Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
The disrespect for us in this game is unbelievable. Unranked vs, #8 in the country? Almost nobody is picking us. I agree it’s close to a toss-up but most prognosticators act like we have no chance. It would be a great time for the light bulb to come on for our offense. Keep our Defense fresh and I like our chances….ESPN Game Day saying 78% chance ISU wins. They’re acting like we’re KU or TTech.

UPDATE: The entire game day crew plus the fan vote all picked us. Bear was the only one who picked Iowa State and he went to Iowa State. I hope that’s not an SI type curse!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2011
It seems to me that all of the Iowa State hype rests on their beating KU and KSU. Kansas State is their signature win. They lost to Iowa and Baylor. When K State is your signature win, how can you be this cocky?

They have not come close to a win like we had in Austin. Are we capable of blowing this game. Yes. Definitely. But the Iowa State hype train could be headed off the cliff.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
It seems to me that all of the Iowa State hype rests on their beating KU and KSU. Kansas State is their signature win. They lost to Iowa and Baylor. When K State is your signature win, how can you be this cocky?

They have not come close to a win like we had in Austin. Are we capable of blowing this game. Yes. Definitely. But the Iowa State hype train could be headed off the cliff.
I don’t think it’s Iowa State hype but more so the “experts” comparing both teams’ offense and totally disregarding the defenses. In the day and age of offenses being sexy, we look like shrek to the “experts”. The sexier looking offense is always going to get a nod over us, especially on the road.

Jan 14, 2006
I think it comes down to our OTs vs their DEs. If we can run outside zone successfully and protect Spencer enough early that he doesn't get jumpy, I think we'll be in good shape on O.

Our veteran safeties and LBs match up nicely against their TE game. Hall is a good back, but Bijon was better.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I think it comes down to our OTs vs their DEs. If we can run outside zone successfully and protect Spencer enough early that he doesn't get jumpy, I think we'll be in good shape on O.

Our veteran safeties and LBs match up nicely against their TE game. Hall is a good back, but Bijon was better.
If SS can learn to step up in the pocket, let the outside rush go by him to the sides and then scramble if he needs to up the middle his numbers will improve dramatically. His instinct is to run left or right to the outside to a sideline and try to break it long. Not his fault, that was what he was brought up doing; he could outrun the defense in HS, but not so often in D1. He needs to take the 5 or 8 yard scramble up the middle and slide down - that's a positive play.

Jun 12, 2007
Everybody but Bear picked OSU to win today on ESPN College Gameday. With the ESPN generator saying OSU has a 22% chance to win today, surprised nearly all picked OSU.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
welp, Bill Walton picked us...good enough for me...in fact they all did on college game day...honestly i don't give a $h!t who picks us, does not matter or mean anything!
Go Pokes!!

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Pokes win 5-0...we force a safety in the first quarter then In the fourth quarter Sanders reveals a previously unknown talent set when, after a failed 3rd down attempt on the cyclone 40 yard line (following the Fourth turnover forced by the cowboy defense), he successful pulls a ‘Doug Flutie’ and converts a surprise drop kick
Freaking love it!

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Hopeful our guys play with a chip on their shoulder and make a statement this game. I still feel indifferent about this one though.
Indifferent (don’t care) or ambivalent (feel strongly both ways)? I care a lot about this game, but wouldn’t be greatly surprised by a loss.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
The disrespect for us in this game is unbelievable. Unranked vs, #8 in the country? Almost nobody is picking us. I agree it’s close to a toss-up but most prognosticators act like we have no chance. It would be a great time for the light bulb to come on for our offense. Keep our Defense fresh and I like our chances….ESPN Game Day saying 78% chance ISU wins. They’re acting like we’re KU or TTech.

UPDATE: The entire game day crew plus the fan vote all picked us. Bear was the only one who picked Iowa State and he went to Iowa State. I hope that’s not an SI type curse!
It’s really not that unbelievable if you reflect a little bit on last week. For 3 quarters, except for a defensive touchdown, our offense looked really bad. It continued the year long theme of calling plays so Sanders couldn’t make a mistake…limit turnovers in the passing game. Up to this point it’s worked. But if you just look at points scored per game this year for Iowa State and OSU it’s, 33.7 to 26.2 respectively. There’s your 7 point spread.

If we are going to win, Sanders needs to have a better than average day…a couple of touchdown passes, 50-70 yards rushing and less than 2 turnovers. I’m hoping that “4 star talented best player in Texas as a senior” shows up today. If so we win…if not I think the clones win by 10+.

Go Pokes…Go Sanders!!!