Official Game Thread: Tulsa vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Bear with me here for a second while I do some speculating. What if, the QB that we need out there will not be put on the field, because Gundy knows the moment that quarterback makes one mistake he will face criticism of people yelling favoritism?
What if ultimately, Gunnar is the better QB out there right now but Gundy won't put him in for fear that he'll make a mistake.

I could see this from a parents perspective.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
No, he's not

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I watched the 1987 OSU-Tulsa game this morning with TJ Rubley, Dennis Byrd, etc. TU was good that year. Holy crap, Barry was a Junior and already you could see lightning in a bottle every time he touched the ball. Ran the opening kick back and had several jaw dropping runs. Gundy played great in that game and had a highlight reel pass to Mitch Nash for a TD. That offense was incredible. Thurman was incredible. The defense just average. We outscored em’ 39-28

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Bear with me here for a second while I do some speculating. What if, the QB that we need out there will not be put on the field, because Gundy knows the moment that quarterback makes one mistake he will face criticism of people yelling favoritism?
What if ultimately, Gunnar is the better QB out there right now but Gundy won't put him in for fear that he'll make a mistake.

I could see this from a parents perspective.

No, he's not
I'll say again. Just speculation.

Oct 30, 2007
Let me first say that as poorly that we have played on offense I am delighted that we are 2-0. We could just as easily be 0-2. There were a couple of mistakes from the TU game that I have not heard anyone bring up.

1.) Poor game management as 2x we tried to sub on defense and were penalized for illegal participation. The second time it happened with TU inside the 5 yard line and it cost us a TD. Why would you not call a timeout to at least give your defense another chance at a goal line stand? In my mind a coach or player should have been calling for a TO before TU snapped the ball.

2.) Bad penalties - with the above combined with for the second week in a row we committed a personal foul by a veteran player with the game on the line that contributed to another opposing team TD. Where is the discipline, especially when this should have been hammered on from the week before?

Would love to hear your thoughts as maybe I missed something in watching these plays unfold. Thanks!
1. Not that bad, Gundy usually does something like this 5-6 times per game instead of just twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
The issue is that Gundy believe in the number game. To him a mobile QB will accounted to and will take out one defender off the opposing defense. Gundy thinks pocket passers like Weeden, Mason Rudolph and Shane Illingworth are outdated old fashion

While I agree with Gundy about the advantage of a mobile QB, I think SS is a good athlete but a poor game manager, very turnover prone, poor vision, poor anticipation, poor scrambler that when scrambling he only seeing running lanes and no longer sees open receivers.

We need passers than can run (like Chelf, Zac Robinson, Corndog etc.) and not runners that can pass.

Gundy is very loyal to SS.
is he loyal or just bull headed?

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I hope you’re watching the Tulsa versus Ohio State game. It’s massively early and only two series into the game, but Tulsa is out playing them on both sides of the ball. Ohio State is struggling to get even a 2 yard carry in the run game against Tulsa‘s defense and Brinn is picking their defense apart in the passing game.

That’ll probably change as the game goes on with all the five star athletes that Ohio State has but my point is those are not a bunch of chumps that we beat last week….

Oct 29, 2016
US
I hope you’re watching the Tulsa versus Ohio State game. It’s massively early and only two series into the game, but Tulsa is out playing them on both sides of the ball. Ohio State is struggling to get even a 2 yard carry in the run game against Tulsa‘s defense and Brinn is picking their defense apart in the passing game.

That’ll probably change as the game goes on with all the five star athletes that Ohio State has but my point is those are not a bunch of chumps that we beat last week….
Yeah, Ohio State is going to demolish Tulsa.

Nov 18, 2010
Big fancy Ohio State only up by 1 touchdown at halftime. Maybe Tulsa isn't quite as bad as we thought. Shame they were missing so many players in their first game.

Also a shame the Tulsa WR's can't catch the ball or they might have a lead at half.