Oklahoma to get 3rd highest number of afghan refugees

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Fair enough, is escaping violence why the come here? If it is, why not do what some have done from St. Louis and other violent US cities and just move to smaller towns?
I’m not sure if this is a serious question.

They aren’t escaping random big city violence. You are doing just like the Australians who would tell me that the US could simply buy back guns and solve the gun problem since that worked there. The issues they are dealing with are completely different than the very limited perspective you are displaying.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I’m not sure if this is a serious question.

They aren’t escaping random big city violence. You are doing just like the Australians who would tell me that the US could simply buy back guns and solve the gun problem since that worked there. The issues they are dealing with are completely different than the very limited perspective you are displaying.
It was a serious question. I supposed you're saying it's not just escaping violence or economic opportunity but both those things and more. Apparently they didn't get the memo about how systemically racist we are here.

I'll say this for you, I think sometimes you get so ideologically locked in you lose objectivity, but I think you're sincere and you "walk the walk." So thank you for that.

A side note, it appears to me when the government tells the Aussies to do something they shrug their collective shoulders and say, "okay mate" and do it. I know that's an over generalization but they seem to have a lot more of that in them than Americans do.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It was a serious question. I supposed you're saying it's not just escaping violence or economic opportunity but both those things and more. Apparently they didn't get the memo about how systemically racist we are here.

I'll say this for you, I think sometimes you get so ideologically locked in you lose subjectivity, but I think you're sincere and you "walk the walk." So thank you for that.

A side note, it appears to me when the government tells the Aussies to do something they shrug their collective shoulders and say, "okay mate" and do it. I know that's an overgeneralization but they seem to have a lot more of that in them than Americans do.
LOL. I lose subjectivity. You are making very self-centered claims about the lives of people that are completely different than yours that you have no contact with to the point that I think your questions are simply trolling and I'm the one that has lost subjectivity.

And, I'll say for you, no matter how completely oblivious you are to what is happening outside yourself, you based your opinions on the struggles of others completely on your own experience. You simply won't believe what you didn't experience yourself and yet you also do not seem to go out and experience much beyond your middle America white guy life.

I saw a 15-year-old this Wednesday whose mother was gunned down by a cartel in front of him in their kitchen when he was 12. Yeah, I'm sure the first thing on his mind was economic opportunity. I should have scolded him that he didn't move to an even smaller town instead of tainting our society with his presence.

This has nothing to do with "ideology" even though it is the boring common theme of this board to pigeonhole make me be "a liberal" so that you can make fun of all liberalism instead of the point I am personally making. This has nothing to do with religion other than I'm gobsmacked about how often people are on here claiming a religion while having opinions and acting completely opposed to the religion's actual teachings. This is simply my belief on what is the right way to treat humans and also what is best for our country.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
LOL. I lose subjectivity. You are making very self-centered claims about the lives of people that are completely different than yours that you have no contact with to the point that I think your questions are simply trolling and I'm the one that has lost subjectivity.

And, I'll say for you, no matter how completely oblivious you are to what is happening outside yourself, you based your opinions on the struggles of others completely on your own experience. You simply won't believe what you didn't experience yourself and yet you also do not seem to go out and experience much beyond your middle America white guy life.

I saw a 15-year-old this Wednesday whose mother was gunned down by a cartel in front of him in their kitchen when he was 12. Yeah, I'm sure the first thing on his mind was economic opportunity. I should have scolded him that he didn't move to an even smaller town instead of tainting our society with his presence.

This has nothing to do with "ideology" even though it is the boring common them of this board to pigeonhole make me be "a liberal" so that you can make fun of all liberalism instead of the point I am personally making. This has nothing to do with religion other than I'm gobsmacked about how often people are on here claiming a religion while having opinions and acting completely opposed to the religion's actual teachings. This is simply my belief on what is the right way to treat humans and also what is best for our country.
Crap, I realized my "subjectivity" mistake and tried to correct it but you were already on it.

It's game day, I really didn't intend to go down that path. Believe it or not, I have learned some, and l considered some other points from your posts.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Crap, I realized my "subjectivity" mistake and tried to correct it but you were already on it.

