OK State proves it's better fit for SEC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I'm not so sure it's going to burst anytime soon. I'd expect the streaming giants are about to step in and throw even bigger money around.
That's a likely scenario and I hope whoever is the new B12 commish really focuses on that.

I do think there is a limit to how rich the SEC/B10 can get without the other 60% of the country. If they truly separate into their own playoff structure, the interest level in their teams is going to plummet overall. Fans really only care about (watch) what affects their favorite team, and there's nowhere that is more true than college sports.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
And most of the conference will still be glorified MAC.
I hate to tell you this, but most of the country will view the Big 12 in a similar light after OU & Texas leave. We could change that if we started winning national championships, but none of the remaining teams have even made the playoffs. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Aug 27, 2021
Tulsa
Get to the playoffs Win games.

At that point, maybe ESPN puts up enough money for the SEC to bring in OSU, but there would have to be a partner school keep it even.

Mizzou was invited to even out A&M and due to its AAU membership. They do not fit in the SEC, but contraction isn’t an option.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
What if the ACC, nBigXII, and PAC-12 join forces? Perhaps we would be able to compete with the B1G and SEC.
It's tough to say for sure. Giving the TV networks quality non-conference football games would help, but what they really want are football bluebloods that will bring lots of viewers every weekend. I would love to steal Clemson and Florida State from the ACC, but they're locked into their TV contract for over a decade.

It would also help if the streaming companies like Amazon and Netflix decided to get involved with collegiate athletics. That would make the bids more competitive.

Everything is fluid. I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen. We need to do the best we can to position ourselves to be at the highest level of competition whenever the dust settles though.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

At that point, maybe ESPN puts up enough money for the SEC to bring in OSU
The tough part is that we HAVE won games. In the Gundy era, at a clip behind only a couple of SEC teams. That doesn't make our fanbase markedly bigger or OSU in the same national narrative as the second tier SEC teams. Gundy's statement after the Fiesta Bowl win was exactly what needs to happen and was more than a little strategic. We have a logo. We really need to market this program nationally.

Aug 27, 2021
Tulsa

At that point, maybe ESPN puts up enough money for the SEC to bring in OSU
The tough part is that we HAVE won games. In the Gundy era, at a clip behind only a couple of SEC teams. That doesn't make our fanbase markedly bigger or OSU in the same national narrative as the second tier SEC teams. Gundy's statement after the Fiesta Bowl win was exactly what needs to happen and was more than a little strategic. We have a logo. We really need to market this program nationally.
10-win seasons and bowl game wins just don’t have the same impact as playoff wins.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
10-win seasons and bowl game wins just don’t have the same impact as playoff wins.
And conference championships. The next 5 years for OSU football are huge. Need to breakthrough at least once, IMO. The good thing is Gundy gets it, I haven't always thought that, but you can tell he's not satisfied with 9-10 win seasons.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
And conference championships. The next 5 years for OSU football are huge. Need to breakthrough at least once, IMO. The good thing is Gundy gets it, I haven't always thought that, but you can tell he's not satisfied with 9-10 win seasons.
I truly believe what you’re seeing is more of a result in leadership change than him not being satisfied with those type seasons.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
It all comes down to TV numbers. OSU's TV numbers are the best of the remaining teams in the Big 12. Our ratings last year would've ranked 2nd in the Pac 12 behind only USC, and 3rd in the ACC behind only Clemson & Florida State. Winning games consistently has made us a valued commodity on the free market.

The question now is whether or not the other conferences will decide to expand before we get locked into another TV deal. If I were the administration at OSU, I would be very careful to exhaust all of our options before signing away our TV rights to a conference what would distribute significantly less revenue than others.

Last edited: