Oklahoma to get 3rd highest number of afghan refugees

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Trump built 80 miles of new fence. The rest was replacing existing fencing.
The democrats fought him every step of the way, only now to accuse him of not really following through on his promise to build a wall.

Some parts of the existing fence were so dilapidated it pretty much is like building a wall.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If the point is to avoid violence, people in St. Louis and Chicago should be seeking asylum in Central or South America. Most Central and South American countries have a lower homicide rate than those cities in the US.

It's economic opportunity that brings them here. I don't blame them, but escaping violence makes a better talking point.

Dec 9, 2013
The democrats fought him every step of the way, only now to accuse him of not really following through on his promise to build a wall.

Some parts of the existing fence were so dilapidated it pretty much is like building a wall.
And republicans accused Obama of having an open border the same they are doing to Biden. I’m not defending either just pointing out the hypocrisy of both sides. Personally I would rather take the $ we are spending on a fence and invest in technology and more border patrol agents (like a lot more).

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
And republicans accused Obama of having an open border the same they are doing to Biden. I’m not defending either just pointing out the hypocrisy of both sides. Personally I would rather take the $ we are spending on a fence and invest in technology and more border patrol agents (like a lot more).
I agree. Border security is important. But with a wall we are talking 9th century technology for a 21st century problem. If we are going to be serious about people crossing the border don't worry about a wall and do something more current about it.

Build processing centers every couple of hundred miles. Have them manned with drones covering their areas and either beef up the border patrol or use the national guard. It doesn't even have to be an emergency call up. Just rotate units in the border states or even beyond when they have to do training. Someone is trying to get through, catch them and take them to a modern processing center. They get a week of being treated like a human being with hot showers and decent meals. If they are truly seeking asylum help them. If they are trying to emigrate for financial reasons, have lawyers who can assist them with their next move and if that move is back to a 3rd world country so be it. If we catch people who have ulterior motives for coming in either prosecute them or ship them back to wherever they came from.

I'm fine with people emigrating here legally and I get the desperation for people who try to sneak in. But dropping 50 billion on a wall that a shovel or ladder can beat won't solve it.

Dec 9, 2013
I agree. Border security is important. But with a wall we are talking 9th century technology for a 21st century problem. If we are going to be serious about people crossing the border don't worry about a wall and do something more current about it.

Build processing centers every couple of hundred miles. Have them manned with drones covering their areas and either beef up the border patrol or use the national guard. It doesn't even have to be an emergency call up. Just rotate units in the border states or even beyond when they have to do training. Someone is trying to get through, catch them and take them to a modern processing center. They get a week of being treated like a human being with hot showers and decent meals. If they are truly seeking asylum help them. If they are trying to emigrate for financial reasons, have lawyers who can assist them with their next move and if that move is back to a 3rd world country so be it. If we catch people who have ulterior motives for coming in either prosecute them or ship them back to wherever they came from.

I'm fine with people emigrating here legally and I get the desperation for people who try to sneak in. But dropping 50 billion on a wall that a shovel or ladder can beat won't solve it.
I could be wrong but we’ve spent like $15B on 500 miles of fence (remember we were told you could build a 20’ beautiful concrete wall the entire length for like $6B and Mexico would pay for it but I digress).

So if my math is right and the border is rounded to 2000 miles that means the entire fence would cost about $60B which is probably light because most of what has been built is the low hanging fruit. So take that $60B earn 5% and that’s $3B/yr. Assume total cost of a Border Patrol officer is $200,000/yr including benefits and you can hire 15,000 officers. Along a 2,000 mile border that’s 1 agent every block basically.

I realize the first $15B is sunk but w the $ we are talking I was just trying to use round #s to show what Human Resources at the border vs 9th century technology (as you smartly described).

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You're telling me it's not an open border?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
You are conflating a legitimate beef with illegal immigration with legal immigration. Massive differences.

It makes sense to me that we accept some Afghans and provide them a pathway to citizenship in future, if they choose. We should have policies for legal immigration. Heck, my wife and I are both beneficiaries as both my dad and FIL were not born in US.
Yes, I agree, which is why I earlier acknowledged my mistake on referencing the wrong group.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
If the point is to avoid violence, people in St. Louis and Chicago should be seeking asylum in Central or South America. Most Central and South American countries have a lower homicide rate than those cities in the US.

It's economic opportunity that brings them here. I don't blame them, but escaping violence makes a better talking point.
Because nationwide homicide rates in comparison to the worst-city homicide rates has anything at all to do with the personal asylum stories of immigrants.

Sure, if someone is dumb enough to show up at the border and their argument for coming is overall homicide rates instead of a personal story of violence that is not able to be corrected by the corrupt authorities then, of course, send them back. But, I meet a lot of immigrants and hear a lot of stories. None of them that I have met have actually been stupid enough to think like that.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Because nationwide homicide rates in comparison to the worst-city homicide rates has anything at all to do with the personal asylum stories of immigrants.

Sure, if someone is dumb enough to show up at the border and their argument for coming is overall homicide rates instead of a personal story of violence that is not able to be corrected by the corrupt authorities then, of course, send them back. But, I meet a lot of immigrants and hear a lot of stories. None of them that I have met have actually been stupid enough to think like that.
I don't think they think they are motivated by escaping violence or even say they are. That's an angle others have made up for the reason they come here.

I just thought it was statistically crazy when I heard that and looked it up, St. Louis is pretty high on the list world wide.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I don't think they think they are motivated by escaping violence or even say they are. That's an angle others have made up for the reason they come here.

I just thought it was statistically crazy when I heard that and looked it up, St. Louis is pretty high on the list world wide.
How many of them do you talk to?

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
How many of them do you talk to?
Fair enough, is escaping violence why the come here? If it is, why not do what some have done from St. Louis and other violent US cities and just move to smaller towns?