Oklahoma to get 3rd highest number of afghan refugees

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
But in order to petition for asylum, a process you describe as formal and one you honestly support, you have to be IN the US. There are other ways to do that but one is to physically be in the US. And not everyone who applies get asylum. The majority are rejected and subject to deportation.
I don’t consider standing at a port of entry, or under a bridge to be in the US. Just like customs in the airport at Kennedy, seek asylum all you want, but they can still fly or ship your butt back.

Dec 9, 2013
I don’t consider standing at a port of entry, or under a bridge to be in the US. Just like customs in the airport at Kennedy, seek asylum all you want, but they can still fly or ship your butt back.
That’s not what you said earlier when you said you were being honest (your word). Why don’t you really be honest and say what you keep dancing around?

Honestly (your word) what true asylum seekers can afford to fly into the US and present themselves at customs and what asylum seeker leaving a country ravaged by poverty and 2 natural disasters travels across multiple countries in 100 degree weather and then lives under a bridge?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
That’s not what you said earlier when you said you were being honest (your word). Why don’t you really be honest and say what you keep dancing around?

Honestly (your word) what true asylum seekers can afford to fly into the US and present themselves at customs and what asylum seeker leaving a country ravaged by poverty and 2 natural disasters travels across multiple countries in 100 degree weather and then lives under a bridge?
I did say that and I stand by it, so you can go pound sand with your feeble attempts to distort my comments. I support granting asylum to people seeking it under genuine conditions that meet the requirements and follow the due process, period. What has been going on at the southern border is plain and simple anarchy by masses of people who are trying to enter for reasons NOT allowed as a basis. If you can’t see that then you are neck deep into Biden’s southern border.

Dec 9, 2013
I did say that and I stand by it, so you can go pound sand with your feeble attempts to distort my comments. I support granting asylum to people seeking it under genuine conditions that meet the requirements and follow the due process, period. What has been going on at the southern border is plain and simple anarchy by masses of people who are trying to enter for reasons NOT allowed as a basis. If you can’t see that then you are neck deep into Biden’s southern border.
How do you know their basis for petitioning for asylum?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I haven't seen any overall economic impact data, but non-citizens access welfare programs at nearly twice the rate of regular citizens. Like I said before, I don't have any issues accepting refugees that are truly fleeing persecution, but I don't want to see people claim asylum simply as a way to avoid the immigration process.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/non-citizens-uninsured-welfare-census-data/
Non-Citizens Driving Up Welfare And Uninsured Rolls, Census Data Show
Recently, the Center for Immigration Studies poured through Census poverty and welfare data and found that a shockingly high percentage of noncitizens are getting some sort of welfare benefit from the federal government.

The report found, for example, that 45% of households headed by a noncitizen reported using food programs in 2014. That's the latest year for which such census data are available. That compares with 21% for U.S. citizens. Half of noncitizen households reported using Medicaid, compared with 23% for citizens.

The CIS analysis also found that 31% of noncitizen households got cash benefits, when you include the Earned Income Tax Credit. That compares with 10% for citizen-headed households.

Overall, 63% of noncitizen-headed households got some form of welfare benefit in 2014, compared with 35% for citizens.
You might want to look into “Center for Immigration Studies” and it’s founder John Tanton before vouching for or promoting those claims as accurate and unbiased.

Or you might not....I dunno.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
You might want to look into “Center for Immigration Studies” and it’s founder John Tanton before vouching for or promoting those claims as accurate and unbiased.

Or you might not....I dunno.
I don't know anything about the CIS, but I've seen their data used by bipartisan news outlets. Are you claiming their statistics are inaccurate? I thought it was a given fact that non-citizens accessed welfare at a higher rate than regular citizens due to the fact that they have a much higher rate of poverty.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I don't know anything about the CIS, but I've seen their data used by bipartisan news outlets. Are you claiming their statistics are inaccurate? I thought it was a given fact that non-citizens accessed welfare at a higher rate than regular citizens due to the fact that they have a much higher rate of poverty.
I said what I said.

If you want to not know anything about CIS and remain ignorant to their origins, that’s fine by me.

Yes, there is substantial reason to be suspicious of any claim by CIS. Their methodology and reports have been repeatedly criticized as false and misleading by many from both sides of the political aisle.

