Olympics’ first trans athlete defies science and fairness in quest for gold

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
It’s official: For the first time ever, a transgender athlete has qualified for an Olympic team. New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard was selected for the national team on Monday and will be competing in the “super-heavyweight” category in the sport.

Born biologically male and originally named Gavin, Hubbard transitioned in 2012 after competing as a male in juniors matches. Hubbard’s first competition after transitioning, in 2017, was a blowout. The local New Zealand Herald reported at the time that “Hubbard, 39, won the women’s over-[198-lbs.] division at the Melbourne event, setting four unofficial national records in the process. Hubbard lifted a combined total of [591 lbs.] — [42 lbs.] better than silver medalist Iuniarra Sipaia of Samoa.”

It isn’t a coincidence that the first transgender athlete to make an Olympic team is a biologically male weightlifter, now competing in the female division. If you were a gambling man — or woman, they’re interchangeable, after all — you’d bet that the trailblazing transgender athlete in Olympic sport wouldn’t be a biological born male in gymnastics, nor a biological female in a male weightlifting division.

You would make these assumptions, because in all likelihood, the transgender athlete breaking into a particular sport would be able to do so because of a distinct biological advantage over competitors.

That’s the case for Hubbard, who, despite falling within the maximum limit of testosterone deemed acceptable for the International Olympic Committee, boasts an incontrovertible edge over the competition. And that competition, understandably, isn’t too pleased with being forced to face Hubbard in the lifelong quest for Olympic gold.

On Hubbard’s qualifying for the New Zealand team, CNN reports, “Belgian weightlifter Anna Vanbellinghen told an Olympics news website the situation was ‘unfair’ and ‘like a bad joke.’ ”

To leftist and gender ideologues obsessed with “progress” and “fairness,” Hubbard being cleared to compete against biological females is a resounding victory. Kereyn Smith, the CEO of the New Zealand Olympic Committee, defended the move, explaining, “As well as being among the world’s best for her event, Laurel has met the IWF eligibility criteria, including those based on IOC Consensus Statement guidelines for transgender athletes. We acknowledge that gender identity in sport is a highly sensitive and complex issue requiring a balance between human rights and fairness on the field of play.”

Smith is correct that in addition to being the first transgender Olympic athlete, Hubbard is among the world’s best weightlifters in Hubbard’s division. This, despite being the oldest qualifying weightlifter at 43, and despite recovering from what many assumed would be a career-ending injury at the Commonwealth Games three years ago.

But Hubbard was able to qualify despite these hurdles because of a clear and undeniable upper hand afforded by something else: namely, male muscle mass and stamina. The left, which claims to champion Science with a capital-“s,” should know this.

As anyone with even passing knowledge of genetics and anatomy understands, one’s manhood isn’t determined merely by the levels of testosterone flowing through the bloodstream at the moment of testing — the metric the IOC has determined fair for allowing transgender athletes to compete. There are other biological elements that distinguish biological men from women.

Olympic weightlifter calls transgender athlete’s inclusion a ‘bad joke’
Upon discovering human remains, scientists are able to determine if one is male or female, even with just a few samples of study. These determinations, made by those with expertise ranging from archeology to forensics, can be made any number of ways; via anatomy or genetics.

Men and women are undeniably built differently. In her statement about Hubbard, Smith also explained, “As the New Zealand team, we have a strong culture of . . . inclusion and respect for all.” But the question arises: Where is that sense of respect for the women who have trained for this moment their entire lives, only to be faced with an opponent they have little hope of besting? Where was this obligation for inclusion for the New Zealand weightlifter who didn’t make the team because Hubbard took her spot instead?

Progress shouldn’t mean stripping women of their hard-earned right to compete on the Olympic stage, nor should it mean the denial of science. But that is what is considered fairness in 2021.

Emphasis added

Attachments

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Wonder what the odds are on this person winning gold....probably have to bet 20 bucks to win 1. All the biological females can still aspire to win silver I guess...yay progress.
The weight total set a New Zeland lifting record but, is far from the world record.

