Official Game Thread: Tulsa vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
You know how many years I’ve heard, “if we play like this, we won’t be anyone except Kansas”

like.. every year. Needless to say, it’s not always pretty.. but they win football games.
I don't care how many times you heard that. What you've heard or read other people say or write has absolutely nothing to do with me, Einstein.

I've bookmarked this. I'll be sure to tag you after we get curb stomped by the entire Big 12, not including Kansas. Every Big 12, except for Kansas, I'd exchange our roster for theirs. If you can't see how bad this year's team is, that's fine. I'm a staunch supporter of Gundy, but next couple of years are not going to be fun. I hope I'm wrong. Unless our team AND coaching staff dramatically improve, we're not gonna have a fun time. And by dramatically improve, I mean... An entirely new roster, with an entirely different coaching staff, not including Gundy.
Nothing to do with you except you’re saying the same thing most of the whiners say this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I just have to follow-up post that Aaron Rodgers has been removed from his game against the Saints after going 15/28 for 133 yards, 0 TDs 2 INTs, and 4.75 ypa. It doesn't perfectly fit my above comment because the Saints (according to a quick google that turned up a preseason list from CBS sports) apparently have roughly the #9 rated defense in the NFL—but then, Aaron Rodgers' stats are far, far worse than Spencer Sanders were just the day before. It's a well-timed example of my point.
Spencer Sanders, Aaron Rogers, the Saints defense and the Tulsa defense all in the same set of paragraphs? That's some awesome reasoning skills right there.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Who cares about "one-offs?" You're all missing the forest for the trees. Step back and survey the overall trend we're in the middle of...

This may or may not have been a one-off bad game for SS, just like SI the week before, but the overall 4-year trend is one of declining offense and overall program status. We just are not a good football program right now and things are still heading in the wrong direction. We are going to slowly, and painfully, find out the true floor for our program because we're a long ways from the ceiling. Gundy is well past his prime at this point and the only coaches on the payroll earning their paycheck are Glass and Knowles.

Last week when I realized what was happening and where this is headed, I was angry. I realized all of the potential I knew we had was for nothing, zero coaching had occurred on the off-season, what's Dunn is done, and Gundy actually doesn't have much left in the tank. We were lied to. Then I was confronted by the aggressively complacent (like how dare ANYONE question Gundy) and anti-change attitude of the older generation around here and sat through the next domino in our decline on a scorching 99 degree day at BPS. The Tulsa game was unwatchable, even in person. Now our prime time conference-opener matchup against a good KSU team is on ESPN+. We are ridiculously lucky to be in a conference with Cincy UH UCF BYU. I thought we'd be desirable to any conference but now we might be lucky if we can keep the Big 12 from sinking.

I'm swamped at work, I'm booked solid with vacations and other plans the rest of this fall, I see no change or improvement on the horizon for OSU football... it's just time for me to check out. I'll try my best to monitor this situation out the corner of my eye, and hope for the best.. but I'm losing hope on football.

On the bright side campus looked phenomenal. I enjoyed touring a couple of Chicago friends who made the trip down with me. Looking forward to basketball season! I love my Pokes and I love having a team I can believe in. Boynton is delivering that right now, Gundy is not. I will continue to push for beneficial change (re: Gundy) every single opportunity that I get and use every single strategy I can think of until he is gone, but I am just one loyal alum out of 200,000...

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
So, so much to work on. Coach’s comments post game reflect that. A win is a win, and against an in-state rival that goes a little further in my eyes.

Take away the complete head-scratcher pick six, and Sanders was good. Not where he could be, but it’s his first game this year.

Obviously need to be sharper and more creative offensively to win up in Idaho.
Shaun Illingworth has better ceiling.
Its Shane and no he doesn’t as long as we have this O-Line. We lose the TU game if not for Sanders feet.

Sep 23, 2010
We have a qb that can run, but we don't seem to use it that often. We don't seem to utilize the RPO much either. They have taken away the middle of the field in the passing game because they don't seem to trust the QB to take care of the ball. No much seam routes, slants or crossing routes. Mostly outside throws.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We have a qb that can run, but we don't seem to use it that often. We don't seem to utilize the RPO much either. They have taken away the middle of the field in the passing game because they don't seem to trust the QB to take care of the ball. No much seam routes, slants or crossing routes. Mostly outside throws.
This isn't an isolated case or based on the abilities of our QBs. It's been this exact way since Daxx Garman was our QB, and the only reason it's succeeded is due to two facts.

1. We play in a really weak conference
2. We have always had an elite playmaking WR on the outside that can win the jump balls that our QBs have heaved up along the sidelines, where Gundy hopes for a big play or a PI call.