It's game day, I really didn't intend to go down that path. Believe it or not, I have learned some, and l considered some other points from your posts.
I'm not saying everyone that shows up with a sad story should get in. And, I don't think that is what happens. Of course, there are people that want to get in and will try despite not really being under threat. But, that is why we have a process. Instead of everyone looking at the border and saying horrible things about people, walls, border patrol or whatever, maybe we should look at it and think, "Wow, how has it gotten this bad out there that thousands of people would rather wait outside under a bridge in the desert than try to make it work at home."

It seems to me that the majority that do get asylum often end up being great citizens. They know what true struggle is.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm not saying everyone that shows up with a sad story should get in. And, I don't think that is what happens. Of course, there are people that want to get in and will try despite not really being under threat. But, that is why we have a process. Instead of everyone looking at the border and saying horrible things about people, walls, border patrol or whatever, maybe we should look at it and think, "Wow, how has it gotten this bad out there that thousands of people would rather wait outside under a bridge in the desert than try to make it work at home.

It seems to me that the majority that do get asylum often end up being great citizens. They know what true struggle is.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, first generation Americans generally are more patriotic, work harder, and save more than the rest of us. I always remember when I was selling investments, I was talking to someone who appeared to be of Middle Eastern heritage and I said something about municipal bonds would get you out of paying Uncle Sam, which resonates with a lot of people. He snapped back "this is a great country and I am lucky to pay Uncle Sam. I should pay him twice!"

Every once in a while a good perspective slap in the face is healthy.

In short again, I want to make it easier to immigrate here legally and harder to do it illegally.

Dec 9, 2013
I've said it before and I'll say it again, first generation Americans generally are more patriotic, work harder, and save more than the rest of us. I always remember when I was selling investments, I was talking to someone who appeared to be of Middle Eastern heritage and I said something about municipal bonds would get you out of paying Uncle Sam, which resonates with a lot of people. He snapped back "this is a great country and I am lucky to pay Uncle Sam. I should pay him twice!"

Every once in a while a good perspective slap in the face is healthy.

In short again, I want to make it easier to immigrate here legally and harder to do it illegally.
I would encourage anyone w a perspective and willingness like you have to check out OSU’s Family Resource Center. It’s just north of the soccer field. It’s truly a melting pot w students and their families from all over. Some of the best people I’ve ever met work there and use it as a resource. I’m also sure they would love to visit about ways we could help.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I would encourage anyone w a perspective and willingness like you have to check out OSU’s Family Resource Center. It’s just north of the soccer field. It’s truly a melting pot w students and their families from all over. Some of the best people I’ve ever met work there and use it as a resource. I’m also sure they would love to visit about ways we could help.
FRC is a great resource and has many needs. If you know of anyone looking for a good place to donate time and material objects, please check them out. They have a lending closet for kitchen items for residents, always need cold weather clothing for the children and residents, need baby items, school supplies and holiday angel tree items. Imagine being a family of four moving from overseas with what you can carry on the plane and having little money. That's what they need. PLEASE give them a call. And I have heard that they are taking in some Afghan refugees soon.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Would be interesting if refugees and asylum seekers were distributed to states based on population. Why does Oklahoma who ranks 28th get the 3rd most? Cali, Texas, Florida, NY and Penn should all get the lions share of all of them. Would like for Connecticut to take a similar share as OK. Connecticut who has a similar population shows around 300 approved while Oklahoma has 1,800, NY and Florida have less than that... NIMBY in full force.

https://www.axios.com/afghan-refugees-each-state-data-bea47ca4-0212-4a41-98bd-a2ea9f15a5bc.html

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Would be interesting if refugees and asylum seekers were distributed to states based on population. Why does Oklahoma who ranks 28th get the 3rd most? Cali, Texas, Florida, NY and Penn should all get the lions share of all of them. Would like for Connecticut to take a similar share as OK. Connecticut who has a similar population shows around 300 approved while Oklahoma has 1,800, NY and Florida have less than that... NIMBY in full force.

https://www.axios.com/afghan-refugees-each-state-data-bea47ca4-0212-4a41-98bd-a2ea9f15a5bc.html
Pretty sure that Stitt volunteered OK for as many refugees as they wanted to send us in this case