It will be interesting to see if a biological woman on steriods can outlift a biologic man on hormone replacement therapy.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Lol! yep. Since this has been getting a lot of media coverage and wasn't mentioned here on the @Binman4OSU news agency (no knock, I really like him) I thought it might be a worthwhile discussion. Or not, given the boards left leaning proclivities.
Been SUPER busy with work and life recently. I've seen the story but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I know it will make me watch this damn stupid sport in the Olympics now to see the world records fall

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Been SUPER busy with work and life recently. I've seen the story but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. l
Don't start giving us those liberal BS excuses. You have one job around here and you having been failing so @bleedinorange had to take up the slack. Just admit it. Take some personal responsibility and do better like an honorable man would.

Nov 6, 2010
I don't understand how this is getting anywhere. Several high profile LGBT athletes have come out against this stuff publicly, even that loon Bruce Jenner is against it. Not sure who is pushing this.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I hope she shatters the world records just to, hopefully, see some uproar.
At this point, we need to break the system to show how ridiculous it has become. In the words of Joe Rogan: "Eventually, we're all just going to have to accept the fact that we're cheering a man beating the ever loving crap out of a woman." It's a disgusting situation.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand how this is getting anywhere. Several high profile LGBT athletes have come out against this stuff publicly, even that loon Bruce Jenner is against it. Not sure who is pushing this.
It's like five people on twitter that the far left seems to be beholden to. No one in the real world thinks this is fair or a good idea.

Nov 23, 2010
Wonder what the odds are on this person winning gold....probably have to bet 20 bucks to win 1. All the biological females can still aspire to win silver I guess...yay progress.
6th at the 2019 World's. Looks to me like the the current world record holder, Li Wenwen, will be in the field. Her WR appears to be 50 KG better than Hubbard's best.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Been SUPER busy with work and life recently. I've seen the story but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. l
Don't start giving us those liberal BS excuses. You have one job around here and you having been failing so @bleedinorange had to take up the slack. Just admit it. Take some personal responsibility and do better like an honorable man would.
Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/KTULNews/status/1407738318457028616?s=19

The one and only comment on that tweet:
"I'm a longtime Packers fan. F*ck Brett Farve. And That headline is hurtful and inflammatory."

https://twitter.com/Elliedragonyah1/status/1407894081175437315?s=19

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
I would opine that homosexuality as demonstrated in all cultures and replete in the animal kingdom is a natural occurring event in nature. That's what my science education tells me. OTOH, I have to throw shade on the transgender community due to the virtual absence of evidence other than anecdotal or opinions outside of empirical science that such a phenomena exists barring birth defects. In my (possibly limited) thinking I see the trans issue as the mentally ill aspect of homosexuality reaching into gender dysmorphia conditions. Would like to hear more knowledgeable opinions backed with hard evidence (not "well I think") on the issue. I'm always willing to learn if facts are presented.

OLYMPICS
Published 10 hours ago
Cece Telfer, champion transgender hurdler, ruled ineligible for US Olympic trials
Telfer's manager said his client would accept the ruling

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.
Cece Telfer, a transgender woman who won an NCAA Division II championship in 2019, was ruled ineligible Wednesday to compete in the U.S. Olympic trials.
USA Track and Field (USATF) said in a statement Telfer failed to meet the World Athletic requirements to be eligible for trials. She had initially been on the list for Friday’s opening heats but an updated list Wednesday did not include her name.

World Athletics’ guidelines, released in 2019, stated that female athletes’ testosterone levels were at 5 nanomoles per liter or more were barred from events between distances of 400 meters and a mile. Telfer was readying to compete in the women’s 400-meter hurdles at Olympic trials.
USATF said it "strongly supports inclusivity and providing a clear path to participation in the sport for all, while also maintaining competitive fairness."

Telfer won an NCAA title at Franklin Pierce University. (Rudy Gonzalez/NCAA Photos via Getty Images)
"If CeCe meets the conditions for transgender athlete participation in the future, we wholeheartedly back her participation in international events as a member of Team USATF."
USATF said it was notified last week Telfer did not meet the conditions.

David McFarland, Telfer’s manager, told the Associated Press his client would respect the decision of the USATF and World Athletics.
"CeCe has turned her focus towards the future and is continuing to train," he said. "She will compete on the national -- and world -- stage again soon."
According to World Athletics’ rules, an athlete must stay below the threshold for 12 months. The organization said transgender female athletes can lower their testosterone level using an oral contraceptive pill, hormone therapy pills or having surgery to remove their testicles.
Telfer won an NCAA title in 2019 as a member of the Franklin Pierce University. She had previously competed for the men’s team, took time off, then competed for the women’s team.

