Ohio State Raiding Gundy’s Staff

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
We just lost 3 defensive GAs to Ohio State. Joy McFarland, Brent Zdebski and Michael Hunter. Apparently, all lateral moves without so much as a call to Gundy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that unusual with a coordinator leaving? Seems like some GAs following makes sense. Who knows if they’d have a job with the new DC?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We just lost 3 defensive GAs to Ohio State. Joy McFarland, Brent Zdebski and Michael Hunter. Apparently, all lateral moves without so much as a call to Gundy.

Is that unusual with a coordinator leaving? Seems like some GAs following makes sense. Who knows if they’d have a job with the new DC?
I understand lateral moves are a little unusual. No courtesy call to Gundy is punkish.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Mike also has said we need more money to pay coaches and this is showing that. These guys are making lateral moves as far as titles go but will probably be doubling their salaries based on what tOSU normally pays those positions.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Mike also has said we need more money to pay coaches and this is showing that. These guys are making lateral moves as far as titles go but will probably be doubling their salaries based on what tOSU normally pays those positions.
I understand his point, but he can't realistically expect Oklahoma State to compete with Ohio State in football budget, and neither can our fans at this point. They're like a Top 5 spending program. We're usually in the 30's.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Remember Mike piping off about Day? Something about third base. Maybe sometime he should just not talk so much.
You say that like his comment came back and bit him in the a$$. I seriously doubt Day is on a revenge tour. Besides, it’s not necessarily a bad thing that the world gets reminded Day is a pr!ck.

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
We just lost 3 defensive GAs to Ohio State. Koy McFarland, Brent Zdebski and Michael Hunter. Apparently, all lateral moves without so much as a call to Gundy.

I wonder what kind of bench strength and networking we have done to not only quickly backfill those positions but upgrade them? That will be interesting to watch.

As it relates to Day, I'm getting the impression (sarcasm included) that you don't care for him or his actions. I get it. It would seem to me a major inflection point has occurred (conf realignment, Portal, NIL, etc...) where some of the traditional ways to doing things are out and it's becoming more of a every person for themselves environment.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I wonder what kind of bench strength and networking we have done to not only quickly backfill those positions but upgrade them? That will be interesting to watch.

As it relates to Day, I'm getting the impression (sarcasm included) that you don't care for him or his actions. I get it. It would seem to me a major inflection point has occurred (conf realignment, Portal, NIL, etc...) where some of the traditional ways to doing things are out and it's becoming more of a every person for themselves environment.
Malcolm Rodriguez looking for a job? :)

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
No I don’t expect to be able to match their salary totals but I also don’t think we should be paying HALF as much as they are either.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We just lost 3 defensive GAs to Ohio State. Koy McFarland, Brent Zdebski and Michael Hunter. Apparently, all lateral moves without so much as a call to Gundy.

Yeah, not a fan of Days since I’m convinced he lied to Yurcich about his role with the tOSU offense. Regardless, there’s still a right way and wrong way to go about your business as a HC. And IMO you can achieve your desired goal by doing things the right way. ie not raiding other staffs before the end of the season, courtesy calls, respecting your former employer, etc…

I just believe the first step in gaining respect is showing respect. And the first step in losing respect is showing lack of respect. Especially when you’re in a highly scrutinized and very public people business.

Nov 18, 2011
You know it’s a slow time when we are talking GA turnover. They are basically just stat keepers and making sure players are going to class, etc. Isn’t the typical GA only around 1-2 years? I’ve never even heard of any of these guys.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
You know it’s a slow time when we are talking GA turnover. They are basically just stat keepers and making sure players are going to class, etc. Isn’t the typical GA only around 1-2 years? I’ve never even heard of any of these guys.
McFarland coached the linebackers, Hunter (former Cowboy DB) helped coaching the DBs.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Yeah, not a fan of Days since I’m convinced he lied to Yurcich about his role with the tOSU offense. Regardless, there’s still a right way and wrong way to go about your business as a HC. And IMO you can achieve your desired goal by doing things the right way. ie not raiding other staffs before the end of the season, courtesy calls, respecting your former employer, etc…

I just believe the first step in gaining respect is showing respect. And the first step in losing respect is showing lack of respect. Especially when you’re in a highly scrutinized and very public people business.

We need more coaches like Bill Snyder