Official Game Thread: Missouri State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
The whining after beating Missouri St on here is similar to what it was after lost to Houston or Troy ~15 years ago. Crazy.

The product has been consistently good for the last decade and yet this fanbase has so many that never appreciate how far things have come and only focus on where they aren't. I'm reminded of the lectures I give my young kids for not being thankful for what they've got.

It isn't odd- at all -for teams to look like junk in their opener, especially when it's an FCS opponent. Relax and enjoy the fact that we may actually have a normal football season without cancelations, with full stadiums. It certainly beats where we were anytime for the last 18 months.

Nov 18, 2011
The whining after beating Missouri St on here is similar to what it was after lost to Houston or Troy ~15 years ago. Crazy.

The product has been consistently good for the last decade and yet this fanbase has so many that never appreciate how far things have come and only focus on where they aren't. I'm reminded of the lectures I give my young kids for not being thankful for what they've got.

It isn't odd- at all -for teams to look like junk in their opener, especially when it's an FCS opponent. Relax and enjoy the fact that we may actually have a normal football season without cancelations, with full stadiums. It certainly beats where we were anytime for the last 18 months.
Complacency vs craving more. Just two different mindsets and personalities.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow

So since we have full stadiums we shouldn't expect to at least have offense that doesn't look like a Jr. high team and just be happy??

Oct 29, 2016
US

Yeah, I've never seen a fan base complain so much after a win. I get it tho.. there are obvious problems and questions.. IMO, the lack of a running game is a legit argument. But, my goodness... Can't people just enjoy a win and look forward to the next game? Negativity is such a bummer, especially after a win.

Apr 7, 2006
Fantasy? So we as a program have capped out and are as far as we can go?
Unfortunately I think we're either at our peak or very near it in terms of long term success. That's not to say we won't have better years but the reality is we're at a high enough level that the things above us are going to be very difficult to achieve with our budget, location, tradition and the current conference predicament. The budget gap between us and the bluebloods widens every day and we play in a system that is built for that to continue, if not accelerate.

There aren't many programs doing consistently what OSU has been doing over the last decade so that's not something to be disappointed in.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006
So since we have full stadiums we shouldn't expect to at least have offense that doesn't look like a Jr. high team and just be happy??
You might be exaggerating what I was trying to say just a bit... I was saying we need to relax a bit and recognize that game 1 issues aren't a new thing for anyone. There are people that immediately got out their "fire gundy" posts that they'd clearly been waiting for 9 months to get back out.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago

This post lays bare the cognitive dissonance of the pro-mediocrity side of this debate.

So the assertion is that we all agree "whining" after Houston and Troy losses was bad (we don't). You conveniently neglect that vocal complaints, and even really considering a coaching change, led to pressure that brought in Dana Holgorsen and revolutionized the OSU offense.

I'll happily go on the record saying the Troy loss was bad. More importantly, that's what we've reverted to. We need to raise holy hell and seriously amp up the pressure for Gundy to fix this or leave. It's been a long, 4-year slide into irrelevance.. most of the college football world thinks that UNC and Iowa State are better programs than us. Coastal Carolina even gets more respect than us today...just for beating Kansas and BYU last year.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Offensive play calling: It seems like we start the game and we use a variety of plays and spread the ball around to different areas of the field in the passing game. We even continue this after the scripted plays are done. However as the game progresses, we gradually lose the variety and only have 1 or 2 routes that we throw to by the 3rd quarter and they are all deep routes.

It seems like the worst thing that can happen to our offense is to actually hit on a deep ball early, because then that becomes almost all of our passing plays. It's like playing poker and always going for the Royal Flush.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
You might be exaggerating what I was trying to say just a bit... I was saying we need to relax a bit and recognize that game 1 issues aren't a new thing for anyone. There are people that immediately got out their "fire gundy" posts that they'd clearly been waiting for 9 months to get back out.
But the offense has looked exactly like this for the last 10 years...no routes between the numbers, rarely to a TE, yet we throw a 50/50 go route how many times a game?? The run game has dive right and dive left...how many misdirection/counters or sweep plays have you seen?

I don't want Gundy fired, but he has to open it up and let is OC's use some imagination.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
This post lays bare the cognitive dissonance of the pro-mediocrity side of this debate.

So the assertion is that we all agree "whining" after Houston and Troy losses was bad (we don't). You conveniently neglect that vocal complaints, and even really considering a coaching change, led to pressure that brought in Dana Holgorsen and revolutionized the OSU offense.

I'll happily go on the record saying the Troy loss was bad. More importantly, that's what we've reverted to. We need to raise holy hell and seriously amp up the pressure for Gundy to fix this or leave. It's been a long, 4-year slide into irrelevance.. most of the college football world thinks that UNC and Iowa State are better programs than us. Coastal Carolina even gets more respect than us today...just for beating Kansas and BYU last year.
This post lays bare the straw man arguments you keep creating. Just because most folks don't want to fire Gundy doesn't mean they are happy with mediocrity. We had 8 wins last year during a weird/crazy pandemic. If we played a full season, that would have likely been 10 wins. Gundy's record isn't mediocre.

