Olympics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
USA isn’t the only country with freedom. Did any other country’s athlete(s) protest their anthem or flag? I’m not trying to make a point, just genuinely curious if this is a US only phenomenon.
They're not "protesting" the flag. They're using the time of the presentation of the colors and national anthems to "protest".

-Other female soccer teams' players knelt included Chile, Great Britain and New Zealand during pre-game anthems.

A Costa Rican incorporated protest right into her performance.

-Alvarado, 18, the first gymnast from Costa Rica to qualify for the Olympics, concluded her floor routine Sunday by taking a knee, placing her left hand behind her back and raising her right fist into the air.

Alvarado's demonstration was the first of its kind on an international stage in elite gymnastics, according to NBC Olympics. Alvarado said the end of her routine was choreographed to highlight the importance of equal rights on a global stage.

Others took protest actions with their behavior.

-The German gymnastics team chose comfort over tradition when they competed in full-length unitards that stretched to their ankles instead of leotards that stopped at the hips.

-Similarly, the Norwegian handball team recently refused to wear bikini bottoms and was fined during the sport's Euro 2021 tournament.

Then you have Sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya from Belarussia. Removed from the team for protesting the Belarussian governments treatment and refused to be sent back claiming asylum.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
I'd say we are probably one of the most diverse countries in the world...probably adds to it.
And I don’t really care if people want to protest the flag or anthem. To me it’s an empty gesture anyways. It’s a great “look at me” opportunity and really not much else. But it doesn’t offend me. I was just curious on whether it was happening with other countries.

Oct 30, 2007
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nbc-dr...pics-ratings-ever-for-tokyo-games-11628547501
NBC Draws Its Lowest Summer Olympics Ratings Ever for Tokyo Games
The Summer Games drew an average of 15.5 million prime-time TV viewers over their 17-day run, the company said, the lowest audience for the Summer Games since NBC started broadcasting them in 1988 and a 42% decline from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016.
Maybe someone can enlighten me here, but how much of a surprise is this given the time zone issues? Beijing is really the only half decent comparison, right? Even then, there wasn't the same prevalence of highlights and results available on mobile devices (things you'll see before you ever get home).

No idea how credible this is, but it looks like only about a 15% drop from Beijing to this year and that's with no Simone Biles who would have been the absolute biggest draw for US viewership.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2008/12/2008-in-review-olympics/

Mar 11, 2006
Maybe someone can enlighten me here, but how much of a surprise is this given the time zone issues? Beijing is really the only half decent comparison, right? Even then, there wasn't the same prevalence of highlights and results available on mobile devices (things you'll see before you ever get home).

No idea how credible this is, but it looks like only about a 15% drop from Beijing to this year and that's with no Simone Biles who would have been the absolute biggest draw for US viewership.

I think the NBC rating results were a disappointment to them, but not a surprise. Time zone always plays a major part. With Beijing, NBC decided to not show many major events live because they were in US overnight hours. This year, NBC showed live events in late night / early morning. And it was much easier for interested viewers to watch highlights. Plus they moved some events to their streaming service Peacock.
Not having Simone hurt, I am sure, but the storyline probably helped them on the day the news broke.

Personally, I think NBC could do a better job explaining and promoting the fact they had content on NBC, USA, CNBC, Peacock, and in many markets specific 4K channels. I have yet to talk to anyone I know that watched the 4K content. I thought the golf looked great in 4K, but I must have been one of the very few viewers.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I think the NBC rating results were a disappointment to them, but not a surprise. Time zone always plays a major part. With Beijing, NBC decided to not show many major events live because they were in US overnight hours. This year, NBC showed live events in late night / early morning. And it was much easier for interested viewers to watch highlights. Plus they moved some events to their streaming service Peacock.
Not having Simone hurt, I am sure, but the storyline probably helped them on the day the news broke.

Personally, I think NBC could do a better job explaining and promoting the fact they had content on NBC, USA, CNBC, Peacock, and in many markets specific 4K channels. I have yet to talk to anyone I know that watched the 4K content. I thought the golf looked great in 4K, but I must have been one of the very few viewers.
You also had the emergence of Michael Phelps in primetime for Beijing. Like everything else, this seems like something people want to read too much into. Just as one example, I love soccer and normally watch all the women's games, but I'm not waking up at 3am and going to bed again for an hour at 5 just to watch a game, especially when I know that I'll get the result and highlights at my fingertips the moment I wake up. I will watch again as soon as the tournament moves to a half decent time zone. Me not watching meant nothing and when I go back to watching it's not some grand expanded audience.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
You also had the emergence of Michael Phelps in primetime for Beijing. Like everything else, this seems like something people want to read too much into. Just as one example, I love soccer and normally watch all the women's games, but I'm not waking up at 3am and going to bed again for an hour at 5 just to watch a game, especially when I know that I'll get the result and highlights at my fingertips the moment I wake up. I will watch again as soon as the tournament moves to a half decent time zone. Me not watching meant nothing and when I go back to watching it's not some grand expanded audience.
The world’s definitely getting smaller, and it just seems like every time you turn around there’s some kind of international championship available for viewing. Maybe the interest level in the olympics is just slowly getting diluted. I also agree on the time, but my declining interest is more influenced by the lack of traditional “rivalries” we had with countries that use to pique my interest, like Cuban boxing, Romanian and Soviet gymnastics, East German swimming, Soviet hockey. I know those countries as we knew them no longer exist, but we just don’t seem to have anything like that any more.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA

I don’t think the time zone issue was that much to blame. There were multiple polls before the olympics even began that said a big chunk of people weren’t interested in this go round. The horrible ratings just proved that those polls were accurate.