Olympics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
I don’t. Just my guess - hence why I typed, “I think”.

She said she was “pissed” that they played the anthem during the June Olympic trials She also said “it was very disrespectful” for the US Olympic committee to play the national anthem. Think about that … A person is competing for the US during the US Olympic trials and she was “pissed” they played the national anthem and not only that thought it was disrespectful.
BTW, she came in 3rd. Don’t the Americans that came in 1st and 2nd deserve the right to celebrate their victory and proudly stand while the anthem is played?

In the past she called white people retarded and tweeted she wanted to smack and then stomp a white kid. And has said that “Mexicans don’t care about people”. Tell me how does that bring attention to a cause?

You tell me her motivation.
didn't realize she said all that (last sentence you posted)...doesn't seem like a very nice person...

BUT...

the other things you said, when read how you state them seem harsh, but the whole story is that she was 'pissed' cuz she felt it was a setup to play when they changed what time it was played:

Berry's Saturday protest isn't the first time she demonstrated against the National Anthem on the Olympic podium. After winning a gold medal at the summer 2019 Pan American Games, she put a fist in the air at the close of the song.

Berry drew harsh criticism after that protest, and was called anti-American and dragged on social media for allegedly disrespecting the troops. At the time, her father Michael, an Iraq war veteran, defended her actions and said, 'For her to do that on the podium is more American than anything, if you ask me, because that's what our country is founded on: freedom of expression, freedom of speech.'

Most recently, she raised a fist again at the trials on Thursday. When the song played after she earned third to make her second U.S. Olympic team, she said that she thought it was a 'set-up' done on 'purpose' to rile her up. '

'I was pissed, to be honest,' Berry said.

But USA Track and Field said the anthem was played once every day at the trials according to a published schedule.

Saturday's schedule listed the time for the anthem as 5.20pm, though it began at around 5.25pm - just as Berry took the podium.

She subsequently claimed that the delay was a deliberate attempt to wind her up.

Also, as for her saying the song is disrespectful, also let's look at the whole story, as to why it is disrespectful to her:

The two-time Olympian - who turned 32 on Tuesday - explained that she takes offense to the third line of the Star-Spangled Banner, which references slavery.

Berry said: 'If you know your history, you know the full song of the National Anthem, the third paragraph speaks to slaves in America, our blood being slain...all over the floor. It's disrespectful and it does not speak for black Americans. It's obvious. There's no question.'

The offending part of the song reads: 'And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, that the havoc of war and the battle's confusion. A home and a country, should leave us no more? Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave, From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave.'

so, you asked me what I felt her motivation is? I stick with my original statement: drawing attention to racial injustice in the US

Mar 11, 2006
didn't realize she said all that (last sentence you posted)...doesn't seem like a very nice person...

BUT...

the other things you said, when read how you state them seem harsh, but the whole story is that she was 'pissed' cuz she felt it was a setup to play when they changed what time it was played:

Berry's Saturday protest isn't the first time she demonstrated against the National Anthem on the Olympic podium. After winning a gold medal at the summer 2019 Pan American Games, she put a fist in the air at the close of the song.

Berry drew harsh criticism after that protest, and was called anti-American and dragged on social media for allegedly disrespecting the troops. At the time, her father Michael, an Iraq war veteran, defended her actions and said, 'For her to do that on the podium is more American than anything, if you ask me, because that's what our country is founded on: freedom of expression, freedom of speech.'

Most recently, she raised a fist again at the trials on Thursday. When the song played after she earned third to make her second U.S. Olympic team, she said that she thought it was a 'set-up' done on 'purpose' to rile her up. '

'I was pissed, to be honest,' Berry said.

But USA Track and Field said the anthem was played once every day at the trials according to a published schedule.

Saturday's schedule listed the time for the anthem as 5.20pm, though it began at around 5.25pm - just as Berry took the podium.

She subsequently claimed that the delay was a deliberate attempt to wind her up.

Also, as for her saying the song is disrespectful, also let's look at the whole story, as to why it is disrespectful to her:

The two-time Olympian - who turned 32 on Tuesday - explained that she takes offense to the third line of the Star-Spangled Banner, which references slavery.

Berry said: 'If you know your history, you know the full song of the National Anthem, the third paragraph speaks to slaves in America, our blood being slain...all over the floor. It's disrespectful and it does not speak for black Americans. It's obvious. There's no question.'

The offending part of the song reads: 'And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, that the havoc of war and the battle's confusion. A home and a country, should leave us no more? Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave, From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave.'

so, you asked me what I felt her motivation is? I stick with my original statement: drawing attention to racial injustice in the US
Although she must have called the anthem disrespectful prior ….in the quote you posted….she said this about the anthem being played after her 3rd place finish at the US Olympic Trials, “I feel like they did that on purpose, and I was pissed, to be honest. I was thinking about what should I do. Eventually, I just stayed there and just swayed. I put my shirt over my head. It was real disrespectful. I know they did that on purpose, but it’ll be all right. I see what’s up”

Think about that. She came in 3rd. The Americans that came in 1st and 2nd had the incredible honor of standing on the podium, standing proudly, and hearing the national anthem played. Yet Berry felt it was “disrespectful” to play the anthem. She made it all about her. At least in this case it wasn’t about “bring attention to a cause”. It was about attention and needing to feel victimize…or least feeling wronged.

Last edited:

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
For some, maybe. I think for others it is need for attention and the desire to be perceived as a victim. Gwen Berry is a good example.

