Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
We'll just keep feeding Warren and hope for the best. That's what we've been doing. He only had ~70 yards rushing midway through the 3rd. Aside from a couple of long runs against Boise, that's what we did, I didn't see KSU, but against Baylor, same thing.
That's my concern. We've seen Gundy be so stubborn that he won't adjust, and if a team is able to shut down the run, we lose. Simple as that.
That Warren is extra special. Guy has 1 inch less height than I but has 60 more pounds. All of it in massive punishing muscle. Coupled with the offensive run calls, the 4th qtr has proved to us these guys just get better as the game progresses. But the ace in the hole that compliments the violent run game is the even more violent defense.

Finished watching the first qtr. Hats off to who called the first down play on our first drive.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Out of the 6 wins in Austin lately I have to wonder how many we were favored?
Last 10
OSU - 3.5 /34-41 loss 2020. Home
Texas - 7 /30-36 loss 2019. Away
Texas - 2.5 /38-35 win 2018. Home
OSU -7 /13-10 win 2017. Away
OSU - 2.5 /49-31 win 2016. Home
OSU - 2.5 /30-27 win 2015. Away
Texas - 1.5 /7-28 loss 2014. Home
OSU - 3 /38-13 win 2013. Away
Texas - 2 /36-41 loss 2012. Home
OSU - 7 /38-26 win 2011. Away

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
I wish we’d install more of Sanders running talents into our offense. That’s his strength. Is it because of his past history with injuries and a lack of confidence in Illingworth? Where does Gunnar fit into the backup quarterback situation?

Nov 6, 2010
I wish we’d install more of Sanders running talents into our offense. That’s his strength. Is it because of his past history with injuries and a lack of confidence in Illingworth? Where does Gunnar fit into the backup quarterback situation?
I think the fear of injury is part of it, but mostly defenses are taking that away. Watch when he runs a QB draw how quickly and how many defenders swarm him.

Dec 9, 2013
That pass to Martin he probably should have caught, but if Sanders leads him better that was a TD for sure. Although that fade into the endzone to Martin should have been caught regardless.
After watching other Big12 QBs (especially ISU) it seems like one issue we have w SS is he always escapes outside when pressured. Other QBs step up and escape out the front door so to speak. I know Mahomes is on another level but he moves up and then gets to the sideline. SS loops to the out side 1st and there’s just too much speed to pick up anything meaningful. I wonder if that’s by design, pass protection schemes or something the coaches preach but SS keeps flushing outside.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
After watching other Big12 QBs (especially ISU) it seems like one issue we have w SS is he always escapes outside when pressured. Other QBs step up and escape out the front door so to speak. I know Mahomes is on another level but he moves up and then gets to the sideline. SS loops to the out side 1st and there’s just too much speed to pick up anything meaningful. I wonder if that’s by design, pass protection schemes or something the coaches preach but SS keeps flushing outside.
I am sure it was a thing that he could do when he was in high school and is just a natural reaction, but the level of play has risen since then and he needs to make those adjustments. PRONTO.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
SS panics and bails on plays way too quickly. Best I can tell from even his designed runs is that he's pretty soft, and doesn't like taking hits. The least amount of pressure or a tackle attempt, and he bails or falls down. I also think he doesn't have very good field vision or awareness in general.

Every snap: Snap the ball, lock on to primary, panic if it's covered, run away from pressure or throw the ball randomly in the direction he's looking and hope for the best. Rinse. Repeat.

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Agree on all accounts, but quick note Taylor did not get burned for a TD. He got burned and did not give up on the play and made a TD saving tackle. That drive turned into 3 points instead of 7. Big time play after a mistake.
You are absolutely right after re-watching. Even more reason to like him. Those are the little things that add up big time!

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
SS panics and bails on plays way too quickly. Best I can tell from even his designed runs is that he's pretty soft, and doesn't like taking hits. The least amount of pressure or a tackle attempt, and he bails or falls down. I also think he doesn't have very good field vision or awareness in general.

Every snap: Snap the ball, lock on to primary, panic if it's covered, run away from pressure or throw the ball randomly in the direction he's looking and hope for the best. Rinse. Repeat.
Disagree about him shying away from hits. I yelled for two years for him to get down and not take the big hit.

His tendency to want to escape the pocket, rather than climb it, is still maddening and I'm sure something all of our opponents see.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Disagree about him shying away from hits. I yelled for two years for him to get down and not take the big hit.

His tendency to want to escape the pocket, rather than climb it, is still maddening and I'm sure something all of our opponents see.
He definitely ran with more physicality in his first season, but the last two he's looked really fragile.

Dec 9, 2013

I’m not saying he makes great decisions every time but I have rewatched 4th a couple of times. On the 3rd down play where we kicked the go ahead FG Tay ran the wrong route. Corner backed off and had outside leverage. Safety was too far inside. Route should have been a slant. SS saw this and ran the ball back to the middle to set up the FG.

It was a great decision.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I’m not saying he makes great decisions every time but I have rewatched 4th a couple of times. On the 3rd down play where we kicked the go ahead FG Tay ran the wrong route. Corner backed off and had outside leverage. Safety was too far inside. Route should have been a slant. SS saw this and ran the ball back to the middle to set up the FG.

It was a great decision.
I will agree that he's making slightly better decisions this season, but he still panics too easily/quickly, and generally is only able to make 1 read before he bails.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Calling him soft is just stupid. The coaching staff has been begging him to take better care of himself and the ball (cuz if you aren’t getting hit you’re less likely to fumble) for 2 years. Gundy has said so in press conferences. And to those players, there’s basically nothing worse than calling someone soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
but mostly defenses are taking that away. Watch when he runs a QB draw how quickly and how many defenders swarm him.
Yes, because they know what's coming. That's about all we do with him in the running game.
I mean that’s not true, we have literally been brushing off the old fashioned option plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2011
And those have been working pretty well. In fact, it seems getting him on the edge works better in general.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this last game was the only time I've seen him pitch it to the RB. Usually he takes it himself. I noticed it because he did it a little early. It'll take time but I like the pitch and once they get that down it'll add more value.
Step 1) run the option
Step 2) get down the pitch
Step 3) execute it with perfection

I've seen us get Step 2 now.

Nov 6, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this last game was the only time I've seen him pitch it to the RB. Usually he takes it himself. I noticed it because he did it a little early. It'll take time but I like the pitch and once they get that down it'll add more value.
Step 1) run the option
Step 2) get down the pitch
Step 3) execute it with perfection

I've seen us get Step 2 now.
Yea, and it's pretty unique these days, not many teams run it. I also loved what we did with the bootleg and throwing it to Cassity, that's a new wrinkle. Lots of stuff we can do off there.