Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Gundy just figures out a way to win these type of games it seems. And since Knowles has arrived, the defense steps up often in big moments. What a game. When we started pounding them with the run in the second half, you could feel the momentum changing. You just didn't know if we could put the ball in the endzone enough. This defense has to be one of the better defenses we've ever had. Historians?
The greatest.

Dec 11, 2011
Best I've seen in my OSU fandom ('02+)
This has me seeing games in a way I never thought I would in the last 19 years. Still waiting for my first ever OSU shutout? I'll settle for that in late November....

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Calling him soft is just stupid. The coaching staff has been begging him to take better care of himself and the ball (cuz if you aren’t getting hit you’re less likely to fumble) for 2 years. Gundy has said so in press conferences. And to those players, there’s basically nothing worse than calling someone soft.
Saying he isn't soft is just stupid. (did I do that correctly?)

What else should I call him; fragile? made of glass? hates contact? doesn't like to be hit? uncoordinated? lacks balance? clumsy? scared?

I'm not knocking him. It's just an observation from the last two seasons. He seems to really shy away from contact, and it's impacted his ability to stay in the pocket. He bails too quickly. When he does run, he goes down with the slightest hint of contact in most cases. What else would you call that in proper football terminology?

It's not like he's incapable. He seemed to look for contact his first year. Obviously we don't need that. But now he looks scared to death on the field. We don't want that, either.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Calling him soft is just stupid. The coaching staff has been begging him to take better care of himself and the ball (cuz if you aren’t getting hit you’re less likely to fumble) for 2 years. Gundy has said so in press conferences. And to those players, there’s basically nothing worse than calling someone soft.

What else should I call him; fragile? made of glass? hates contact? doesn't like to be hit? uncoordinated? lacks balance? clumsy? scared?

I'm not knocking him. It's just an observation from the last two seasons. He seems to really shy away from contact, and it's impacted his ability to stay in the pocket. He bails too quickly. When he does run, he goes down with the slightest hint of contact in most cases. What else would you call that in proper football terminology?

It's not like he's incapable. He seemed to look for contact his first year. Obviously we don't need that. But now he looks scared to death on the field. We don't want that, either.
Yeah, really sounds like you’re not knocking him.

I think he’s done pretty good in the pocket, heck sometimes he needs to bail faster because I don’t think he has the awareness to know when his blindside linemen has been beat. But we’ve got examples of him getting hit while throwing from Saturday, like the roughing the passer, or taking the big hit on the TE slip to the flat etc.

The slightest hint of contact? Scared to death on the field? In what world? No idea what your seeing from him as runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

Stop while you’re… oh, never mind.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

You knock him and then say you aren't knocking him because it's just an observation. That doesn't make any sense to me.

How about this. In the past decade we were spoiled by two quarterbacks who were multi year starters who made it to the league. In between that we had basically 4 guys who were all talented legit P5 starters who had strengths and limitations. Sanders isn't as good at running the offense as Rudolph or Weeden, but he's arguably better than Chelf and definitely better than Lunt, Cornelius and Walsh.

If you take a step back you are dragging a more athletic version of Chelf and that altleticism will give him a shot at the next level. On Saturday we were a couple of drops away from that game not being contested in the 4th quarter. A lot of that is on the defense but if the wide receivers do their job Texas isn't bitching about the 4th quarter meltdown as much as they are getting their butts kicked.

Does he have his limitations? Yeah, but so does every qb in college not named Desmond Ridder.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
You knock him and then say you aren't knocking him because it's just an observation. That doesn't make any sense to me.

How about this. In the past decade we were spoiled by two quarterbacks who were multi year starters who made it to the league. In between that we had basically 4 guys who were all talented legit P5 starters who had strengths and limitations. Sanders isn't as good at running the offense as Rudolph or Weeden, but he's arguably better than Chelf and definitely better than Lunt, Cornelius and Walsh.

If you take a step back you are dragging a more athletic version of Chelf and that altleticism will give him a shot at the next level. On Saturday we were a couple of drops away from that game not being contested in the 4th quarter. A lot of that is on the defense but if the wide receivers do their job Texas isn't bitching about the 4th quarter meltdown as much as they are getting their butts kicked.

Does he have his limitations? Yeah, but so does every qb in college not named Desmond Ridder.
Zero chance Sanders is better than Chelf.

