anyway, Harper was clearly overmatched strength wise and did what he could to avoid bonus points, and does, losing 7-1. Could've been much worse.

Elsewhere it was mostly domination. Mastro has looked better for sure and came away with an 8-3 win. Wittlake looked really lethargic and won "only" 9-4. Fix probably could have easily pinned his guy but came away with a TF. Geer just utterly dominated his guy with a first period shut out tech. Sheets looked solid too and just wore his guy plum out. AJ was up big and pinned his guy in the first, so that's always a show. No shush needed either as the record UALR crowd was mostly there to see us. They did get a little loud for the Wills/Harper match.

Sheriff "Star" of the Game: Geer for just taking Mendoza's man card in the 1st. HM to Surber, Major decisions by heavyweights not named Gable, Cassioppi or Parris aren't easy to come by and this guy outweighed him by 50 pounds. He didn't allow him to overpower him and got some nice technical takedowns.

Cowboy "Boot" of the Match: Wittlake. Come on man, let's score some points.

Next match is a double header next Sunday vs. Columbia(?) and West Viginia in Morgantown. I haven't seen anything on streaming yet, but it's a Big XII dual so hopefully something pops up. A couple of good matchups with WVU I will preview later in the week. 8-0 Baby!
Not sure about the WVU dual but I saw some there that the Columbia one will be on ESPN+