OSU - KSU Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
Whatever the problem is, it needs to get fixed. This isn’t an Omaha squad by any measure. Isn’t that the standard? Given what the program is about to boast in terms of facilities I expected to see a better product on the field.
How exactly is that the standard? Osu has been to Omaha 1 time in the last 10+ years. Maybe you and I have a different definition of “standard”. Like it or not the Big 8 Gary Ward days are gone and it’s a different era.

Josh Holliday has had tremendous success with the worst facilities in the league. When you put into perspective the results against our resources at present you’ll have a hard time finding anyone who would produce better results.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Never thought I would see the day where our fan base would let go of the Eddie Sutton era so quickly and accept mediocrity in basketball (heck, how many on this board acted like the NIT appearance last year was some sort of accomplishment), but hey we’re still holding onto that Gary Ward era that ended over 23 years ago, and by golly a 2nd place conference finish and a regional final is a complete failure of a season.

Nov 14, 2010
Whatever the problem is, it needs to get fixed. This isn’t an Omaha squad by any measure. Isn’t that the standard? Given what the program is about to boast in terms of facilities I expected to see a better product on the field.
We are hitting .284 as a team
We average 7 runs and close to 10 hits a game and 1/3 of those hits are extra base hits.

We have an on base percentage of .395 as a team.

We have a slugging Percentage of .441 as a team which would be good enough for 3rd best in all of the Major Leagues based off of last year's stats

And...
That's with Tank and Boone under performing.

That's anything but bad offense.

We do strike out way too much, but that's because we take a lot of pitches and get deep into counts, which is also a factor as to why we have such a high on base percentage.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Need a batting coach. Plate philosophy needs a complete overhaul. It’s as if we don’t have a mindset of getting hits. Josh led the league in walks and it appears he’s coaching to that end. If this doesn’t change his era will end before you know it. He seems to be getting talent but it’s not showing up at the batters box
We have a slugging percentage of 441 as a team, which would be good enough for third-best in the major leagues based off of last year's stats.

But, yet, you say that you think that Josh isn't teaching a mindset of getting hits?

All of this after we got our first sweep of the Season, and it happened to be the first weekend of conference play?

Geez!

Last edited:

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Need a batting coach. Plate philosophy needs a complete overhaul. It’s as if we don’t have a mindset of getting hits. Josh led the league in walks and it appears he’s coaching to that end. If this doesn’t change his era will end before you know it. He seems to be getting talent but it’s not showing up at the batters box
please, just stop already. If OSU was 20-1 right now, you'd bitch about the 1 loss. we just swept a big 12 opponent.........

Last edited:

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I’m amazed at the amount of complaining on this board. Just got a series sweep and seem to be getting some momentum and you’d think we are on the verge of giving up the sport.

You really are a couple bats away from having a nice offense. Taylor, Simpson and McCusker seemed to have pretty good weekends. Boone and Funk have been struggling. Between Boone, Cabbiness, Carter, Funk, Taylor and Garcia if 2 of those guys can make some progress we’ll probably be looking at weekends of .300 team hitting.
it's the nature of some posters on this board.... it's always negative, always sucks, and it's always gonna end badly....... @orng2dabone is steadily rising up to the likes of @cowboyethics344 when it comes to incessant whining and belly aching.........

Dec 6, 2011
We have a slugging percentage of 441 as a team, which would be good enough for third-best in the major leagues based off of last year's stats.

But, yet, you say that you think that Josh isn't teaching a mindset of getting hits?

All of this after we got our first sweep of the Season, and it happened to be the first weekend of conference play?

Geez!

So how does that play into your comments regarding our approach to launch angles for base hits vs swinging for the fences? Josh is teaching it right but our players aren’t all onboard with the approach yet?

Your thoughts on swing mechanics are interesting to me so curious your take here.

Jul 28, 2006
Crack on me all you want. If Omaha isn't the goal anymore, is top 25 too much to ask? I'm all for giving Josh a bit of time in the new facilities, but we haven't been a consistently good hitting team for a few years now. This team looks like more of the same. I feel like JH has done a good job for the most part and I want him to succeed. I do think he has been hampered in his recruiting with the constant propaganda about what a dump Allie P is for years now. (which I think is a bunch of crap. It may not be on par with the better yards in the country but it's not a run down hole like the media would have you believe) Having said, the pattern of weakness i have seen, save injuries, is from the batters box. Not giving up on this team or anything that harsh, just don't see the quality at bats I'd like. Too many watched strikes and too many swings at balls up and out of the zone. Way too many swings out of their spikes. I get the whole put the ball in the air concept out there these days, but you don't have to swing so hard your eyes bleed to get some air under the ball. I just feel like we are much easier to pitch to than other teams in the league and I'd like that to change.

Apr 7, 2006
Yep- the media is just calling Allie P the worst in the league for no reason whatsoever. Texas, TCU, Tech, OU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Arkansas, Wichita State, A&M, LSU, Nebraska - please tell me which of those programs have worse facilities than OSU today?

As far as the hitting, I’m not sure why this was the right weekend to complain. Seems that there were some bright spots and reasons to be encouraged.

