OSU football, the stat that will make or break us

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 18, 2010
How many multiple turnover games will Sanders have? And against which teams?
You're getting emoji bombed, but it's a valid question.
4 INT's likely cost us the big 12 championship.

But I don't think we are in that game without him. (I liked Shane, but he was slow footed and our O-line wasn't good) We don't beat ND without him.

He's been a wild card every year. He can be so good. But can also single-handedly gives us an L.

Here's hoping the guy who handles the ball every play on offense will be a year wiser, a little more consistent/accurate, and gain a sense for when not to throw the ball.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I've said this before, but thought I'd research it with actual numbers. First, Sanders was #1 in the Big 12 and #10 in the country running the ball, so that alone makes his passing stats a bit more irrelevant because he's productive in other ways. But look at his pure passing stats and you'll see that only ONE team figured him out last year. Baylor. Otherwise, he was a quite effective passer:

Using the NFL Passer Rating formula:

2021 Season:
1658372802184.png

2021 Season minus the 2 Baylor games:

1658372971755.png

To put the numbers in perspective, the BEST QB last year was Bryce Young with 118.26 rating, while maybe a more comparable dual-threat QB was (the fantastic) Desmond Ridder with 109.25 rating. He's not at either of their levels but fix whatever the Baylor D did to him (and other QBs they played) and he's not that far off.

In conclusion: You can look at Spencer Sanders and find the negative or you can find the positive. I'd say it's more likely than not that with an extra year under his belt he looks more like the guy that we saw against Notre Dame, who had his best game against our best opponent and took home the MVP. But I tend to be optimistic about OSU players.

Aug 28, 2009
The bigger question is whether or not the o-line blocks for him. The only time he struggled with turnovers was when he had a lineman in his face as soon as he touched the ball. The guy is getting “emoji bombed” because this was a stupid ass post and thread that ignores the real problem we’ve had the past few years.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
How many multiple turnover games will Sanders have? And against which teams?

1 vs Baylor because that is his albatross and 1 vs someone like Kansas State or TCU because every QB has an off game. But he's a 4th year guy who has day 1 draft talent if he steps it up this year. We should all be jazzed that the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year returned for his Senior season.

You shouldn't worry about it that much. I don't understand the hate on him. He's basically Zach Robinson with more of a Brett Farve mentality when he forces a pass but with Lamar Jackson type mobility. We are more than fine at the position this year. Our biggest worry is if he gets hurt and it's baby Gundy there to back him up. I mean no disrespect to the backup qb but he hasn't seen any meaningful snaps so we don't know how good he is.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It's a legitimate question but at this point irrelevant. There's nobody else on campus who gives us a better chance of winning. Which is scary because Sanders hasn't played a full season without injuries one time.

And it's not just OLine...yes we have had problems on the line, but making smart decisions when under pressure is part of the job, and it's the most obvious part of the job that he has struggled with. I hope it has improved but if not, it doesn't matter, he's our QB.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Want to protect Spencer? Play fast. He's a different QB when we play an offensive system that fits his skill sets. Tempo, tempo, tempo.
Yep get the ball out quick or start rolling out of the pocket straight away. Watching him stand in there for long developing plays with our OL makes my hair fall out. Can’t afford injuries to Spencer or the OL

Nov 6, 2010
Yep get the ball out quick or start rolling out of the pocket straight away. Watching him stand in there for long developing plays with our OL makes my hair fall out. Can’t afford injuries to Spencer or the OL
Disagree. Some of his best games last year, he started stepping up in the pocket and delivering.

Jul 31, 2008
Baylor probably had the best DL that we played last year so no surprise in the skewed results w/ and w/o Baylor in the stats.

SS will be fine . .. Big12 Championship fine . .

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I just hope and pray he doesn’t get hurt this year. Then we will realize how much we appreciate his talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, o line injuries don't scare me as much as a QB injury. That said, I really think everyone will be very happy with GR long term, Id just prefer not to throw him into the mix this year.

I've said this before, but thought I'd research it with actual numbers. First, Sanders was #1 in the Big 12 and #10 in the country running the ball, so that alone makes his passing stats a bit more irrelevant because he's productive in other ways. But look at his pure passing stats and you'll see that only ONE team figured him out last year. Baylor. Otherwise, he was a quite effective passer:

Using the NFL Passer Rating formula:

2021 Season:
View attachment 96506

2021 Season minus the 2 Baylor games:

View attachment 96507

To put the numbers in perspective, the BEST QB last year was Bryce Young with 118.26 rating, while maybe a more comparable dual-threat QB was (the fantastic) Desmond Ridder with 109.25 rating. He's not at either of their levels but fix whatever the Baylor D did to him (and other QBs they played) and he's not that far off.

In conclusion: You can look at Spencer Sanders and find the negative or you can find the positive. I'd say it's more likely than not that with an extra year under his belt he looks more like the guy that we saw against Notre Dame, who had his best game against our best opponent and took home the MVP. But I tend to be optimistic about OSU players.
Yeah, take away the games that really matter and against good competition and he has great stats. Sanders is a turnover machine. You can't Bob Ross it and just skip over his happy little accidents. He will have a game where he looks incredible where he makes highlight throws and runs, and then have a game where he is mediocre and can't throw simple outs or slants; then he has games where he throws the ball to the other team or drops it when there's slight pressure.

Jul 31, 2008
Yeah, take away the games that really matter and against good competition and he has great stats. Sanders is a turnover machine. You can't Bob Ross it and just skip over his happy little accidents. He will have a game where he looks incredible where he makes highlight throws and runs, and then have a game where he is mediocre and can't throw simple outs or slants; then he has games where he throws the ball to the other team or drops it when there's slight pressure.
Gundy says otherwise. Said Baylor DT was the cause of alot of disruption on SS and he blames that.
But, hey, he's only been a D1 coach for 17 years and you are an internet poster so . . . .