Oklahoma State University teaching assistant saying she will not teach Spanish...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I went through basic training with several degreed people who had been “promised” by a recruiter that when done with basic training that they would then go to OTS. The drill sergeants got a good laugh prior to starting yelling at us again. But, if you had a degree and language skills then probably would have been offered OTS.
Along those lines, I had an uncle (a veteran) telling me "once they get you, it doesn't matter what you signed. You're government property." That was part of my mistrust of anything they said.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The other thing, even traveling in non-tourist parts of Mexico, nearly every younger person speaks at least some English to me. I’ve been asking people how they learned. The older ones either learned from tourists or left the country a while. The young ones all learned it in school.

Why can Mexican schools teach passable English to the majority of kids while our language programs are an absolute joke?
You already know the answer.

Mar 11, 2006
The other thing, even traveling in non-tourist parts of Mexico, nearly every younger person speaks at least some English to me. I’ve been asking people how they learned. The older ones either learned from tourists or left the country a while. The young ones all learned it in school.

Why can Mexican schools teach passable English to the majority of kids while our language programs are an absolute joke?
I don’t regret many things I have done raising my daughters, but a big one for me was not insisting they learn Spanish. They both took three years of Chinese and one even went to China as an 8th grader, but they both stopped taking Chinese once it got more advanced. Yes, they can speak extremely elementary Chinese, but I wished I would have insisted on either becoming fluent in Chinese or learning Spanish.

Basically they followed my idiocy of middle school as I took one year of Spanish, French, and Latin in successive years. So I have the worthless skill of counting to ten and asking what time it is.

I am going to Greece in three weeks and my wife and I have been practicing important words/phrases. I think I already know more Greek than I remember Spanish or French. I regret not working to get fluent in another language.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I read the article and the quoted statement isn't confirmed by the author.

This is clickbait horsecrap. As a former newspaper writer; (Tulsa, World, Muskogee Daily Phoenix, Orange County Register, LA Times) It's completely disheartening how media standards have fallen so far.

I'm bummed I fell for it; It's even sadder that people in this thread are arguing over an article that clearly very few of you read, simply by the title of the headline.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I went through basic training with several degreed people who had been “promised” by a recruiter that when done with basic training that they would then go to OTS. The drill sergeants got a good laugh prior to starting yelling at us again. But, if you had a degree and language skills then probably would have been offered OTS.
The recruiter told me I could apply for warrant officer flight school after finishing basic and that he was sure that wouldn't be a problem. Lesson learned by a dumb naive kid....get it in writing before signing.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I took 2 years of Spanish in highschool and one semester in college. I got A's in the highschool class, dropped the college class because I was so lost. That highlights the difference between the two.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I read the article and the quoted statement isn't confirmed by the author.

This is clickbait horsecrap. As a former newspaper writer; (Tulsa, World, Muskogee Daily Phoenix, Orange County Register, LA Times) It's completely disheartening how media standards have fallen so far.

I'm bummed I fell for it; It's even sadder that people in this thread are arguing over an article that clearly very few of you read, simply by the title of the headline.
I read the entire article and just re read it. The paper quotes her as saying "I'm not going to teach Spanish" during a recorded event. Are you complaining that they didn't appear to have reached out to the quoted assistant?

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I read the entire article and just re read it. The paper quotes her as saying "I'm not going to teach Spanish" during a recorded event. Are you complaining that they didn't appear to have reached out to the quoted assistant?
Yes. A journalist is taught to verify the statement; reach out to the person in the question to get the full context of the incident and report the entire story. The article openly stated they were assuming the identity from a LinkedIn profile.

This is the definition of horsecrap clickbait journalism.

This is like autotune for singers.

Aug 16, 2012
Yes. A journalist is taught to verify the statement; reach out to the person in the question to get the full context of the incident and report the entire story. The article openly stated they were assuming the identity from a LinkedIn profile.

This is the definition of horsecrap clickbait journalism.

This is like autotune for singers.
Funny how flash-bang journalism is OK on this site to promote a particular ideology of whatever ilk and is in fact the bread and butter of a couple posters, but whenever it does not fit one's agenda, it is only then a problem. It is 2021 and as a journalism expert, you should be well aware by now how the game is played. Stories hit the wire every hour, probably every minute, that do not have any details or verification but someone found it sufficient to publish. World we live in now.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Funny how flash-bang journalism is OK on this site to promote a particular ideology of whatever ilk and is in fact the bread and butter of a couple posters, but whenever it does not fit one's agenda, it is only then a problem. It is 2021 and as a journalism expert, you should be well aware by now how the game is played. Stories hit the wire every hour, probably every minute, that do not have any details or verification but someone found it sufficient to publish. World we live in now.
I'm aware what journalism has turned into. Part of the reason I left the industry.

I'm amazed that there are people going all in (either way) on this story when a small amount of research would show you that someone on this board probably knows the TA and get to the answer. Instead it turns into a flame war because psychopaths on either side are terrified of getting their feelings hurt by being wrong about their presumptions.