OSU is Good

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Ok, let's put it in perspective-

We lost 4 TOs
We allowed a KO for TD
We roughed the punter to nullify a 4th down
We had an OL downfield to nullify our TD
We were handicapped by some strange calls, no-calls, and reviews by the zebras.
. . . . . . . . And yet, we still had our shot to win in OT.

We were clearly the better team on offense and defense.

We always seem to lose one game each year that we shouldn't. Didn't think that would be Texas, but maybe that was that game this year..

I'm still very optimistic about this team's chances to be a Championship team. Go Pokes !

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee

We lost 4 TOs
We allowed a KO for TD

We always seem to lose one game each year that we shouldn't. Didn't think that would be Texas, but maybe that was that game this year..

I'm still very optimistic about this team's chances to be a Championship team. Go Pokes !
I agree we are a good team, but championship teams typically don’t make those mistakes.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
We're a good team.....

-Are we conference championship good??? No!!
-Alamo Bowl/Camping World Bowl good? Yes!
-Liberty Bowl good!! Yes if the OL continues to take a beating and Sanders keeps giving the ball away like candy.

We have a championship level defense no question. We don't have a championship level offense especially at the OL position as well as the QB position... and we don't championship special teams from a return game standpoint. Maybe we turns things around, but the OL situation is a complete mess right now.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2006
I've been a Cowboys fan for over forty years now. Aside from a few good years here and there, this program was mired in mediocrity until Miles came in and then handed the reigns over to Gundy. HCMG has created a perennial "good" program, solid culture, level of respectability, etc.

The question for me is how do we take that next step toward equal standing with OU. Creating a culture that thrives in the clutch, winning big games rather than finding ways to lose them. Win the games we're supposed to win and few we're not. Finally put the Poke Choke to rest. Clearly, we're not there yet.

Gundy has taken this program to a new level but this is his ceiling. Until he moves on, we just need to be OK with winning 8-9 games a season, occasionally playing in the Alamo Bowl. Back in the Bob Simmons days, we have taken that deal in second.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I've been a Cowboys fan for over forty years now. Aside from a few good years here and there, this program was mired in mediocrity until Miles came in and then handed the reigns over to Gundy. HCMG has created a perennial "good" program, solid culture, level of respectability, etc.

The question for me is how do we take that next step toward equal standing with OU. Creating a culture that thrives in the clutch, winning big games rather than finding ways to lose them. Win the games we're supposed to win and few we're not. Finally put the Poke Choke to rest. Clearly, we're not there yet.

Gundy has taken this program to a new level but this is his ceiling. Until he moves on, we just need to be OK with winning 8-9 games a season, occasionally playing in the Alamo Bowl. Back in the Bob Simmons days, we have taken that deal in second.
Get back to me once he moves on. I think you will appreciate him a lot better than you do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

We lost 4 TOs
We allowed a KO for TD

Not too shabby.

Aug 19, 2006
Get back to me once he moves on. I think you will appreciate him a lot better than you do now.

I'm not saying its time for him to step aside. I'm just saying we should embrace being "good" because he's not getting us to the next level. He's also not going to let the program backslide.

If he was capable of building a perennial powerhouse program, it would have happened by now. I agree with the subject of this thread. We're a "good" team.

Sep 2, 2007
I mean no disrespect ladies and gents but given OSU’s position, history and the conference overall, I believe “the next step” is not obtainable. As others have mentioned, this is a 9 win program with an occasional run at a Conference Title. When I say occasional I mean once a decade. We are not considered a destination like Texas or OU. While I feel for those guys who come to OSU with Title goals, the hard truth is we are not “that” program. We should be proud with the consistency of our ceiling with an occasional breakout year.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
I mean no disrespect ladies and gents but given OSU’s position, history and the conference overall, I believe “the next step” is not obtainable. As others have mentioned, this is a 9 win program with an occasional run at a Conference Title. When I say occasional I mean once a decade. We are not considered a destination like Texas or OU. While I feel for those guys who come to OSU with Title goals, the hard truth is we are not “that” program. We should be proud with the consistency of our ceiling with an occasional breakout year.
But past history does not predict the future.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I agree we are a good team, but championship coaches typically don’t make those mistakes.
FIFY

Conservative offense mentality is killing us. We used to, still do and will never learn this lesson.
We would have won handily on Saturday if Gundy had been conservative.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL

I’m not sure about that. Played not to lose. Didn’t play to win.
Its almost like we teach the kids to play conservative now, and then when asked to be aggressive they make mistakes. When our O was constantly aggressive, our players knew what to do because they practiced it. Two times when Gundy tried to be aggressive against TX it backfired and arguably cost us the game. Trying to score before half and the punt block debacle. I fear this will just make Gundy even more conservative in the coming games. If we don’t play to win against UO, the odds are against us. Got to be willing to step on their throat if given the chance.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

I’m not sure about that. Played not to lose. Didn’t play to win.
4 possessions with turnovers gave them 20. They never had a sustained drive for points. He could have punted and they never would have scored

Kick the ball out of bounds to prevent kick off return. Again Texas would never have sustained drive.

Roughing the punter after the D had held them

Texas did not score a single point off a sustained drive in regulation. A more conservative approach on any one of those instances would have won the game

Hindsight is 20-20. Just being the devils advocate