Official Game Thread: Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 19, 2006
I wish I could have heard the conversation between the officials just before they picked up what would have been a personal foul on Harper for the shove.

The camera angle on the non-PI call in the endzone at the end was not enough to bitch about it like the broadcast crew was going on.
If I was a Sooner fan, that's probably the call / non-call I'd be most upset about. Seemed pretty obvious Harper shoved him after the whistle. Guess the officials decided it wasn't egregious enough to warrant the flag.

We rarely catch those kind of breaks but it was huge.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I will hold out that I could be wrong and concede that at the end of the day we won so I should move on but this is the tv replay. In game replay at the stadium was from the other end and I will add this to Dez caught it, TX fumbled at the goal line, Justin Gilbert had the Int, Limbrick was not at fault and the FG in Ames was good.

Watch the replay where they show Gundy. He is seeing exactly what the stadium saw and he goes nuts. You can hear the whole stadium. Gundy doesn’t react like this unless he knows the call was wrong.
Yeah, you're just wrong despite what any replay appeared to show.

JPR's elbow clearly contacts the plant leg. That's roughing, by definition. You can't make contact with the punter's plant leg. No matter how the punter "sells it," you just can't touch that leg.

I'm no OU homer, but it's time to let this one go. The call was correct.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
If I was a Sooner fan, that's probably the call / non-call I'd be most upset about. Seemed pretty obvious Harper shoved him after the whistle. Guess the officials decided it wasn't egregious enough to warrant the flag.

I'm really surprised they overturned that one. It was an unnecessary push. It happens all the time but once the flag is thrown, that's usually it.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
From the NFL rule book, Article 10:

Item 1: Roughing the kicker. It is a foul for roughing the kicker if a defensive player:
(a) contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air; or
(b) slides into or contacts the kicker when both of the kicker's feet are on the ground. It is not a foul if the contact is not severe, or if the kicker returns both feet to the ground prior to the contact and falls over a defender who is on the ground.

(edited to show this is actually the NFL rule, not the college rule)

Last edited:

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Quite pleasing to see the defense not allow them to score in the second half; Knowles was like a mad scientist making his halftime adjustment so pay let's pay him what he wants ;)
I had a moment there where I got emotional and doubted Knowles super powers.

The worst things about our defense are our offense and special teams.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
So I’ve watched the replay.

What exactly is sooner fan or Chris Fowler talking about? Like specifically?

If you think officials determined that outcome you’re a loser. Just like most other times fans whine about officials.

Dec 9, 2013
Yeah, you're just wrong despite what any replay appeared to show.

JPR's elbow clearly contacts the plant leg. That's roughing, by definition. You can't make contact with the punter's plant leg. No matter how the punter "sells it," you just can't touch that leg.

I'm no OU homer, but it's time to let this one go. The call was correct.
So you were at the game and saw the replay I’m referring to. The same one 50,000 saw and caused Gundy to go nuts? Not the one on tv that you posted.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Random thoughts after the game:
1. The reason this game was so close was because we made so many mistakes. We extended a drive for a touchdown, muffed a punt for a touchdown, fumbled near the goal line for a safety, and missed a field goal. We would've won by 20+ points without these mistakes.
2. We should never try to block a punt unless there are less than 20 second left in the first half and there's no way extending a drive will hurt us.
3. I have to give major props to Coach Gundy. He had an aggressive gameplan and left it all on the field.
4. Coach Knowles deserves the Broyles award. His halftime adjustments were masterful.
5. I have to give a little credit to OU. Riley found a weakness in our defense and exploited it with their H-backs, and Williams made some great throws under duress.
6. I hope that we never have to hear Boomer Sooner played in BPS again.
7. This isn't the end of the journey. Our game against Baylor next week is even bigger than Bedlam. We have a major opportunity to move the program forward this year, and we need to make the most of it.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Dave is, IMO, the best in the business.
I do enjoy listening to him on the broadcast, but I believe Craig Way has him beat. Short version of why I say that is, I listened to him on the LRN driving home from Lawton one evening, they were playing Michigan (Rose Bowl??). Not sure how I picked up their broadcast but it was clear the entire drive. Anyway, he's a longhorn but consider me highly impressed with this broadcast talent.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
From the NCAA rule book, Article 10:

Item 1: Roughing the kicker. It is a foul for roughing the kicker if a defensive player:
(a) contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air; or
(b) slides into or contacts the kicker when both of the kicker's feet are on the ground. It is not a foul if the contact is not severe, or if the kicker returns both feet to the ground prior to the contact and falls over a defender who is on the ground.
Now let’s post the official rules for holding and illegal hands to the face. :D

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009

I watched them do all kinds of crap after the play last week against ISU. And homeboy clearly tried to get fresh with SS nuts.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
So you were at the game and saw the replay I’m referring to. The same one 50,000 saw and caused Gundy to go nuts? Not the one on tv that you posted.
1) I didn't post any replay.
2) When one replay CLEARLY shows contact, it doesn't really matter if another one appears to show no contact, does it?
3) Why are you still harping on this? The call was correct. /end