OGBAH TO THE KC CHIEFS!!!!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 1, 2011
tx
The listing of money made by OSU grads, shows him in first place. I guess you have to assume his decision to represent himself has paid off. Glad he has gone to a better environment.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I have always been a Raiders fan (became interested int he game during the Kenny Stabler era). Lately I have become more interested in regional football, but I will be damned if I ever root for the Dallas Cowboys. That leaves KC by default.

Glad to see the Chiefs filling their roster with regional players.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have always been a Raiders fan (became interested int he game during the Kenny Stabler era). Lately I have become more interested in regional football, but I will be damned if I ever root for the Dallas Cowboys. That leaves KC by default.

Glad to see the Chiefs filling their roster with regional players.
You realize that the Chiefs and Raiders are blood rivals, right?

ST2

Cowboy
Jul 9, 2012
The listing of money made by OSU grads, shows him in first place. I guess you have to assume his decision to represent himself has paid off. Glad he has gone to a better environment.
I saw this list the other day and was surprised that Leslie O'Neal didn't make the list? I realize that he played in the pre-"ridiculous money" era, but he was a superstar for a decade or better. I couldn't find his career earnings out there anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone knew where he came in on the list, or if he was just overlooked?

Not trying to send this thread off on too much of a tangent....

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
He has certainly done OK representing himself - but part of the reason he is in first is the inflation of football (and pro sports in general) salaries over time. Amazing that the first million dollar contract for a pro player was Nolan Ryan signing with the Astros in 1980 for 4 years at a million per year (I am a long time Astros fan and know such things). You can be a part time player today and make a million a year.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
As late as the 1960's most all NFL players had off season full-time jobs that would be their career when they stopped playing football. Most didn't do any significant off-season training. Many great college football players (and at least one Heisman winner) opted not to play pro football at all. Times and salaries have changed. But all things pass away; it seems our country's love affair with football is waning at least a little.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
But all things pass away; it seems our country's love affair with football is waning at least a little.
Interested to what would make you have that take? Ratings would suggest otherwise. NFL itself was up 8% over prior year. In fact, the NFL produced 46 of the top 50 telecasts from September to December of last year.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Interested to what would make you have that take? Ratings would suggest otherwise. NFL itself was up 8% over prior year. In fact, the NFL produced 46 of the top 50 telecasts from September to December of last year.
First I was talking football in general versus NFL; but there are some signs of slipping in the NFL:

- NFL game attendance was down again last year (not by much, but down) and has been in a slight downtrend since 2010.
- Even though they are top rated versus other programing, overall NFL TV viewer numbers have been down quite a bit. Haven't seen 2018 yet.

Links:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193420/regular-season-attendance-in-the-nfl-since-2006/

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-ratings-faced-steeper-declines-in-2017-2018-1Viewership

I know both Texas and Oklahoma high school football attendance is way down versus past years to the point that budget cuts to athletics will have to be made. Also NCAA football has an attendance and (possibly) declining TV viewership problem as well (with all of the new networks and streaming it's a little hard to tell about college tv numbers):

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2018/10/17/the-growing-problem-of-college-football-attendance/

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus

Very funny that the analyst who wrote the SI article about college viewership cited too much SEC, SEC, SEC as part of the problem.

Last edited:

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Whomever or whatever thought pimping the SEC as the god king, be-all end-all of all that is and all that will ever be made a serious miscalculation.