Oklahoma moving to Cashless Toll System, Some former cash rates increasing by 75% starting July 25th

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
US
An aunt of mine, who worked the toll her entire working life, was 2-years away from retirement, yet she now must find a new career because she no longer is qualified to retire at the place she's worked her entire life. She didn't even receive a phone call. She received an email, basically saying to hit the road, no pun intended. Technology has destroyed so many jobs. It's sad, especially for the people who are (were) on the verge of retirement, who must now find a new career/job/income. That's difficult to do for anyone, especially when you're in your 60's.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
There's just not as many holdouts that still pay cash. Not enough to justify the lower price for pass customers any longer. Basically the holdouts will do one of three things. Either they will continue to be holdouts and not get a pass, they'll get a pass, or they'll stop using the toll roads altogether. No matter what it all means the same thing less money coming in to the coffers so they need to raise the rates for the pikepass customers to compensate.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Reading the comments section on the articles about this are unbearable. There's a crap load of people bitching who apparently don't have a clue how the turnpike is funded... They also don't know the difference between a ticket/fine and a bill...

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I am just glad they do not pay attention to the time it takes to get from gantry to gantry. R=D/T could ring up a ton of speeding tickets complete with video evidence.
Or follow cell site data. Or apps like 360. I like finding a desolate stretch of a road to set off the alarms on all my families apps. On the other hand, you don’t want to chase off your customers.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I am just glad they do not pay attention to the time it takes to get from gantry to gantry. R=D/T could ring up a ton of speeding tickets complete with video evidence.
I can't verify this, but my dad told us many times that when they built the original Kansas Turnpike (I think it was Topeka to KCK) they could write you a speeding ticket at either end if your average speed exceeded the speed limit, based on your time-stamped receipt.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I can't verify this, but my dad told us many times that when they built the original Kansas Turnpike (I think it was Topeka to KCK) they could write you a speeding ticket at either end if your average speed exceeded the speed limit, based on your time-stamped receipt.
I’ll ask my father in law. He was a state trooper in Kansas assigned to the turnpike

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
My two oldest brothers have talked about when there was no posted speed limit on the Kansas Turpike. The speed limit signs said, "Safe and Reasonable"

Edit: They both would have memories of it going back to the mid to early 50's.

Aug 16, 2012
I drive DNT just about every day and from my observations over the past 11 years, they could write $100,000 in speeding tickets every day using gantry data. Have been told that only state troopers are authorized to write tickets on Texas toll roads so if true, TDPS would have to implement the systems, not individual cities. The uproar over gantry data speeding tickets would make people forget all about red light cameras. Which...a) I have not seen one in DFW for years and, b) my guess is the same legal arguments made to get rid of the cameras would probably work for tollway speeding as well.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
My biggest problem with pike pass is the paying in advance. I put $40 into my account up front, then when it drops below a certain amount ($10 I think, can't remember), they start sending emails to replenish my account. Must be nice to be able to charge your customers in advance like that. I'm paying for something that I might not even use for a year or more, but it's just too inconvenient not to do it.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
My biggest problem with pike pass is the paying in advance. I put $40 into my account up front, then when it drops below a certain amount ($10 I think, can't remember), they start sending emails to replenish my account. Must be nice to be able to charge your customers in advance like that. I'm paying for something that I might not even use for a year or more, but it's just too inconvenient not to do it.
Better hope the retail industry doesn't catch wind of this. They might start selling people cards that they can put money on that can only be used at that store until they decide they want to buy something...

;) I personally have mine set to auto-refill. When it hits $10 it reloads it to $40. I use the turnpike nearly every day though so the convenience is worth it. And by "use it" I mean from the NW corner of the metro to either I-40 or I-235 (each way is the same distance for me), to and from work.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Better hope the retail industry doesn't catch wind of this. They might start selling people cards that they can put money on that can only be used at that store until they decide they want to buy something...

;) I personally have mine set to auto-refill. When it hits $10 it reloads it to $40. I use the turnpike nearly every day though so the convenience is worth it. And by "use it" I mean from the NW corner of the metro to either I-40 or I-235 (each way is the same distance for me), to and from work.
I have the Texas Toll Tag and it auto refills. I never even notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro