Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Baylor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2011
I did not hear the data analysis for Baylor’s fourth down efforts in their own territory. If someone would share the data on those two I would appreciate it.

Oct 24, 2020
Idaho
Hold on partner! Much too early to rule Baylor out of contention. We beat them last year too. They may not lose another regular season game!
Yea it feels like there is a pretty decent chance these two teams could meet again at the end of the season. Long way to go, but wouldn’t be surprising

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Yea it feels like there is a pretty decent chance these two teams could meet again at the end of the season. Long way to go, but wouldn’t be surprising
I think our ceiling is exponentially higher than theirs. Our defense will continue to get better and better and better every week. Derek Mason will get better every single week. The offensive line will only get better every single week. And they went up against the best unit they’ll face all year today. This team is positioned in the catbird seat to go make some absolute noise and quite honestly exorcise some demons. Whatever Baylor does from here on out has nothing to do with us.

On to tech beat the crap out of the Yosemite Sam’s.

Jan 14, 2006
I think our ceiling is exponentially higher than theirs. Our defense will continue to get better and better and better every week. Derek Mason will get better every single week. The offensive line will only get better every single week. And they went up against the best unit they’ll face all year today. This team is positioned in the catbird seat to go make some absolute noise and quite honestly exorcise some demons. Whatever Baylor does from here on out has nothing to do with us.

On to tech beat the crap out of the Yosemite Sam’s.
Great points.

The secondary is definitely getting better week by week. Let's not forget, this guy shredded our best D ever last year for a half. It wasn't perfect, but they did great today. Can't wait to see where they end up.

Likewise in the run game. We ran right at them quite a bit and found some success. Only going to get better as we won't face that good of a line until the playoff.

Both bode well for the rest of the year.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I remember a green Justice Hill fumbling almost in the same spot Ollie did. That one actually may have cost the game.

He'll be fine. Kid's a stud.
Yes....yes it did. I was there - sat through about an hour and a half lightning delay, about 2 minutes of which could be seen from the stadium and through which zero rain fell at the stadium. Freshman Hill was having a terrific game, his second fumble led to bu's winning td. In my ancient memory, anyway.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
We lost with both of them last year. We won today without them. I think Cobbs 4th down stop down by the goal line might have been the play of the game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
He darted in from nowhere and made that tackle - very Rodrigoesque.

Nov 6, 2010
Hold on partner! Much too early to rule Baylor out of contention. We beat them last year too. They may not lose another regular season game!
Not if Aranda keeps up his 4th down philosophy, it's like he he was drunk or something. THey were damn lucky we didn't beat them ou/TCU style with that nonsense.

Nov 18, 2011
Not if Aranda keeps up his 4th down philosophy, it's like he he was drunk or something. THey were damn lucky we didn't beat them ou/TCU style with that nonsense.
Really thought that kept them in the game, keeping drives alive. The big one they gambled and lost only cost them 3 pts I believe.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Really showed he thought OSU was that much better that he had to take those risks to stay in the game.
Night and Day from Big12 Champ game
Really thought that kept them in the game, keeping drives alive. The big one they gambled and lost only cost them 3 pts I believe.
I'll be curious to see if he's really embracing the analytics or it was more of a desperation ploy. The analytics should only work out if you follow them every time - if the coach is trying to pick/choose when he wants to believe in them he the same as any other coach deciding by gut instinct. I understand using analytics to decide if you want bunt or hit away, steal a base or play for a big inning, etc., especially over a 162 game regular season. I just don't believe it's going to work out when the temporary downside is going to demoralize a group of 18-22 year olds and results in easy points for your opponent. It's like fake punts/FGs or surprise onside kicks - great when they work, potentially awful when they don't.

I thought both of Gundy's calls, the early punt and the late FG, were absolutely the correct ones for the situations.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I'll be curious to see if he's really embracing the analytics or it was more of a desperation ploy. The analytics should only work out if you follow them every time - if the coach is trying to pick/choose when he wants to believe in them he the same as any other coach deciding by gut instinct. I understand using analytics to decide if you want bunt or hit away, steal a base or play for a big inning, etc., especially over a 162 game regular season. I just don't believe it's going to work out when the temporary downside is going to demoralize a group of 18-22 year olds and results in easy points for your opponent. It's like fake punts/FGs or surprise onside kicks - great when they work, potentially awful when they don't.

I thought both of Gundy's calls, the early punt and the late FG, were absolutely the correct ones for the situations.
Analytics just gives you the odds of it being a good decision. The sample size on 4th and 7 at your own 25 are so small there has to be a huge margin for error.

Dec 3, 2012
Your take is the correct one.

Baylor lost a 4th down in field goal territory, and lost a 4th down in their own territory that led to an OSU field goal. So, they lost 6 points on those two calls.

They also scored a touchdown on a 4th down call. So they gained 7 points on made 4th downs.

In net, they GAINED 1 point from their 4th down decisions.

Feb 7, 2011
Gundy indicated earlier in this year that the data analysis had become too much data for him to make decisions moment by moment in the game. His statement about not needing data analysis to know that pinning a team inside their ten yard line with a punt and knowing 90 yards is a long way to go is definitely worth a smile.

Oct 30, 2012
Rewatched the game this evening and my biggest takeaway is how well Kendal Daniels is playing! As he continues to gain experience, he is going to be unreal! I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s an early round pick in the draft down the road, his ceiling is so high and has the measurables the NFL guys love. Can’t wait to watch him develop, he made so many plays in this game.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Rewatched the game this evening and my biggest takeaway is how well Kendal Daniels is playing! As he continues to gain experience, he is going to be unreal! I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s an early round pick in the draft down the road, his ceiling is so high and has the measurables the NFL guys love. Can’t wait to watch him develop, he made so many plays in this game.
Yep. Good lord. He was a lightly recruited player because he was from a small town. He’s an nfl guy

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Yep. Good lord. He was a lightly recruited player because he was from a small town. He’s an nfl guy
Daniels was not lightly recruited. He's the highest rated defensive recruit in Gundy's tenure. According to 247, he was 4th best safety and 42nd best player overall.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kendal-Daniels-46080278/high-school-229797/

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk