Ohio State Raiding Gundy’s Staff

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Yeah, not a fan of Days since I’m convinced he lied to Yurcich about his role with the tOSU offense. Regardless, there’s still a right way and wrong way to go about your business as a HC. And IMO you can achieve your desired goal by doing things the right way. ie not raiding other staffs before the end of the season, courtesy calls, respecting your former employer, etc…

I just believe the first step in gaining respect is showing respect. And the first step in losing respect is showing lack of respect. Especially when you’re in a highly scrutinized and very public people business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need more coaches like Bill Snyder
That would be good.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I've heard Gundy say he was grooming Koy so he was highly valued.

That said, there has to be lots of former players looking to get into coaching via GA role.
Now the bad thing is that these 3 knew Knowles system and could have been helpful in transition to new DC (who we all hope keeps the Knowles system just like we keep the Gundy system on offense).

Jun 20, 2013
If I had my Druthers, I'd much rather see all of our position coaches remain here and loyal to our program, and let the GA's go somewhere. Here's hoping this is the only movement we see on our staff. GA's bounce around a lot.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

That said, there has to be lots of former players looking to get into coaching via GA role.
Now the bad thing is that these 3 knew Knowles system and could have been helpful in transition to new DC (who we all hope keeps the Knowles system just like we keep the Gundy system on offense).
I don't think there was anything amazing about the "Knowles System". His success has primarily resulted from the combination of scheme, experienced play makers, his ability to read/adjust to the opponent mid-game, and his knack for knowing when to dial up pressure versus playing coverage in the heat of the moment. Two of those things are unique to him. That's why he just got hired by one of the top programs in the country. We can't just plug and play someone else and think they can do the things that Knowles did.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You know it’s a slow time when we are talking GA turnover. They are basically just stat keepers and making sure players are going to class, etc. Isn’t the typical GA only around 1-2 years? I’ve never even heard of any of these guys.
Exactly my thought when I read this. I mean they're glorified gophers and errand boys. It's like a paid internship basically. They are student coaches, instead of student athletes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

poke

Wrangler
Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Guys... these are GA’s. It’s going to be okay. Have faith in the stability we have with HCMG. Coordinators leave all the time, if coordinators are getting promotions every few years, that means that Gundy is making the right hires and the team is having success. These guys obviously value getting to learn from one of the best defensive coaches in the game, so of course they are going to follow him if given the opportunity. Also doesn’t exactly hurt them they get to coach at Ohio State, very few people can say they have coached at a blue blood like that. Gundy has been arguably one of the best coaches in the game at hiring successful coordinators and filling his staff with excellent coaches and people. He will do it once again.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Besides. None of these are the defensive genius girl that's here. She's pretty good and called plays in the spring game last year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I don't think there was anything amazing about the "Knowles System". His success has primarily resulted from the combination of scheme, experienced play makers, his ability to read/adjust to the opponent mid-game, and his knack for knowing when to dial up pressure versus playing coverage in the heat of the moment. Two of those things are unique to him. That's why he just got hired by one of the top programs in the country. We can't just plug and play someone else and think they can do the things that Knowles did.
Keep hearing its “complicated” and takes a while for the players to grasp.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Mike also has said we need more money to pay coaches and this is showing that. These guys are making lateral moves as far as titles go but will probably be doubling their salaries based on what tOSU normally pays those positions.
But they have to live on Ohio…

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We did in 2011 on offense…why not defense?? It’s a pessimistic viewpoint to think we cannot get this done and even improve upon it. Not saying we will, but we certainly can…

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We did in 2011 on offense…why not defense?? It’s a pessimistic viewpoint to think we cannot get this done and even improve upon it. Not saying we will, but we certainly can…
It's not pessimistic to point out what Knowles brought to the table, and acknowledge that it will be difficult to replicate. It's just reality when you lose really good personnel. If we bring back the entire defense and hire a solid NFL defensive guy that can be taught the scheme by a returning player, then it would be similar. We might be able to do it with the right hire.

Jan 14, 2006
If McFarland leaves, Shane Eachus would be a good add at LB coach if we promote from within. He was in Koy's spot before Koy.

Currently the DC at Houston Baptist. I'd think LB coach at OSU would be a better job.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It's not pessimistic to point out what Knowles brought to the table, and acknowledge that it will be difficult to replicate. It's just reality when you lose really good personnel. If we bring back the entire defense and hire a solid NFL defensive guy that can be taught the scheme by a returning player, then it would be similar. We might be able to do it with the right hire.
He’s been making the same stupid argument about the next guy always being as good as the guy he replaced since Knowles left, despite years upon years of demonstrable evidence that factually say otherwise.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He’s been making the same stupid argument about the next guy always being as good as the guy he replaced since Knowles left, despite years upon years of demonstrable evidence that factually say otherwise.

I never said "always" I said we have done it and gave examples...I remember the summer of 2010 when everyone was so freaking upset that we lost Holgy...and replaced him with a guy who had never coached that offense. I think 2022 is the closest thing we have to a 2010/11 situation. Answer me this, smart guy, how did losing that OC turn out?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
At the time did anyone think Monken was the right hire...when Weeden was teaching him the offense? My point is the same as yours...the right guy can be found...I just prefer not to wallow but to move on...while some, not saying you, like to wallow a bit in their supposed thoughts before moving on.

Sep 29, 2005
NW OKC
www.thomasandcathy.blogspot.com
I think in the moment, the loss of Knowles can be considered a setback, but let's remember our fan base at one point or another thought Bill Clay, Bill Young, and Glen Spencer were great DCs. Other than the past few years, what kind of defenses did Knowles have at all of his other coaching stops? I think he's legit at what he does, I just don't think in the grand scheme of OSU football his departure is going to what we are hyping it to be.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Guys... these are GA’s. It’s going to be okay. Have faith in the stability we have with HCMG. Coordinators leave all the time, if coordinators are getting promotions every few years, that means that Gundy is making the right hires and the team is having success. These guys obviously value getting to learn from one of the best defensive coaches in the game, so of course they are going to follow him if given the opportunity. Also doesn’t exactly hurt them they get to coach at Ohio State, very few people can say they have coached at a blue blood like that. Gundy has been arguably one of the best coaches in the game at hiring successful coordinators and filling his staff with excellent coaches and people. He will do it once again.
Also, Gundy is all for guys getting experience at other schools. I wish them well and maybe one day they will be back on staff.