I think leagues like the English Premier League have a better solution to allow athletes to show support for issues. Their players briefly kneel before the soccer match, but not during the anthems of countries. This provides athletes, that choose to do so, to show they are thinking of something larger and more impactful than their athletic event, but it is not done in a way that is disrespectful to a country, flag, anthem, or to their competitive opponents.
Just an FYI.

They don’t play “God Save The Queen” before the match in the Premier League.

Source: My actual live attendance at Premiere League matches.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Although she must have called the anthem disrespectful prior ….in the quote you posted….she said this about the anthem being played after her 3rd place finish at the US Olympic Trials, “I feel like they did that on purpose, and I was pissed, to be honest. I was thinking about what should I do. Eventually, I just stayed there and just swayed. I put my shirt over my head. It was real disrespectful. I know they did that on purpose, but it’ll be all right. I see what’s up”

Think about that. She came in 3rd. The Americans that came in 1st and 2nd had the incredible honor of standing on the podium, standing proudly, and hearing the national anthem played. Yet Berry felt it was “disrespectful” to play the anthem. She made it all about her. At least in this case it wasn’t about “bring attention to a cause”. It was about attention and needing to feel victimize…or least feeling wronged.
disrespectful cuz of the wording, 3rd verse...she made it all about her? maybe she KNEW that she would not 'salute' the flag during national anthem EVER and that's why she didn't...you know her heart better than she does I guess...
agree to disagree

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You could have said your source was Ted Lasso.
That wouldn’t have been true.

You also could have just acknowledged that when you said...

I think leagues like the English Premier League have a better solution to allow athletes to show support for issues. Their players briefly kneel before the soccer match, but not during the anthems of countries.
You didn’t even know that the Premier League doesn’t play “the anthems of the countries” before a match....which WOULD have been true.

Mar 11, 2006
Why I watch the Olympic. A great example just happened. Teenager Lydia Jacoby just won the 100m backstroke. She is from Alaska. NBC was smart and had a camera at a watch party in a gym in Alaska. Fun watching all of her HS classmates go crazy as she won gold in a major upset.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Why I watch the Olympic. A great example just happened. Teenager Lydia Jacoby just won the 100m backstroke. She is from Alaska. NBC was smart and had a camera at a watch party in a gym in Alaska. Fun watching all of her HS classmates go crazy as she won gold in a major upset.
Was an epic moment...only one Olympic sized pool in the whole damn state..and she practices in her high school 25m pool

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So Super Right wing Newsmax has a segment call "The WOKE Olympics" after Trump said last week that Americans were HAPPY the US Women's team lost and where the host openly roots against "embarrassing" US teams at the Olympics.

The GOP has become what they have always accused the Dem's of being.

Newsmax host Grant Stinchfield said he "took pleasure" in seeing the U.S. Olympic basketball and women's soccer teams lose, as he disparaged the involvement of American sports stars in "social justice nonsense."
In a segment captioned "the woke Olympics," the anchor on the conservative news network said that he was delighted by the surprise defeats handed to U.S. Olympic teams during the games in Tokyo.
"I found myself rooting against not just Megan Rapinoe and her merry band of America-hating female soccer players," he said, referring to the sportswoman who champions social justice causes, "but I took pleasure in the men's basketball Team USA's first team loss since 2004."

"Somebody ought to go up to them and just rip USA off their chest, I don't want them wearing it personally.

Trump said last week that "Americans were happy" the U.S. soccer team lost, which he blamed on "wokeism"—his take on the term woke or wokeness, which describes an awareness of racial prejudice and discrimination.

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1419996174510133274

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
An interesting story about the other guy on the podium that day in 1968:

https://www.history.com/news/1968-mexico-city-olympics-black-power-protest-backlash

Snippet:
As the American athletes raised their fists, the stadium hushed, then burst into racist sneers and angry insults. Smith and Carlos were rushed from the stadium, suspended by the U.S. team, and kicked out of the Olympic Village for turning their medal ceremony into a political statement. They went home to the United States, only to face serious backlash, including death threats.

However, Carlos and Smith were both gradually re-accepted into the Olympic fold, and went on to careers in professional football before retiring. Norman, meanwhile, was punished severely by the Australian sports establishment. Though he qualified for the Olympic team over and over again, posting the fastest times by far in Australia, he was snubbed by the team in 1972. Rather than allow Norman to compete, the Australians did not send a sprinter at all.
There is a documentary called The Stand you should check out. It’s good stuff.
And Real Sports did a piece called the The Third Man that is great on this.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1420122875323985920
Uncalled for.

This is why I said freedom rocks. This thread is filled with varying degrees of opinions on these olympics. None wrong. Furthermore, regardless of the stance, the athlete or any of us, have the right to express our opinion. I know I do. Even if I’m in complete disagreement with that opinion, I still love the fact~that they could freely express themselves. And that applies to the dingleberry calling out Biles.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1420122875323985920
First, who is Charlie Kirk? Why is he someone anyone should listen to?

Second, this is obviously a stupid take.
Watching her get completely disoriented on that vault makes her decision understandable. As a complete outsider, it seems like she let her own greatness get in her head. She leaned into it and increased the pressure on herself to be invulnerable and superhuman. Then, at the worst time possible, she discovered she's not and seems to not be able to recover. With these games structured the way they are, I do wonder what supports she has there. Seems like the absolute worst setup for situations like these. Almost no family, no friends, minimal coaching. She's likely in a catch 22 where she doesn't have what athletes often need to get back out, but withdrawing just makes it worse. Otherworldly self criticism is often necessary for greatness and this is probably the other ugly side of that.