It's consistently been this way after Monken left. If we play a good team that can defend our outside receiver, we literally have nothing else. Sure, we can win hard-fought battles against Tulsa, run up the score on Kansas, etc...but we'll NEVER have a chance against any legit opponents with this garbage scheme. Frankly, I'm amazed that our fans are ok with how bad it is.

Sep 23, 2010
This isn't an isolated case or based on the abilities of our QBs. It's been this exact way since Daxx Garman was our QB, and the only reason it's succeeded is due to two facts.

1. We play in a really weak conference
2. We have always had an elite playmaking WR on the outside that can win the jump balls that our QBs have heaved up along the sidelines, where Gundy hopes for a big play or a PI call.

It's consistently been this way after Monken left. If we play a good team that can defend our outside receiver, we literally have nothing else. Sure, we can win hard-fought battles against Tulsa, run up the score on Kansas, etc...but we'll NEVER have a chance against any legit opponents with this garbage scheme. Frankly, I'm amazed that our fans are ok with how bad it is.
Do you think it's because of lack of scheme? Or do you think we are just deathly afraid of turning the ball over? Because SS is turning it over anyways, so we might as well open it up and get some big plays while we are at it.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I don't think that the fans are ok with how bad it has gotten. I think after the Chuba ordeal and overall disappointing season last year, overall majority opinion has shifted to replacing Gundy. I think Gundy was on borrowed time via promises made that things would change. Things didn't change and we were lied to. Gundy's forever contract forces only two inevitable outcomes, 1) he gets fired/dismissed, or 2) he leaves or retires and leaves us unprepared in a lurch.

The vocal Gundy Lovers who harass and maim anyone who dares question Gundy are unique to this board, which understandably, is trying to keep a lid on fomenting discontent. We're going to see posts deleted and threads locked on a weekly basis until one of the above eventualities finally happen.

OP however is not real life. In real life, Gundy is on borrowed time already with an ever-growing majority of the fanbase and more importantly the alums. Most of the folks on this board do not donate to the school. For the actual donor community, throwing good money after bad is becoming an issue. Based on extremely cordial discussions I've had with the University, they understand this.

T. Boone is also rolling in his grave right now. RIP to the greatest Cowboy, and hopefully we can fix this mess before it's too late and we're stuck in mediocrity.

USC just fired Clay Helton for losing to a decent Stanford team. Embarrassing move for them in all honesty, and they'll probably still win 8-9 games with their own decent team. We are not in that situation. We are also not Nebraska firing Pellini or Solich. We are our own school repeating the inglorious 1990s Pat Jones Era.

OK State 1990s... meet OK State 2020s... if we don't do something now to fix our trajectory. Doesn't have to be a national championship in the first two years, but the trajectory is not good. We are going to find out how low this can go if we don't fix it, because Gundy isn't capable.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Gundy isn't going anywhere. OSU would never recover from the buyout. I hope some how some way he gets it turned around. I don't know though, from what I've seen this year, I think it may be a rough year, but the "Gundy" guys keep assuring we are going to be ok and accuse me of being a horrible fan for sounding the alarm. I may be dumb as a post but I know what bad football looks like. Not much any of us can do but to just see what happens.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
OSU could recover from a buyout, football is lucrative and coaches are expensive. OSU cannot recover from keeping Gundy around. Our athletic revenue has been decreasing year after year... we're gradually becoming poorer, less competitive, and the vicious cycle repeats each year Gundy is retained on his forever contract.

At a certain point we have to say enough is enough, this University does not exist for the sake of Gundy... we've given him everything and he's done his best, but we need to go in a different (more upward) direction.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
We just came through the "pandemic year" signifiant revenue was lost, almost every coach had to take a pay cut. We can't go paying off a coach 20M+ on the heels of that. Also we are fixing to be playing in the "farm team" league, coaches are going to be passing though the Big 12 faster than you can blink, may be a good thing to have some stability. I'm as frustrated as everyone else, I just want Gundy to get it turned around FAST, ultimately he is our best bet. I just want to see some good football

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
We just came through the "pandemic year" signifiant revenue was lost, almost every coach had to take a pay cut. We can't go paying off a coach 20M+ on the heels of that. Also we are fixing to be playing in the "farm team" league, coaches are going to be passing though the Big 12 faster than you can blink, may be a good thing to have some stability. I'm as frustrated as everyone else, I just want Gundy to get it turned around FAST, ultimately he is our best bet. I just want to see some good football
This is still the only good argument for retaining Gundy... maybe he can turn the shipwreck around in an even-lesser conference than the current Big 12. I appreciate your post and your point. The only thing you're wrong about is that the decreasing AD revenue has been a trend since Mason graduated...