If it is a given fact that non-citizens accessed welfare at a higher rate than regular citizens, I'm sure you could find support from someone other than somebody who said, ""One of my prime concerns is about the decline of folks who look like you and me ... for European-American society and culture to persist requires a European-American majority, and a clear one at that" and is an advocate of eugenics and sterilization of "genetically undesirable" groups. I'm not saying it's NOT a given fact. I don't know for sure. I'm just saying if it IS a given fact, you might be better served in proving that without associating yourself with and using garbage data generated by garbage human beings.

That's all I'm saying.....

You do you, though.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
What do you consider to be genuine conditions? I'm really curious with this.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Honestly, yes. But to make it work as intended and effectively the ENTIRE border must be sealed and the existing federal immigration laws strictly enforced. It will hurt some, but help the rest in the long run and it’s served us pretty well this far. Also, that doesn’t mean those already here are automatically in. If you’re caught and discovered not to be going through the process to become legal citizens, bye bye. And let me be emphasize, the asylum process is a formal application process, not just “everyone currently at the border raise your hand and request immediate asylum”…no no no no
But in order to petition for asylum, a process you describe as formal and one you honestly support, you have to be IN the US. There are other ways to do that but one is to physically be in the US. And not everyone who applies get asylum. The majority are rejected and subject to deportation.
You can show up at a border entry point and ask for asylum. You don't have to illegally cross the border first.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I said what I said.

If you want to not know anything about CIS and remain ignorant to their origins, that’s fine by me.

Yes, there is substantial reason to be suspicious of any claim by CIS. Their methodology and reports have been repeatedly criticized as false and misleading by many from both sides of the political aisle.

If it is a given fact that non-citizens accessed welfare at a higher rate than regular citizens, I'm sure you could find support from someone other than somebody who said, ""One of my prime concerns is about the decline of folks who look like you and me ... for European-American society and culture to persist requires a European-American majority, and a clear one at that" and is an advocate of eugenics and sterilization of "genetically undesirable" groups. I'm not saying it's NOT a given fact. I don't know for sure. I'm just saying if it IS a given fact, you might be better served in proving that without associating yourself with and using garbage data generated by garbage human beings.

That's all I'm saying.....

You do you, though.
Here's a study from the Urban Institute. It should be noted that refugees that are granted asylum generally qualify for welfare benefits while undocumented immigrants generally do not. That's why you see such a wide variance in noncitizen statistics. The percentage of noncitizen households receiving welfare would be much higher if they only used households that qualified for welfare.

1632406617583.png

In all fairness, I don't know anything about the Urban Institute either, so you may take exception to them as well. But it's estimated 15.1% of native born citizens and 25.3% of noncitizens live below the poverty line. Basic logic would tell you that noncitizens households would access welfare at a higher level simply because of their income.

Despite the fact that refugees access welfare at a much higher rate, I'm not arguing against the process. We should grant asylum to anyone that proves they qualify for it. I just don't think we should be granting asylum to everyone reaching our southern border claiming to seek it. This would essentially give us open borders.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Once again, the SOUTHERN border, which Trump was well into completion of before Biden put a stop to it, like Keystone, but that’s for the Biden thread.
Well funny thing is the facts are that more than twice as many miles of border wall were erected during the Obama administration as compared to the Trump administration. Plus it looks like Biden is building more wall, he is just hiding it under a different name.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-p...ial&utm_campaign=BidenBorderWall&utm_content=

Mar 11, 2006
Well funny thing is the facts are that more than twice as many miles of border wall were erected during the Obama administration as compared to the Trump administration. Plus it looks like Biden is building more wall, he is just hiding it under a different name.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-p...ial&utm_campaign=BidenBorderWall&utm_content=
Is that true? According to USA Today and SBCC, Trump built nearly 400 miles and Obama built 128 miles.

Now, the article above uses a clarifier of "new" wall. Perhaps the 400 miles built under Trump was mostly reconstruction of current wall -- and Obama's was mostly new wall?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Is that true? According to USA Today and SBCC, Trump built nearly 400 miles and Obama built 128 miles.

Now, the article above uses a clarifier of "new" wall. Perhaps the 400 miles built under Trump was mostly reconstruction of current wall -- and Obama's was mostly new wall?
Honestly did not care enough to dig a lot deeper, so not sure...