Oklahoma to get 3rd highest number of afghan refugees

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 23, 2010
Definitely dubious when they do something like come to the border camp out under the bridge on the American side and then have babies and then make claims that they now should have citizenship. Apparently some of them are doing that. The old anchor baby argument.

Unrelated, but sad, there have been scenes of smugglers dropping off unaccompanied minors all over the place and leaving. One of them is a 5-year-old.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I was thinking more dubious in that you don't need asylum if you've been living in Brazil for the better part of a decade.

But yes, there are a number of problems with the current system, some more intractable than others.

Dec 9, 2013
Has Fox News been anti-Afghan immigration? If so, I’ve missed that. Seems many conservatives have been on leading edge publicly supporting. Including Gov Stitt who was very vocal last month (during his address at Tulsa Regional Chamber of Commerce address) supporting Afghans getting residence in Oklahoma.
I don’t know what foxnews has said about immigrants from Afghanistan but was simply trying to make a point about what was actually happening and how someone simply sees immigrant and immediately jumps to the dark side. And while I don’t always agree w Gov Stitt I am grateful for his leadership on this issue, grateful for the generosity of those supporting these immigrants and grateful for the immigrants themselves. I hope in 50 yrs Stillwater has a whole community of people w Afghan ancestry.

Oklahoma State has a facility (1 of 3 of its kind in the nation) that provides services, resources and community for immigrants and their families attending or affiliated with OSU. The Family Resource Center (FRC) is truly a jewel on our campus because of the people who work there and the people they serve.

Through the FRC I have met and have 1st hand accounts of some incredible people. One such person (a PhD student) was a volunteer who worked countless thankless hours on covid research that was on top of his PhD requirements. He volunteered when no other students would step up and stuck with it through 18 hour days.

Attitudes like Grandad exhibited above are wrong and need to be called out. Yes we are a nation of law. Yes we have borders and those have to be secure and laws have to be followed. But when you speak out like he did that shows you don’t understand those laws or respect those from other countries who make life better for him. It’s ignorant and borders on something else.

Oct 7, 2008
He was referencing the Afghan refugees.

If I lived in some crap hole country I'd want to get here too by any means.

We need to make it easier to do it legally and harder to do it illegally. We've done it the other way around and act surprised at the results.
There's also an economic benefit to legal immigration. A stagnating population is terrible for the economy. Just look at Japan's last several decades for evidence there.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
If they appreciated this country that much, they would also appreciate that we are a country with borders and laws, and respect those laws. Setting up camp at the border and essentially demanding acceptance (and even just flat out crossing over) is the wrong way to go about it. Therefore, sorry if I don't cry a puddle of tears if they don't get their phones and tablets.
I used to think you were just, what’s the polite way to put this, “special”. Now I’m starting to think you are a sock or a troll. Because you can’t be serious with some of this stuff. You just can’t.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I've got to disagree. Many of these people have helped us for the past 20 years. Now we're helping them by keeping them from being slaughtered by invading Taliban forces. I've got no problem welcoming someone into our country after they've helped us for decades. That's very different from what we're seeing at our southern border.
And as I conceded, I got the wrong group. You win, happy? Now if you'd like to take this discussion to a southern border debate, bring it on and bring the salve.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
And as I conceded, I got the wrong group. You win, happy? Now if you'd like to take this discussion to a southern border debate, bring it on and bring the salve.
I may have misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you had the wrong group, but you still believed that they shouldn't be allowed in our country.

I'm not sure we would disagree all that much on the southern border. I'm a big believer in legal immigration, but I don't like illegal immigration, and I don't think we should grant asylum to anyone and everyone that shows up at our border claiming to seek it.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
There's also an economic benefit to legal immigration. A stagnating population is terrible for the economy. Just look at Japan's last several decades for evidence there.
Look...if these people really wanted to be americans they should have been born here.
And the Bible is in English so if it's good enough for God it's good enough for the USA.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I may have misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you had the wrong group, but you still believed that they shouldn't be allowed in our country.

I'm not sure we would disagree all that much on the southern border. I'm a big believer in legal immigration, but I don't like illegal immigration, and I don't think we should grant asylum to anyone and everyone that shows up at our border claiming to seek it.
Yes I had the wrong group (i.e. the Afghans). That's on me and I'll own it. No I don't believe they should be restricted from entering our country. It's the fiasco at the southern border I have an issue with.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Yes I had the wrong group (i.e. the Afghans). That's on me and I'll own it. No I don't believe they should be restricted from entering our country. It's the fiasco at the southern border I have an issue with.
I’m confused. What’s going on at the Afghan southern border and why do you have an issue with it?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

But, do you feel we should follow our asylum laws regarding those people?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

You mean like being poor isn't a reason for asylum?

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Honestly, yes. But to make it work as intended and effectively the ENTIRE border must be sealed and the existing federal immigration laws strictly enforced. It will hurt some, but help the rest in the long run and it’s served us pretty well this far. Also, that doesn’t mean those already here are automatically in. If you’re caught and discovered not to be going through the process to become legal citizens, bye bye. And let me be emphasize, the asylum process is a formal application process, not just “everyone currently at the border raise your hand and request immediate asylum”…no no no no

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2013
Honestly, yes. But to make it work as intended and effectively the ENTIRE border must be sealed and the existing federal immigration laws strictly enforced. It will hurt some, but help the rest in the long run and it’s served us pretty well this far. Also, that doesn’t mean those already here are automatically in. If you’re caught and discovered not to be going through the process to become legal citizens, bye bye. And let me be emphasize, the asylum process is a formal application process, not just “everyone currently at the border raise your hand and request immediate asylum”…no no no no
But in order to petition for asylum, a process you describe as formal and one you honestly support, you have to be IN the US. There are other ways to do that but one is to physically be in the US. And not everyone who applies get asylum. The majority are rejected and subject to deportation.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
As already stated, it appears you need to look at our asylum laws. And, the idea that we could, or should, seal every border of the country is lunacy.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I support our asylum laws. We should grant asylum to anyone that can prove that they fear persecution in their home country over things like race and religion. The problem is that many people use this process as a way to get around our immigration system.

The Trump administration did something really smart. They reached agreements with several countries that required refugees to seek asylum in the first safe country they stepped foot in. Now, we can argue about which countries are actually "safe", but this policy stopped people from traveling through multiple countries to seek asylum here.

The Biden administration suspended these agreements. It wasn't surprising to see the border crisis worsen. It's my understanding that our southern border activity is at it's highest level in over 2 decades.