"I love what I'm doing and I'm getting to live my truth and live my authentic life. I believe that this is my way of being the change that I want to see in the world. And I live by that every single day," she said in a blog post for Women’s Health last week.
Telfer told OutSports in 2019 she had no extra benefit in her races by being transgender. She said her height and the distance between hurdles were part of the disadvantages she faced. She said hormone suppression isn’t helping her either.
"So it’s crazy! I’m the crazy one, to be the weakest female, the weakest link in the chain, to be competing against the top ones. I should be fingered as the stupid one, for wanting to do that in the first place," she added.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I would opine that homosexuality as demonstrated in all cultures and replete in the animal kingdom is a natural occurring event in nature. That's what my science education tells me. OTOH, I have to throw shade on the transgender community due to the virtual absence of evidence other than anecdotal or opinions outside of empirical science that such a phenomena exists barring birth defects. In my (possibly limited) thinking I see the trans issue as the mentally ill aspect of homosexuality reaching into gender dysmorphia conditions. Would like to hear more knowledgeable opinions backed with hard evidence (not "well I think") on the issue. I'm always willing to learn if facts are presented.

OLYMPICS
Published 10 hours ago
Cece Telfer, champion transgender hurdler, ruled ineligible for US Olympic trials
Telfer's manager said his client would accept the ruling

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.
Cece Telfer, a transgender woman who won an NCAA Division II championship in 2019, was ruled ineligible Wednesday to compete in the U.S. Olympic trials.
USA Track and Field (USATF) said in a statement Telfer failed to meet the World Athletic requirements to be eligible for trials. She had initially been on the list for Friday’s opening heats but an updated list Wednesday did not include her name.

World Athletics’ guidelines, released in 2019, stated that female athletes’ testosterone levels were at 5 nanomoles per liter or more were barred from events between distances of 400 meters and a mile. Telfer was readying to compete in the women’s 400-meter hurdles at Olympic trials.
USATF said it "strongly supports inclusivity and providing a clear path to participation in the sport for all, while also maintaining competitive fairness."

Telfer won an NCAA title at Franklin Pierce University. (Rudy Gonzalez/NCAA Photos via Getty Images)
"If CeCe meets the conditions for transgender athlete participation in the future, we wholeheartedly back her participation in international events as a member of Team USATF."
USATF said it was notified last week Telfer did not meet the conditions.

David McFarland, Telfer’s manager, told the Associated Press his client would respect the decision of the USATF and World Athletics.
"CeCe has turned her focus towards the future and is continuing to train," he said. "She will compete on the national -- and world -- stage again soon."
According to World Athletics’ rules, an athlete must stay below the threshold for 12 months. The organization said transgender female athletes can lower their testosterone level using an oral contraceptive pill, hormone therapy pills or having surgery to remove their testicles.
Telfer won an NCAA title in 2019 as a member of the Franklin Pierce University. She had previously competed for the men’s team, took time off, then competed for the women’s team.

"I love what I'm doing and I'm getting to live my truth and live my authentic life. I believe that this is my way of being the change that I want to see in the world. And I live by that every single day," she said in a blog post for Women’s Health last week.
Telfer told OutSports in 2019 she had no extra benefit in her races by being transgender. She said her height and the distance between hurdles were part of the disadvantages she faced. She said hormone suppression isn’t helping her either.
"So it’s crazy! I’m the crazy one, to be the weakest female, the weakest link in the chain, to be competing against the top ones. I should be fingered as the stupid one, for wanting to do that in the first place," she added.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
So this person is really just what used to be called a transvestite. They want to dress as a female but don't want to go through with the surgeries.

"So it’s crazy! I’m the crazy one, to be the weakest female, the weakest link in the chain, to be competing against the top ones. I should be fingered as the stupid one, for wanting to do that in the first place," she added."

Huh? The weakest female? You won a championship as a female....

As for your question about the science, anytime I question it, I'm pointed to articles about the .00001%(or whatever it is) that are born hermaphrodite. They say it's proof of many things, that there are more than 2 genders, that people can feel like they are in the wrong body, etc... And the other person acts like they just dropped the mic and won't talk further. Like about the fact that hermaphrodites are a genetic anomaly that usually have other traits at birth that make it easy to assign a correct gender and most of them grow up to have normal lives as that gender. Or that these people are not coming out saying they were born hermaphrodite and were given the wrong gender. Especially when they won't even go through with the surgery to finish off their transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.