Oklahoma State Baseball VS Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I agree with almost all of your post, especially our approach at the plate.

However I think that's a recruiting issue more than anything.

We recruit big talented dudes that hit balls over the Hitting Eye.

Even Huey and Trenkle, our supposed table setters, are guys that came to OSU with lift in their swing

There's some trade off to that, and that trade off is strike outs.

At least we are trying to play offense to the style of offensive player we are recruiting.

But....Last weekend at TCU was on the pitching and specifically pitch calling and use of the bullpen.

The first two innings yesterday were on pitch calling.

It started the whole series off in an unsettled, scared type of tone.

We have injury after injury after injury, year after year after year it seems like to our staff.

Every year we hear about how loaded our pitching staff is, then, every year, all but a couple of our pitchers lose their confidence and don't perform to their capabilities.

Our bullpen ends up a mess every year, and many years we dont even know who our #2 starter is.

This is a year where we got everyone back because of Covid-19, and we still don't know who the first guy out of the pen is.

We recruit the same type of pitcher as we do hitter.

Big, Strong, over powering guys.

But, unlike on the offensive side, once we get them to campus we force them to pitch away from theur strengths and become spot up, crafty type guys and that's not what just all of them do well.

I don't have a problem with pitching like that, but if that is the way you're going to want your pitchers to pitch, then recruit to it.

Don't recruit guys that throw 96, then force them to pitch like they throw 86, then, all if the sudden they have lost their confidence or are getting operated on.

Thats my biggest beef with Rob, and I think, year after year, it has created an unsettled lack of confidence in our clubs.

Like making baskets in basketball, pitching has to cover up your other areas of weaknesses on your team.

It has to be the catalyst that gives you courage everyday.

Instead, it's one of the biggest clusters on the team every year.
I can't argue with any of that.....

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Now we need to feast on the bottom of the league. Next up we have Ou Friday at home sat and sun in Norman. Have to take that series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Big time performance by Standlee, much needed win. Still too many empty appearances at the plate to win consistently, but the three HRs masked that today.

Hopefully Scott and Wrobleski can come back soon.
I’m hoping that because of the lack of a Tuesday game they decided to be overly cautious since everyone would be available

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
After looking back on the weekend, the Pokes didn't play too badly. Losing two of three to Texas (the hottest team in the country) in a close series is nothing to be ashamed of. There weren't many errors, the pitching was pretty good considering our 1st and 3rd guys were out. The bats could have been a little better, but Texas can pitch. Each team controlled one game, and there was a one run game that came down a fair or foul home run. It was two good teams playing good college baseball.

The problem comes from the previous weekend when you get swept and could have won all three games if not for your own mistakes. It definitely changed the perspective of the overall season and this weekend.

We are 3-9 against Vandy, TTU, TCU, and UT. That's not good. BUT, that kind of difficulty is in the rearview mirror until the postseason and there's the chance to string together some Ws and get a lot more confident before that happens.

Last edited:

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
After looking back on the weekend, the Pokes didn't play too badly. Losing two of three to Texas (the hottest team in the country) in a close series is nothing to be ashamed of. There weren't many errors, the pitching was pretty good considering our 1st and 3rd guys were out. The bats could have been a little better, but Texas can pitch. Each team controlled one game, and there was a one run game that came down a fair or foul home run.

The problem comes from the previous weekend when you get swept and could have won all three games if not for your own mistakes. It definitely changed the perspective of the overall season and this weekend.

We are 3-9 against Vandy, TTU, TCU, and UT. That's not good. BUT, that kind of difficulty is in the rearview mirror until the postseason and there's the chance to string together some Ws and get a lot more confident before that happens.
Great take