OSU Cowgirls Softball - Women's College World Series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
It's a joke that the NCAA championship game gets a 2:00pm time slot.
Why? Golf plays anywhere from 7 AM to early evening on a M/T/W and if not for specialty channels, would never be aired. Like it or not, along with tennis, gymnastics, field hockey, equestrian, soccer, etc., softball is a second tier sport so not sure what you are expecting. Primetime on Sunday with a pregame show hosted by celebrities?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Why? Golf plays anywhere from 7 AM to early evening on a M/T/W and if not for specialty channels, would never be aired. Like it or not, along with tennis, gymnastics, field hockey, equestrian, soccer, etc., softball is a second tier sport so not sure what you are expecting. Primetime on Sunday with a pregame show hosted by celebrities?
No, but at least an evening timeslot just like the first two games. Hell, move it to another ESPN channel I don't care. Plus the heat index is suppose to be 108 today at 2pm.

It's getting solid ratings
Multi-year highs for NCAA softball tourney
Thursday’s first day of the Women’s College World Series averaged 755,000 viewers on ESPN, the event’s largest opening day audience since 2009. Arizona-Alabama pulled 943,000 to rank as the fourth-most watched opening day game on record.
Leading into the WCWS, last week’s Super Regionals averaged 516,000 viewers — the highest average for the round since 2012. That includes 901,000 for last Saturday’s Washington-Oklahoma game on ABC, the second-most watched Super Regional game in a decade. [ESPN PR/Twitter 6.2, 6.4]

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
No, but at least an evening timeslot just like the first two games. Hell, move it to another ESPN channel I don't care. Plus the heat index is suppose to be 108 today at 2pm.

Multi-year highs for NCAA softball tourney
Thursday’s first day of the Women’s College World Series averaged 755,000 viewers on ESPN, the event’s largest opening day audience since 2009. Arizona-Alabama pulled 943,000 to rank as the fourth-most watched opening day game on record.
Leading into the WCWS, last week’s Super Regionals averaged 516,000 viewers — the highest average for the round since 2012. That includes 901,000 for last Saturday’s Washington-Oklahoma game on ABC, the second-most watched Super Regional game in a decade. [ESPN PR/Twitter 6.2, 6.4]
I agree if for no other reason than the heat index. This is bad for the athletes and fans.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla

if they moved it to another ESPN channel....it could/would hurt the nba ratings at the same time slot. Heaven forbids they can’t do that

Aug 16, 2012

Solid numbers when compared to itself historically, but put it in perspective across all sports
I agree if for no other reason than the heat index. This is bad for the athletes and fans.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
The forecast is for the heat index to be over 100 until after 6:00 and not drop below 90 until 10:00. When would you start it? Sports are played and watched in hot weather all the time.

This evening, you have two NBA playoff games that I cannot believe a softball marketing/programming exec would want to go up against. They will draw more money from TV rights than butts in the seats so they are going to air it at a time they hope it will be the biggest draw. Even the Super Bowl does this. There has been a push for decades to move the game to a weekend night so watch parties and those in attendance can party like its 1999 without having to show up for work the next day. Even if these other events pull away just a fraction of the SB market share, the NFL has routinely stated they will maximize viewers on Sunday and not have to fight NCAA basketball or any other weekend sports for viewership.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
If the championship series was on schedule, game 3 starts at 6pm. Starting the game at 2pm was the only option due to TV contractual obligations. As much as I love softball, they’re not not going to cater to softball over the NBA. I do agree playing at 2pm isn’t ideal considering some will be at work still...weather isn’t ideal as well. 7:30-8 pm start would be nice.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Solid numbers when compared to itself historically, but put it in perspective across all sports

The forecast is for the heat index to be over 100 until after 6:00 and not drop below 90 until 10:00. When would you start it? Sports are played and watched in hot weather all the time.

This evening, you have two NBA playoff games that I cannot believe a softball marketing/programming exec would want to go up against. They will draw more money from TV rights than butts in the seats so they are going to air it at a time they hope it will be the biggest draw. Even the Super Bowl does this. There has been a push for decades to move the game to a weekend night so watch parties and those in attendance can party like its 1999 without having to show up for work the next day. Even if these other events pull away just a fraction of the SB market share, the NFL has routinely stated they will maximize viewers on Sunday and not have to fight NCAA basketball or any other weekend sports for viewership.
I believe you'd still have better viewership numbers at 6-7 on ESPN2 verses 2pm on ESPN.

Aug 16, 2012
Not so sure the fan bases completely overlap. I'm just mainly basing it on peoples work schedule.
I will give you the work schedule argument, but again, the gate is but a fraction of what the broadcast rights are. It is not being broadcast so people can watch the game, it is being broadcast so ESPN can make money. Someone in the chain of command crunched numbers and determined they will make more money airing it this afternoon instead of tonight. Are they right? I do not know but I have to think they have a better handle on it than any of us.