Apr 7, 2006
It's hilarious how soft that school is. They have 1 yard of offense in the 4th quarter and if you read surlyhorns you'll learn that there is a multiyear conspiracy by the Big 12 refs against Texas that is keeping them down. (Didn't Mangino point out the opposite and get fined back in the day?)

I'm guessing they've forgotten that they've been the beneficiary of some AWFUL calls. (2012 vs OSU comes to mind)

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We'll just keep feeding Warren and hope for the best. That's what we've been doing. He only had ~70 yards rushing midway through the 3rd. Aside from a couple of long runs against Boise, that's what we did, I didn't see KSU, but against Baylor, same thing.
That's my concern. We've seen Gundy be so stubborn that he won't adjust, and if a team is able to shut down the run, we lose. Simple as that.
Yeah, right. Gundy doesn’t adjust.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
After watching other Big12 QBs (especially ISU) it seems like one issue we have w SS is he always escapes outside when pressured. Other QBs step up and escape out the front door so to speak. I know Mahomes is on another level but he moves up and then gets to the sideline. SS loops to the out side 1st and there’s just too much speed to pick up anything meaningful. I wonder if that’s by design, pass protection schemes or something the coaches preach but SS keeps flushing outside.
SS panics and bails on plays way too quickly. Best I can tell from even his designed runs is that he's pretty soft, and doesn't like taking hits. The least amount of pressure or a tackle attempt, and he bails or falls down. I also think he doesn't have very good field vision or awareness in general.

Every snap: Snap the ball, lock on to primary, panic if it's covered, run away from pressure or throw the ball randomly in the direction he's looking and hope for the best. Rinse. Repeat.
We must be tuned to different channels. If anything, SS holds the ball too long and passes up many opportunities to just tuck and run.

Oh, and if you want to talk soft , consider what sits on your shoulders and leave SS out of the conversation.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
We must be tuned to different channels. If anything, SS holds the ball too long and passes up many opportunities to just tuck and run.

Oh, and if you want to talk soft , consider what sits on your shoulders and leave SS out of the conversation.

I think you misread what Hackleman was saying. He said that when SS does decide to tuck and run he tends to try to run to the side rather than taking off up the middle, which is true. It was more about that than timing. I think the inclination to go outside when escaping the pocket goes back to his RPO roots. He could do that in HS and outrun most defensive players, but not so much in D1 college - too much defensive speed. I'd like to see him run for about 5 - 8 yards up the middle and slide vs trying to take it outside every time.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think you misread what Hackleman was saying. He said that when SS does decide to tuck and run he tends to try to run to the side rather than taking off up the middle, which is true. It was more about that than timing. I think the inclination to go outside when escaping the pocket goes back to his RPO roots. He could do that in HS and outrun most defensive players, but not so much in D1 college - too much defensive speed. I'd like to see him run for about 5 - 8 yards up the middle and slide vs trying to take it outside every time.
He’s not responding to Hackleman. He’s responding to @Birry ’s comment, which was flat out wrong.

Here it is, but if you’re like me, you’ll have to show ignored content.
SS panics and bails on plays way too quickly. Best I can tell from even his designed runs is that he's pretty soft, and doesn't like taking hits. The least amount of pressure or a tackle attempt, and he bails or falls down.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
It's hilarious how soft that school is. They have 1 yard of offense in the 4th quarter and if you read surlyhorns you'll learn that there is a multiyear conspiracy by the Big 12 refs against Texas that is keeping them down. (Didn't Mangino point out the opposite and get fined back in the day?)

I'm guessing they've forgotten that they've been the beneficiary of some AWFUL calls. (2012 vs OSU comes to mind)
Heck last yr (PI) was even very questionable

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Last 10
OSU - 3.5 /34-41 loss 2020. Home
Texas - 7 /30-36 loss 2019. Away
Texas - 2.5 /38-35 win 2018. Home
OSU -7 /13-10 win 2017. Away
OSU - 2.5 /49-31 win 2016. Home
OSU - 2.5 /30-27 win 2015. Away
Texas - 1.5 /7-28 loss 2014. Home
OSU - 3 /38-13 win 2013. Away
Texas - 2 /36-41 loss 2012. Home
OSU - 7 /38-26 win 2011. Away
most of the losses were to the then BIG12 refs who cared less about "holdings. "hand to the face" and collar tackles.