Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Sanders was 5-5 with a passing and a rushing TD in the 4th quarter.

I know I'm a Sanders defender and that Warren did all the heavy lifting late in the game, but I thought it should be noted that when the game was on the line #3 stayed in control and led us to the W.
He also made back/back clutch plays on that drive. He recovered the bad snap, then got about 15 yards on a QB delay to make it a manageable 3rd and short.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

I know I'm a Sanders defender and that Warren did all the heavy lifting late in the game, but I thought it should be noted that when the game was on the line #3 stayed in control and led us to the W.
With our defense we don't need him to be a hero, we need him to be an effective game manager.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Dec 2, 2008
SC

Absolutely! The dude shows up when he’s most needed. He’s definitely a baller. I think he’s have pretty good success throw short slants over the middle. I think he can do that and then it opens up the run more.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
With our defense we don't need him to be a hero, we need him to be an effective game manager.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Maybe the question should be who can manage the game better with the Offense we have, SS or SI?
Haha, we posted the same thing at the same time

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
SS is all about confidence. The solution is to game plan like we did against Miami. Give him some early success through the air to build his confidence and then transition him to game manager to close out a win.

I also want to acknowledge that's exactly what Gundy/Dunn tried to do. Tay Martin just dropped everything thrown his way. SS even opened the game with a perfectly thrown deep ball to Tay and he just dropped it.

When you have star WRs drop perfect balls in perfect weather to start a game... not much else you can do about that. SS is better than his completion record.

Nov 6, 2010
Honestly, Texas is just soft. They are big and strong and fast and talented, but they are completely reliant on being in front. You hit them hard and they fold up. OU proved that and so did we. Been that way for a some time. I think their last QB helped with that in a way, but they just don't have the fortitude when the game gets tough.

Say what you will about Spencer Sanders, but dude is a competitor and does not fear the moment. He might not do what you want him to do, but he is going 100%. This team has heart and toughness. I worry about them offensively, but if they clean that up they could be scary good.
Having a hard time finding anything to disagree with on this post. I think I'm all in with ya sir!

Nov 6, 2010
I just rewatched the game from yesterday. The o-line is pretty damn good at creating holes for Warren to run through but definitely lacking pass protection. How can they be so good at doing one thing and damn near horrible at the other? It seems to me that most of the passing plays downfield take way to long to develop. Thoughts?
We benched the two tackles we thought were going to start at LT and replaced them with a guard. So we're basically playing 3 guards and 1 tackle now.

Apr 7, 2006
I've begun to wonder if we could 2 or 3 designed drives for SI in the game plan. Specifically in the 3rd qtr or maybe goal line. Not sure if it's practical or not but it would be an adjustment for the defense.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
SS is all about confidence. The solution is to game plan like we did against Miami. Give him some early success through the air to build his confidence and then transition him to game manager to close out a win.

I also want to acknowledge that's exactly what Gundy/Dunn tried to do. Tay Martin just dropped everything thrown his way. SS even opened the game with a perfectly thrown deep ball to Tay and he just dropped it.

When you have star WRs drop perfect balls in perfect weather to start a game... not much else you can do about that. SS is better than his completion record.
Sanders issues have nothing to do with his confidence. Hell, that kid has plenty of confidence, and that’s what allowed him to finish games stronger than he starts at times. The reality is the coaches probably love that trait more than any others Sanders brings to the table. His issues are mechanical and I’m sure he works on those every day at practice. Mechanics are difficult to fix when you done things one way for as long as he can remember. Sanders gives us the best shot to win under the circumstances with an offensive line that pass blocks poorly. I’m just glad this kid believes in himself no matter what the adversity he faces on Saturday’s.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
SI isn’t infallible either. I thought he was protected fairly well in the Missouri State game though. Protected much better than SS has been so far. Again, to me it looks like the passing plays down the field are either taking too long to develop OR SS is having a hard to making quick decisions, reading the defense. I’m not quite sure which it is. Which is why I think we should be attacking the middle of the field on short pass plays just like Holgerson, Monken and even Gundy used to do when they were calling plays.
I agree. Turn Pressley into a little Josh Stewart and loosen up those linebackers a bit. Owens is pretty good over the middle too. Slip a Cowboy Back out there, not just on bootlegs.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Sanders issues have nothing to do with his confidence. Hell, that kid has plenty of confidence, and that’s what allowed him to finish games stronger than he starts at times. The reality is the coaches probably love that trait more than any others Sanders brings to the table. His issues are mechanical and I’m sure he works on those every day at practice. Mechanics are difficult to fix when you done things one way for as long as he can remember. Sanders gives us the best shot to win under the circumstances with an offensive line that pass blocks poorly. I’m just glad this kid believes in himself no matter what the adversity he faces on Saturday’s.
He's got to stop throwing off the back foot, but with our protection problems it might be hard to convince him to step into the throws each time. When he sets his feet and steps into throws, he's great. On the run he can be sketchy, but that dart to Pressley for a TD was beautiful.

There's hope. 6-0 is a hell of a place to be when you feel like there is a LOT of room to grow. Warren would be so much more effective if they did. Kendall Hunter 2.0.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I've begun to wonder if we could 2 or 3 designed drives for SI in the game plan. Specifically in the 3rd qtr or maybe goal line. Not sure if it's practical or not but it would be an adjustment for the defense.
Please don't put a passing QB in the place of a running QB in goal line situation. The shortened field don't help either.

Try put SI for 2 minute drills right before halftime or in games where we need score in the hurry driving from deep in our territory. Only to switch back to any dual threat QB as the field shortened.