Ultimately I agree that we have to be delicate about how and with whom we replace Gundy... Texas Tech and others schools do provide an excellent road map for what NOT to do. I really do want to be wrong about Gundy but I know that unless EXTREME pressure is put on him, he won't change anything. Ie Boone forcing him to hire Dana, and then Monken, which bought us an excellent (albeit incomplete) run. It's clear that Gundy wants to be Pat Jones... we just can't allow that.

F^%$ Pat Jones amirite? Y'all Gundy Lovers are like the 2020s equivalent of someone saying we can't fire PJ bc he is "responsible" for Barry... (the flipside, and correct, argument being that NOT winning a NC let alone conf champ with Barry or even Thurman was a crime in and of itself)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2008
Blackwell
OSU could recover from a buyout, football is lucrative and coaches are expensive. OSU cannot recover from keeping Gundy around. Our athletic revenue has been decreasing year after year... we're gradually becoming poorer, less competitive, and the vicious cycle repeats each year Gundy is retained on his forever contract.

At a certain point we have to say enough is enough, this University does not exist for the sake of Gundy... we've given him everything and he's done his best, but we need to go in a different (more upward) direction.
Bring in Mike Leach!

Apr 27, 2006
This is still the only good argument for retaining Gundy... maybe he can turn the shipwreck around in an even-lesser conference than the current Big 12. I appreciate your post and your point. The only thing you're wrong about is that the decreasing AD revenue has been a trend since Mason graduated...

Ultimately I agree that we have to be delicate about how and with whom we replace Gundy... Texas Tech and others schools do provide an excellent road map for what NOT to do. I really do want to be wrong about Gundy but I know that unless EXTREME pressure is put on him, he won't change anything. Ie Boone forcing him to hire Dana, and then Monken, which bought us an excellent (albeit incomplete) run. It's clear that Gundy wants to be Pat Jones... we just can't allow that.

F^%$ Pat Jones amirite? Y'all Gundy Lovers are like the 2020s equivalent of someone saying we can't fire PJ bc he is "responsible" for Barry... (the flipside, and correct, argument being that NOT winning a NC let alone conf champ with Barry or even Thurman was a crime in and of itself)
As an organization we have a history of keeping coaches until most of the gains realized are lost thus always starting over from near or at the bottom.

Feb 12, 2010
Tulsa, OK
This is a quote from Gundy in TODAY’s press conference.

“How we try to attack it in recruiting? We would probably get a feel for how young men in Central Florida or in Ohio would feel about coming to school here and get a barometer and a feel for it because I don’t want to fly all the way across the country if I can get the same product within a four-hour drive. And there’s a lot of players within a four-hour drive of us now. So we would have to feel the water, get a good idea of what the interest level is before we make that decision. A little easier to Houston because you get a direct flight right? And a little easier to Salt Lake City because you get a direct flight. The other ones are a little bit more of a risk but we’ll see.“

Maybe I’m reading to much into it but the way I read this is that he still has no desire to recruit harder. Our overall talent level has been decreasing the last 5-6 years and with this attitude it’s not going to get better. I’ve been ready to move on from Gundy since his last extortion round with Tennessee.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
This is a quote from Gundy in TODAY’s press conference.

“How we try to attack it in recruiting? We would probably get a feel for how young men in Central Florida or in Ohio would feel about coming to school here and get a barometer and a feel for it because I don’t want to fly all the way across the country if I can get the same product within a four-hour drive. And there’s a lot of players within a four-hour drive of us now. So we would have to feel the water, get a good idea of what the interest level is before we make that decision. A little easier to Houston because you get a direct flight right? And a little easier to Salt Lake City because you get a direct flight. The other ones are a little bit more of a risk but we’ll see.“

Maybe I’m reading to much into it but the way I read this is that he still has no desire to recruit harder. Our overall talent level has been decreasing the last 5-6 years and with this attitude it’s not going to get better. I’ve been ready to move on from Gundy since his last extortion round with Tennessee.
The 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes are both looking really strong so the latest data points there don’t agree with you.

Sep 12, 2021
Perkins, OK
Let me first say that as poorly that we have played on offense I am delighted that we are 2-0. We could just as easily be 0-2. There were a couple of mistakes from the TU game that I have not heard anyone bring up.

1.) Poor game management as 2x we tried to sub on defense and were penalized for illegal participation. The second time it happened with TU inside the 5 yard line and it cost us a TD. Why would you not call a timeout to at least give your defense another chance at a goal line stand? In my mind a coach or player should have been calling for a TO before TU snapped the ball.

2.) Bad penalties - with the above combined with for the second week in a row we committed a personal foul by a veteran player with the game on the line that contributed to another opposing team TD. Where is the discipline, especially when this should have been hammered on from the week before?

Would love to hear your thoughts as maybe I missed something in watching these plays unfold. Thanks!