Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
Not even close. I thought his comment came off as little brotherish. If I was wrong I am sorry @donnieh
You have a earned reputation of being negative, hating gundy and being a troll.
There has been a lot of talk after yesterday’s win about how the media was drooling all over Bijan (even after our defense held him in check in the second half) and giving the Pokes very little credit. That’s why I made the comment I made about your post. I give my opinion on Gundy the rest of the coaching staff. I feel Gundy does some really unorthodox things as a head coach, but it’s obviously working so far. One time this season I actually gave a prediction on a game (Texass game) and said we would lose and now I’m labeled a troll/little brother. But I also come back on here and admit when I’m wrong and I gladly eat my heaping plate of crow. I don’t agree with some coaching decisions, I don’t see how that makes me a troll. But, what Gundy has done with this team in spite of our offense is flat out amazing and most coaches would throw in the towel and play for next season.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Honestly, Texas is just soft. They are big and strong and fast and talented, but they are completely reliant on being in front. You hit them hard and they fold up. OU proved that and so did we. Been that way for a some time. I think their last QB helped with that in a way, but they just don't have the fortitude when the game gets tough.

Say what you will about Spencer Sanders, but dude is a competitor and does not fear the moment. He might not do what you want him to do, but he is going 100%. This team has heart and toughness. I worry about them offensively, but if they clean that up they could be scary good.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
There has been a lot of talk after yesterday’s win about how the media was drooling all over Bijan (even after our defense held him in check in the second half) and giving the Pokes very little credit. That’s why I made the comment I made about your post. I give my opinion on Gundy the rest of the coaching staff. I feel Gundy does some really unorthodox things as a head coach, but it’s obviously working so far. One time this season I actually gave a prediction on a game (Texass game) and said we would lose and now I’m labeled a troll/little brother. But I also come back on here and admit when I’m wrong and I gladly eat my heaping plate of crow. I don’t agree with some coaching decisions, I don’t see how that makes me a troll. But, what Gundy has done with this team in spite of our offense is flat out amazing and most coaches would throw in the towel and play for next season.
I should have been more clear. You are not a troll, the other poster I was quoting is.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I couldn’t even finish reading that. It was like a high schooler tried to write a paper about why his favorite player should get the Heisman.

Grade: D-
Lacks proper citation.
The thesis isn’t convincing.
Author’s bias is showing like the tits of a drunk coed with daddy issues at Mardis Gras.
I’m stealing that last line.
Biggest play- Taylor Pick6, instead of 24-3 made it 17-10, huge 14 pt swing

best coach- Glass , our guys were fresh. 6-7 times in the game Horns we’re down after a play ; OSU none , zero. Never had a player on the turf hurt or winded
The last 3 years, there is a noticeable uptick in excitement amongst the players on the sideline in the 4th qtr. They are right in front of us and even bench players are jumping around more. Assuming this is the defense philosophy of growing stronger instead of weaker as the game moves on. Almost a cross country runners attitude.
Made me go back and check. So you got the double funny on me.
What a game! It was even better watching the replay. And will have it on again while doing my house chores today.
I still can’t see it. Freaking dying.
Resident "Gundy hater" and troll, here. Just wanted to follow up with my thoughts after this game for those who don't have me on ignore.

1. I said last week that this game would be our first real indicator of how good this team is. All games before should have been pretty easy wins. This one was different. I stand by that statement even though Texas won't even be ranked this week, and have come away impressed with our team (especially the defense). It's one thing to do it against Boise or KSU with a backup QB. It's another to do it to Texas in Austin. Yes, we've owned them there, but nothing diminishes the obvious David vs Goliath battle taking place every time we play them. What a fantastic way to send them off to the SEC.

2. I'm slowly starting to embrace our identity more, even if its a more boring style of football. Our defense actually is good enough to lean on this year. Coupled with the beastly running of Warren, and it makes us tough to beat. I don't ever get hyped up about any aspect of our team based on coaches or media comments from the offseason like many of our fans do. Seems like every year we have the "best defense ever" or whatever, but it never pans out. I want evidence from games, not hype. These guys are living up to the hype so far, and they deserve major credit.

My biggest concern with this style is that we're basically one-dimensional. If a team is able to shut down the run (the best teams probably can), they could easily beat us. I'd like to see us play a more balanced, dink and dunk style to mitigate the risk of getting shut down, but whatever.... it's worked so far.

3. Our kicker looks solid as a rock. Really liked what I saw yesterday in a relatively hostile environment with a lot of pressure. If Gundy wants to play this style forever, though, we'll need to start recruiting more Dan Bailey and Quinn Sharp types, because FGs become more important when we can't score TDs on every other drive.

4. Hopefully Tay Martin got those drops out of his system, because they really, really impacted our game negatively (obviously). I won't write him off. It was one game, and his talent seems legit. He needs to put this one behind him and move on, and SS/staff will hopefully trust him to do just that. We'll need him to come up big in the last few games.

5. I liked our use of PA and misdirection in this game. It appeared to be well-utilized and well-timed. Hopefully we'll see more and more of that, because we look good doing it.

6. SS should only be throwing on the run from here on out.

7. We still need to find a way to keep Warren from carrying 35 times. He's fantastic, and I saw the need for it yesterday given the game situation. I just wish we could figure out a way to NOT be in that situation in the first place. Looked like we were trying, though. Probably related to Tay Martin's drops early in the game, or else we're probably not in that situation.
I was kidding in week 2 when I said Gundy was sandbagging us. Week 3 half serious. I’m convinced it’s all a ploy. Possibly always has been. But when it actually works………

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I just rewatched the game from yesterday. The o-line is pretty damn good at creating holes for Warren to run through but definitely lacking pass protection. How can they be so good at doing one thing and damn near horrible at the other? It seems to me that most of the passing plays downfield take way to long to develop. Thoughts?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I just rewatched the game from yesterday. The o-line is pretty damn good at creating holes for Warren to run through but definitely lacking pass protection. How can they be so good at doing one thing and damn near horrible at the other? It seems to me that most of the passing plays downfield take way to long to develop. Thoughts?
I got called an idiot for mentioning this in the Discord chat yesterday as a reason we weren’t trying Illingworth instead of Sanders.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
But did he also see Malcolm leave a Casey Thompson sized impression in the field at the Shorthorns stadium?

I think we need to strongly just recruit players with the initials MR.

Malcolm Rodriguez
Mason Rudolph
Does anyone have a replay clip of that hit? I missed it in the cowboy football post I guess.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
They think SI is infallible. My point was there was no point putting in SI without decent pass pro.
SI isn’t infallible either. I thought he was protected fairly well in the Missouri State game though. Protected much better than SS has been so far. Again, to me it looks like the passing plays down the field are either taking too long to develop OR SS is having a hard to making quick decisions, reading the defense. I’m not quite sure which it is. Which is why I think we should be attacking the middle of the field on short pass plays just like Holgerson, Monken and even Gundy used to do when they were calling plays.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
Sanders was 5-5 with a passing and a rushing TD in the 4th quarter.

I know I'm a Sanders defender and that Warren did all the heavy lifting late in the game, but I thought it should be noted that when the game was on the line #3 stayed in control and led us to the W.