Also, just because I don't want to fire Gundy doesn't mean I'm happy with his results. I'll give him a pass for last year for the reasons above. But the previous 2 years were subpar. I would be fine with Weiberg putting pressure on Gundy to get a more proven OC if Dunn underperforms this year. I could also see him pushing for a dedicated ST coach if we keep having issues in that area.

I don't think folks believe UNC and ISU are better PROGRAMS. They simply ranked the teams higher. ISU had the best record in the conference last year, so that isn't surprising. You seem to take the most negative view in order to cast a poor perception of Gundy. With our athletic budget, we are doing incredibly well. If you want the program to be an even greater success, you should focus your efforts on fundraising, not message board posts.

You don't have to agree with me, but I'd like to see a list of football programs that have gotten better results without a larger budget.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
This post lays bare the straw man arguments you keep creating. Just because most folks don't want to fire Gundy doesn't mean they are happy with mediocrity. We had 8 wins last year during a weird/crazy pandemic. If we played a full season, that would have likely been 10 wins. Gundy's record isn't mediocre.

Also, just because I don't want to fire Gundy doesn't mean I'm happy with his results. I'll give him a pass for last year for the reasons above. But the previous 2 years were subpar. I would be fine with Weiberg putting pressure on Gundy to get a more proven OC if Dunn underperforms this year. I could also see him pushing for a dedicated ST coach if we keep having issues in that area.

I don't think folks believe UNC and ISU are better PROGRAMS. They simply ranked the teams higher. ISU had the best record in the conference last year, so that isn't surprising. You seem to take the most negative view in order to cast a poor perception of Gundy. With our athletic budget, we are doing incredibly well. If you want the program to be an even greater success, you should focus your efforts on fundraising, not message board posts.

You don't have to agree with me, but I'd like to see a list of football programs that have gotten better results without a larger budget.
I think most folks actually do want to fire Gundy. He's made that the inevitable outcome however you slice it. If you look away from the football mediocrity (like even pretend he's moderately successful), he's still on an automatic rollover contract that never ends. This forces us to either fire him, or hope he coaches forever.

Should he ever abruptly retire or quit, the school will be left in a bad spot. We're a long ways from Gundy's prime...

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
AP poll which is used by most TV networks including ESPN: We drop from 26th in points to 31st.

Beat Missouri State by 20+, OSU is in the top 25. That would be a reward for the players offseason work, motivation going forward, and OSU receives the publicity (FREE RECRUITING MEDIA) that comes with being ranked.
Or
Shut down offensive play calling midway through the 2nd quarter. Only deep fades and run the ball up the middle for the rest of the game, so we can remain unranked.

Apr 7, 2006
I think most folks actually do want to fire Gundy. He's made that the inevitable outcome however you slice it. If you look away from the football mediocrity (like even pretend he's moderately successful), he's still on an automatic rollover contract that never ends. This forces us to either fire him, or hope he coaches forever.

Should he ever abruptly retire or quit, the school will be left in a bad spot. We're a long ways from Gundy's prime...
You've surrounded yourself with people that agree with you- go look at the survey of OSU fans done annually, most people don't want him fired. You're wrong in saying otherwise.

It was a bad decision to fire Gundy previously but it's now downright stupid given the instability the conference realignment has created.

You're buying into the fantasy that OSU, with a new coach, will climb to the next tier - that's frankly difficult for any program (regardless of coach) to get to. In reality we're at a tier that most programs would like to be at but struggle to get to including those with bigger budgets.

Does that mean you stop trying to get better, no? But you don't try to get better by cleaning house on what is ultimately a pretty successful staff.

Apr 27, 2006
But the offense has looked exactly like this for the last 10 years...no routes between the numbers, rarely to a TE, yet we throw a 50/50 go route how many times a game?? The run game has dive right and dive left...how many misdirection/counters or sweep plays have you seen?

I don't want Gundy fired, but he has to open it up and let is OC's use some imagination.
Don't hold your breath, so moving on is probalby the only option for meaningful change.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You've surrounded yourself with people that agree with you- go look at the survey of OSU fans done annually, most people don't want him fired. You're wrong in saying otherwise.

It was a bad decision to fire Gundy previously but it's now downright stupid given the instability the conference realignment has created.

You're buying into the fantasy that OSU, with a new coach, will climb to the next tier - that's frankly difficult for any program (regardless of coach) to get to. In reality we're at a tier that most programs would like to be at but struggle to get to including those with bigger budgets.

Does that mean you stop trying to get better, no? But you don't try to get better by cleaning house on what is ultimately a pretty successful staff.
You mean the survey of OSU fans on this message board? How is that not an echo chamber, and representative of only the more diehard fans?

Most OSU grads I know in real life are pretty tired of Gundy's schtick, and have stopped renewing tickets, watching games, buying gear, etc....because there's no longer an ROI worthy of their $$$ and weekends. That includes some that used to camp out / paint up for games, members of the marching band, and many casual fans that all attended (and love) OSU. I'm amazed that you don't see that as a problem.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Stop with the budget constraint argument. It's meaningless. You don't need a larger budget to throw a slant or avoid running up the middle into stacked boxes when your o-line is a weak link on your team, as has been the case since Wikline left, apparently.