Jul 28, 2006
Yep- the media is just calling Allie P the worst in the league for no reason whatsoever. Texas, TCU, Tech, OU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Arkansas, Wichita State, A&M, LSU, Nebraska - please tell me which of those programs have worse facilities than OSU today?

As far as the hitting, I’m not sure why this was the right weekend to complain. Seems that there were some bright spots and reasons to be encouraged.
Twisting my words. Not what I said. I’m not sure if there is a park that’s worse in the league, but frankly neither are you. You’ve not been to all
Of them or inside any of them either. What I am
Saying is it isn’t a dump. No more than Dale Mitchell.

Nov 14, 2010
Screenshot_20190326-001352_Gmail.jpg
So how does that play into your comments regarding our approach to launch angles for base hits vs swinging for the fences? Josh is teaching it right but our players aren’t all onboard with the approach yet?

Your thoughts on swing mechanics are interesting to me so curious your take here.
The MLB skews fly ball stats because they don't include pop ups, but do include homeruns.

So...
Big guys like we recruit are being sold on hitting fly balls.
They are also being sold on matching the plane of their swing with the plane of the pitch.
To do that they think they have to swing up at the ball which is exactly wrong as I showed

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Here is what Josh teaches and is the correct way to match the plane of your swing to the plane of the pitch.

It's all about having a flat swing.
Screenshot_20190326-002126_Gmail.jpg

Notice how flat he stays through the plane he set through his swing and how long he stays flat. And… this is a pitch at the BOTTOM of the zone.

Also, Trout has a very tilted posture, but notice where his head is slotted. You can see the line from back knee through core directly through his head.

In other words…. Although he has a tilted posture, he does NOT lean back.

So… how does he match the plane of the pitch while being flat?

The answer is BAT ANGLE..

He matches the plane of the pitch with his bat angle, NOT NOT NOT NOT by swinging up.

So, almost immediately someone is going to ask this

“How do you stay flat while trying to hit a low pitch? …

So… Good question

How do you reconcile a flat swing while trying to hit a low pitch?

Simple…

By understanding that flat just means staying on plane through contact. It's just simply what we call “long through it”.

As I've shown Trout just did it on a ball in the bottom of the zone...

So…

What does flat do for a hitter?

Well….

Let's go back to timing

It buys a hitter time!

In other words...

In all 3 pictures, late- middle -early, the hitter in each picture was going to hit the ball hard.

The 1st picture would have created a hard ground ball, the 2nd picture would have created a low line drive and the 3rd picture would have created a 25 to 30 degree line drive.

On all 3 of those types of hits, from a statistical perspective, hitters hit over .500

Nov 14, 2010
Here are some pictures of when our hitters are bought in and trying to hit line drives like the system teaches.

20190326_002954.jpg

And...

Here are some pictures of when our Hitters try and do their own thing and lean back in their posture which causes them to NOT have a flat swing which creates swing and miss after swing and miss.

Attachments

Dec 6, 2011
View attachment 69020

The MLB skews fly ball stats because they don't include pop ups, but do include homeruns.

So...
Big guys like we recruit are being sold on hitting fly balls.
They are also being sold on matching the plane of their swing with the plane of the pitch.
To do that they think they have to swing up at the ball which is exactly wrong as I showed
Just that image alone instantly made sense. Thanks.

I know I’ve said this before in here, but I appreciate the technical insights you provide...especially in baseball as I played dirt lot ball as a teen where it came naturally to me hitting, but once it got ‘serious’ where I was put on a team that traveled to a tournament in Germany (USAF parents were stationed in Turkey), it all fell apart as I got thinking too much. Looking back I was thinking about the wrong things, nerves vs any kind of plate approach.

I didn’t really follow our baseball team, despite living in a now-razed house behind Alley P, until our Omaha run...I’ll never forget putting my unborn daughters crib together while watching us sweep the super regional to go to the CWS. Since then I’ve been desperately trying to soak up some advanced info on a game that’s so simple on the surface yet so complex beneath it.

Last edited:

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Crack on me all you want. If Omaha isn't the goal anymore, is top 25 too much to ask? I'm all for giving Josh a bit of time in the new facilities, but we haven't been a consistently good hitting team for a few years now. This team looks like more of the same. I feel like JH has done a good job for the most part and I want him to succeed. I do think he has been hampered in his recruiting with the constant propaganda about what a dump Allie P is for years now. (which I think is a bunch of crap. It may not be on par with the better yards in the country but it's not a run down hole like the media would have you believe) Having said, the pattern of weakness i have seen, save injuries, is from the batters box. Not giving up on this team or anything that harsh, just don't see the quality at bats I'd like. Too many watched strikes and too many swings at balls up and out of the zone. Way too many swings out of their spikes. I get the whole put the ball in the air concept out there these days, but you don't have to swing so hard your eyes bleed to get some air under the ball. I just feel like we are much easier to pitch to than other teams in the league and I'd like that to change.
you telling us that Allie P is a not a dump compared to the other schools in the big 12 and everywhere else in the country proves you don't know what the hell you are talking about............

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
you telling us that Allie P is a not a dump compared to the other schools in the big 12 and everywhere else in the country proves you don't know what the hell you are talking about............
I was pretty sure he proved it way before then.