Official Game Thread: Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I will hold out that I could be wrong and concede that at the end of the day we won so I should move on but this is the tv replay. In game replay at the stadium was from the other end and I will add this to Dez caught it, TX fumbled at the goal line, Justin Gilbert had the Int, Limbrick was not at fault and the FG in Ames was good.

Watch the replay where they show Gundy. He is seeing exactly what the stadium saw and he goes nuts. You can hear the whole stadium. Gundy doesn’t react like this unless he knows the call was wrong.
Yeah, you're just wrong despite what any replay appeared to show.

JPR's elbow clearly contacts the plant leg. That's roughing, by definition. You can't make contact with the punter's plant leg. No matter how the punter "sells it," you just can't touch that leg.

I'm no OU homer, but it's time to let this one go. The call was correct.
Actually, he’s not wrong, but you are. There’s nothing in the rules about “touching” the plant leg. To wit:

Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder
ARTICLE 16. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 9-1-16-I, III and VI).
1. Roughing is a live-ball personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder. 2. Running into the kicker or holder is a live-ball foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from their kicking or holding position
but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-16-II).
3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.
4. The kicker’s protection under this rule ends (a) when the kicker has had
a reasonable time to regain their balance (A.R. 9-1-16-IV); or (b) when the kicker carries the ball outside the tackle box (Rule 2-34) before kicking.
5. When a defensive player’s contact against the kicker or holder is caused by an opponent’s block (legal or illegal), there is no foul for running into or roughing.
6. A player who makes contact with the kicker or holder after touching the kick is not charged with running into or roughing the kicker.
7. When a player other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick runs into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.
8. When in question whether the foul is running into or roughing, the foul is roughing.
PENALTY—Roughing or any other personal foul against the kicker who is in the act or just after kicking the ball: 15 yards from the previous spot, plus automatic first down if not in conflict with

FR-98 RulE 9 / ConduCt oF PlayERs and othERs subJECt to thE RulEs
other rules [S38 and S30]. Running into the kicker: 5 yards from the previous spot [S30].
b. A kicker or holder simulating being roughed or run into by a defensive player commits an unsportsmanlike act (A.R. 9-1-16-V).
PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot or, if the scrimmage kick crosses the neutral zone, can be enforced where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team B [S27].
c. The kicker of a free kick may not be blocked until they have advanced five yards beyond their restraining line, or until the ball has touched a player, an official or the ground.
PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [S40]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I posted the rule from the NFL book without realizing it. My mistake.

But I'm surprised the NCAA book doesn't address the same thing. It's pretty commonly accepted that the point of the rule is to protect the punter with his kicking foot in the air by not allowing players to contact the plant leg. That's how really bad injuries occur. I'd say "endangering the kicker" would apply in this case.

Anyway, it's sort of moot at this point. I think we all agree that going for the block was the wrong thing to do to avoid any chance of that call being made.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Just had an interaction with an OU fan in the restroom at the restaurant we went to. “Good game, blah blah blah you know if Eric Gray doesn’t drop that punt it would have been different.”

I was going to Just move on until then. So I asked if he had forgotten we dropped a punt too that gave them a TD?”

“oh yeah we’ll that’s true, too bad the refs couldn’t do better.”

WTF? Seriously, what in the literal **** are they talking about?

Sep 4, 2007
Tulsa
I'm looking at stats and having a hard time understanding how we won this game (other than we scored more points, duh). Just about all the stats are in OUs favor. The only thing I can figure out is Presley's TD return and his punt muff nullify one another. Our fumble near the goal line resulted in 2 points for them; their fumble near the goal line (muffed punt) resulted in 6 for us.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The decision to go for the block is Gundy's version of Stoop's kick it again. Even if he didn't make the call he allows it to go on. The difference is he keeps doing it.
GTFO with that! :D It was not a great idea to go for the block in that situation. Obviously, in hindsight it was a bad call. Gundy always gets roasted for not being aggressive against OU. Remember how 2 blocked punts changed the entire dynamic of the 2019 Boise State game…

Again not a good call, not defending it.

But to mention it in the same breath as the stoops re-punt is reckless and irresponsible.

That was the stupidest decision from a head coach possibly in college football history.

A true freshman QB playing in his second game, in Norman. Having just thrown an interception on the last drive. The punt, having pinned this struggling offense inside their own 15 yard line. 85 yards to go in 1 minute needing a TD. He decided to take the penalty and punt again and put the ball in the hands of the fastest player in college football.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Actually, he’s not wrong, but you are. There’s nothing in the rules about “touching” the plant leg. To wit:

Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder
ARTICLE 16. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 9-1-16-I, III and VI).
1. Roughing is a live-ball personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder. 2. Running into the kicker or holder is a live-ball foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from their kicking or holding position
but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-16-II).
3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.
4. The kicker’s protection under this rule ends (a) when the kicker has had
a reasonable time to regain their balance (A.R. 9-1-16-IV); or (b) when the kicker carries the ball outside the tackle box (Rule 2-34) before kicking.
5. When a defensive player’s contact against the kicker or holder is caused by an opponent’s block (legal or illegal), there is no foul for running into or roughing.
6. A player who makes contact with the kicker or holder after touching the kick is not charged with running into or roughing the kicker.
7. When a player other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick runs into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.
8. When in question whether the foul is running into or roughing, the foul is roughing.
PENALTY—Roughing or any other personal foul against the kicker who is in the act or just after kicking the ball: 15 yards from the previous spot, plus automatic first down if not in conflict with

FR-98 RulE 9 / ConduCt oF PlayERs and othERs subJECt to thE RulEs
other rules [S38 and S30]. Running into the kicker: 5 yards from the previous spot [S30].
b. A kicker or holder simulating being roughed or run into by a defensive player commits an unsportsmanlike act (A.R. 9-1-16-V).
PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot or, if the scrimmage kick crosses the neutral zone, can be enforced where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team B [S27].
c. The kicker of a free kick may not be blocked until they have advanced five yards beyond their restraining line, or until the ball has touched a player, an official or the ground.
PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [S40]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For there to be a penalty, it requires making contact with the kicker to begin with. He did not. Total flop.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I'm looking at stats and having a hard time understanding how we won this game (other than we scored more points, duh). Just about all the stats are in OUs favor. The only thing I can figure out is Presley's TD return and his punt muff nullify one another. Our fumble near the goal line resulted in 2 points for them; their fumble near the goal line (muffed punt) resulted in 6 for us.
Presley had over 150 return yards, those were the difference in the game

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/1464815537033261062?s=21
I was really tough on Knowles last night for not adjusting in the first half to the inability to get the pressure he needed for the secondary to play man effectively. But I have to give major credit for the halftime move to more zone which confused Williams and gave more time for pressure to get to him. I also have MAJOR kuddos to the players. Making that big of a change during the game in the defense they are playing requires tremendous discipline and outstanding coaching by the staff. At the game you could clearly see the unsettling effect it had on Williams.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I was really tough on Knowles last night for not adjusting in the first half to the inability to get the pressure he needed for the secondary to play man effectively. But I have to give major credit for the halftime move to more zone which confused Williams and gave more time for pressure to get to him. I also have MAJOR kuddos to the players. Making that big of a change during the game in the defense they are playing requires tremendous discipline and outstanding coaching by the staff. At the game you could clearly see the unsettling effect it had on Williams.
I think what we have learned is you better get what you can get early against this defense. At some point they will figure it out and you get nothing