Oklahoma to get 3rd highest number of afghan refugees

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
From my experience with first generation immigrants, they appreciate this country far more than we do.
If they appreciated this country that much, they would also appreciate that we are a country with borders and laws, and respect those laws. Setting up camp at the border and essentially demanding acceptance (and even just flat out crossing over) is the wrong way to go about it. Therefore, sorry if I don't cry a puddle of tears if they don't get their phones and tablets.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
If they appreciated this country that much, they would also appreciate that we are a country with borders and laws, and respect those laws. Setting up camp at the border and essentially demanding acceptance (and even just flat out crossing over) is the wrong way to go about it. Therefore, sorry if I don't cry a puddle of tears if they don't get their phones and tablets.
1632328103344.png

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
From my experience with first generation immigrants, they appreciate this country far more than we do.
Are Afghans crossing the Rio Grande?

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It appears they understand our laws better than you do.

Oct 7, 2008
In all seriousness, you might want to try meeting and talking to someone who isn't from this country sometime and not just getting your opinion of immigrants from right wing media. It would probably open up your perspective a little bit.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
It appears they understand our laws better than you do.
Probably understand geography better too.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Mar 11, 2006
Wrong group, same belief. Happy?
You are conflating a legitimate beef with illegal immigration with legal immigration. Massive differences.

It makes sense to me that we accept some Afghans and provide them a pathway to citizenship in future, if they choose. We should have policies for legal immigration. Heck, my wife and I are both beneficiaries as both my dad and FIL were not born in US.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Wrong group, same belief. Happy?
I've got to disagree. Many of these people have helped us for the past 20 years. Now we're helping them by keeping them from being slaughtered by invading Taliban forces. I've got no problem welcoming someone into our country after they've helped us for decades. That's very different from what we're seeing at our southern border.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The majority of the people at the southern border are seeking to enter the country legally, even if their claim is dubious.
Definitely dubious when they do something like come to the border camp out under the bridge on the American side and then have babies and then make claims that they now should have citizenship. Apparently some of them are doing that. The old anchor baby argument.

Unrelated, but sad, there have been scenes of smugglers dropping off unaccompanied minors all over the place and leaving. One of them is a 5-year-old.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
He was referencing the Afghan refugees.

If I lived in some crap hole country I'd want to get here too by any means.

We need to make it easier to do it legally and harder to do it illegally. We've done it the other way around and act surprised at the results.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Definitely dubious when they do something like come to the border camp out under the bridge on the American side and then have babies and then make claims that they now should have citizenship. Apparently some of them are doing that. The old anchor baby argument.

Unrelated, but sad, there have been scenes of smugglers dropping off unaccompanied minors all over the place and leaving. One of them is a 5-year-old.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Those on the left who pat themselves on the back for their compassion fail to recognize they are enabling a system that results in child trafficking.