Oklahoma State University hosts "Drag Queen Story Hour" for 2-year-olds

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Hmmmm. And yet (by your moniker) you believe in a "science" which has few or no empirical elements or constants? (imho) You're a person of faith and don't know it. You've simply chosen a different narrative to support. Faith being believing in the unbelievable/unprovable and psychology exists largely in that realm. The definable observed "cure rate" of both the subjects in question tells the story. Interesting.
Wait. Are you saying psychiatry isn't a science?

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Hmmmm. And yet (by your moniker) you believe in a "science" which has few or no empirical elements or constants?
You realize that psychopathology is specific, measurable, repeatable, and predictable, right? Just because we don't understand it all doesn't mean that there are not specific, measurable, repeatable, and predictable psychopathological changes. These include behavioral, neurobiochemical, and structural/functional changes.

You sound like that bullshit "nouthetic counseling" that denies the existence of psychopathology and states that people with major depression, for instance, just need to "pray through".

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
You sound like that bullshit "nouthetic counseling" that denies the existence of psychopathology and states that people with major depression, for instance, just need to "pray through".
And you sound like a predictable bullshit know it all who couldn't comprehend my comments. Sober up or have your shrink increase your meds. Only an idiot thinks one could "pray through" depression. You may be the perfect evidence of such.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Wait. Are you saying psychiatry isn't a science?
Not at all. I was addressing Psychology and the lack of empirical evidence in opinions derived from it which doesn't prevent one from believing it's postulations, and relating it to choosing not to believe in the postulations of Christian scripture which suffers the same lack of empirical evidence.

Psychiatry is definitely science and a different subject altogether.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Not at all. I was addressing Psychology and the lack of empirical evidence in opinions derived from it which doesn't prevent one from believing it's postulations, and relating it to choosing not to believe in the postulations of Christian scripture which suffers the same lack of empirical evidence.

I could roll with all of this until we get here. Psychiatry uses psychological science constantly. It's the primary way they evaluate their treatment efficacy and diagnostic validity. Most of the leaders in the fields of psychopathology, whether experimental or descriptive, are psychologists, not psychiatrists. Plus, most neuroscientists are psychologists. There are for sure limitations to any behavioral, cognitive, or affective science, but you can't say psychology essentially can't be a science, but say psychiatry is one.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
I could roll with all of this until we get here. Psychiatry uses psychological science constantly. It's the primary way they evaluate their treatment efficacy and diagnostic validity. Most of the leaders in the fields of psychopathology, whether experimental or descriptive, are psychologists, not psychiatrists. Plus, most neuroscientists are psychologists. There are for sure limitations to any behavioral, cognitive, or affective science, but you can't say psychology essentially can't be a science, but say psychiatry is one.
Talk about striking a nerve. You are putting words in my mouth I never spoke. I never once said Psychology wasn't science. The word "empirical" was the key to my statement and has been conveniently ignored to the point of distraction. I suppose I could rave on about the different educational requirements for psychologists vs MD's and DO''s but that would simply be another rabbit hole that was never intended. I explained my original point in my response to cowboyinexile. I had no idea it was so difficult to grasp. Mea culpa if such a simple concept has caused so much angst.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Talk about striking a nerve. You are putting words in my mouth I never spoke. I never once said Psychology wasn't science. The word "empirical" was the key to my statement and has been conveniently ignored to the point of distraction. I suppose I could rave on about the different educational requirements for psychologists vs MD's and DO''s but that would simply be another rabbit hole that was never intended. I explained my original point in my response to cowboyinexile. I had no idea it was so difficult to grasp. Mea culpa if such a simple concept has caused so much angst.
"Psychiatry is definitely science and a different subject altogether."

I mean, if that's not your implication....

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

You know inferential statistics was basically invented by psychology, so that they could tell whether or not the empirical evidence was due to random chance. You know that, right?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
You said:
And you sound like a predictable bullshit know it all who couldn't comprehend my comments. Sober up or have your shrink increase your meds. Only an idiot thinks one could "pray through" depression. You may be the perfect evidence of such.
And then you said:

I think I understood your comments pretty damn well. Your denial that they meant what they meant is made a lie by your second comment here which just plain states your position. Stop gaslighting.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
You said:

And then you said:

I think I understood your comments pretty damn well. Your denial that they meant what they meant is made a lie by your second comment here which just plain states your position. Stop gaslighting.
You understood zilch and formulated the opinion best suited to fit whatever tangent you felt like going off on. U really should avail yourself of some of the mental health services to help with your narcissistic personality disorder. (god complex) You're not that all knowing.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
You said:

And then you said:

With your inflated ego you think you understand everything despite much evidence to the contrary. I've read and studied the writings of great minds in the field like Lawrence Kohlberg, Bruber, James Fowler, Clair Graves, Ken Wilber, Abraham Maslow etc, etc, etc. I'm no neophyte on the subject. and you're no godsend.

Frankly, in your latest incarnation of life you've become a boring, one trick pony, wannabe bully. It doesn't serve you well and damn sure doesn't intimidate me.

Last edited:

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So did it happen? Any pics?

Did they get the next generation a well rounded education about LGBTQ+ issues and gender identity issues?

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
i know we’re all emotionally invested in this; because FoxNews and culture wars and all that; but did anyone actually go to this?

It seemed like a voluntary event. It seems stupid, but I also think Volkswagen beetles are stupid; but should be allowed. The world is a big place and people like different things.

It’s interesting how many OKLAHOMA STATE FANS LIVING IN OKLAHOMA are tone deaf to people that don’t share a view shared by the majority of people.

I think saving your rage up for worthy causes is a good idea.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
With your inflated ego you think you understand everything despite much evidence to the contrary. I've read and studied the writings of great minds in the field like Lawrence Kohlberg, Bruber, James Fowler, Clair Graves, Ken Wilber, Abraham Maslow etc, etc, etc. I'm no neophyte on the subject. and you're no godsend.

Frankly, in your latest incarnation of life you've become a boring, one trick pony, wannabe bully. It doesn't serve you well and damn sure doesn't intimidate me.
You must've missed Dunning-Kruger in your readings.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6

Humans are small and insignificant, we spin on a tiny blue and green ball speeding around a sun in a complex and unknowable universe, yet we think we can write off the possibilities that we assume, in our vast knowledge, are wrong....this applies to both science and faith. But in this thread it's fairly evident that we think we are smart enough that we can write off one or the other.

Point being, I have faith based on my lifelong experiences, the experiences of others I've observed, the grace that I've seen in numerous lives, the healing I've seen and experienced, and the fact that I think the Christian faith is the binding vine of civilization and the opportunity to access forgiveness, redemption, and grace for all...Granted the bastardization of it by evil people is less than helpful..

I've also seen science do great things, and I have "faith" in it, including vaccines and med's to cure our various illnesses on our journey to death. It's given us cars, airplanes, computers, the wheel, fire and a AC, the weapons of war and peace. Granted, the bastardization of it by evil people is less than helpful...

It's more than ok, and, in fact reasonable, to trust in both. However, I do find more comfort in my faith than in science...this comes from the book quoted above, it's promises, and overwhelming experiences that I cannot explain away with science...I'm counting on that evidence way more than I'm counting on science and it's evidence.

Just some random thoughts to hopefully add to the thread.